4Runner lift

• HTML tutorial

Contributor II

You don't want to lift it that high for a whole bunch of reasons, mostly ride and handling, but stage 5 or 6 has things included that you don't need really. Grab their best shocks with the cdcv on them, go total chaos uca, it has better hardware, and lower rear control arms.. set that kit at "2.5 and with a 285 or 295 tire you will get 3-4" of lift.. if you have specific questions call the shop 630-777-1951.. we are happy to help bust the lift myths

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: BobG and Boort

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Best thing is to figure out how much lift you really need for what you are doing. A little less lift, rather than more, is better for what you will be doing 90%+ of the time. It's hard to say how much lift, which tires, how much armor you will need without knowing what you plan on doing.

Reactions: El Loco Barbon
Best thing is to figure out how much lift you really need for what you are doing. A little less lift, rather than more, is better for what you will be doing 90%+ of the time. It's hard to say how much lift, which tires, how much armor you will need without knowing what you plan on doing.
I'm really starting to see your point, Overlanding is new to me, I have been building crawlers for most of my life and in that game its bigger is always better. I plan on doing a rear bumper with a tire carrier, roof rack with fuel cans, leave the stock front bumper with a hidden wench, and skid plates, I figured if I went 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 after it settled and the extra weight it would sit about right.

Sent from my VS987 using OB Talk mobile app

You don't want to lift it that high for a whole bunch of reasons, mostly ride and handling, but stage 5 or 6 has things included that you don't need really. Grab their best shocks with the cdcv on them, go total chaos uca, it has better hardware, and lower rear control arms.. set that kit at "2.5 and with a 285 or 295 tire you will get 3-4" of lift.. if you have specific questions call the shop 630-777-1951.. we are happy to help bust the lift myths

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
I really like Total Chaos, that is the rought I originally wanted to go, do they make control arms that aren't wider?? I dont want to go the glass fender if I dont have to. Or can you run their arms and not have clearance issues??

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

So, wait for it, I promise this is good in the 4Runner thread...

I've been driving Jeeps for at least 20 years, and currently have a '14 JKUR that I built out for Overlanding versus rocks, etc. I call this one the "most mature" Jeep I've ever built, it is also the lowest and most capable - for Overlanding. But, I drove it stock on the first few long distance trips to see what I needed to do.

I recently picked up a '16 4Runner (here is the tie in) Trail and am planning on building it out as well - all I have done so far is a set of 275 70 17 BFG KO2s and have been taking it out here and there to see what I need before i just go for it with this one.

My recommendation - get out and use it, then decide what you want to do and in what order to do it.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

That said - I am likely to put the icon front shocks, targeting about 1.5 inches of lift, and the OME rear springs with the 'heavy duty' rate which provides about 440 pounds of Constant Spring load. I plan to run a rook rack, sometime with the RTT on it, plus a rear mounted storage drawer system - plus pull an off road trailer - which is why I am going for the 440 constant.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: El Loco Barbon

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

5100 billies
Those are the 5100 Bilstein shocks if your not familiar. As for the icon lift if you are set on going that direction then I know quite a few people that have the Icon Stage 2 which gives you some flexibility with how much lift you want to actually do (ranges from 0 - 3.5"). You can start low and lift it if you need more.

As a side note I have the OME 3" Heavy Duty lift but I would have preferred going with a 2" but I just got a deal for the 3". If I didnt get a deal on the OME I was planning to do the Bilstein 5100 shock upgrade with 2" lift coils.

Those are the 5100 Bilstein shocks if your not familiar. As for the icon lift if you are set on going that direction then I know quite a few people that have the Icon Stage 2 which gives you some flexibility with how much lift you want to actually do (ranges from 0 - 3.5"). You can start low and lift it if you need more.

As a side note I have the OME 3" Heavy Duty lift but I would have preferred going with a 2" but I just got a deal for the 3". If I didnt get a deal on the OME I was planning to do the Bilstein 5100 shock upgrade with 2" lift coils.
Thanks for the info, I'm not set on anything at this point, but from what I'm getting from everyone is to keep it simple for the most part. I really want to have something that I can jump in, drive 200-300-1000 miles at 75mph and than hop on a trail and have some fun. I really like Total Chaos and would like to run their control arms, but even that is up in the air.

Reactions: BobG