Overlander104

Rank I

Contributor III

Washington, USA
First Name
yee
Last Name
haw
I have added 285/70/17 onto my 5th gen 4runner which I found on multiple forums would fit as long as it was lifted which it has a 3inch lift. It rubs if under compression on the upper control arms on both sides and I can't seem to find anyone who has had the same problem.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I have the same 285/70/17 on our 5th gen with the bilstien shock lift.

I found conflicted reviews of whether they would rub or not, what I ended up doing was using my stock trd(not trd pro) wheels, and falken m/t’s. As they are narrower than other tires in the same size and mine don’t rub. However, it’s about 3/8 inch from hitting the UCA. I know there are some aftermarket arms available. I was looking at the total chaos UCA, luckily didn’t have to do it though.

Reactions: Overlander104

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@BubbaDev, thank you for asking this question. I just bought my Darling Wife @KRose new tires (Maxxis Razer 270/70/17) tires for her 4th Gen Runner last week, and today noticed rub on the sharp turns out of parking spots. Blistien 2.5” lift kit is on the list of near upgrades for her rig, but if 3” of lift and still rub, guess we need to look for some negative offset wheels as well.

Reactions: Overlander104

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I found this chart very helpful when deciding too

One thing to be cautious of when changing wheel offset, at least I know on the 5th gen, not certain in 4th gen. Once you start moving the offset out/wider wheels you will change where the center of the wheel pivots during turning, and may have body mount/fender clearance issues.

Last edited:

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I'll look into those UCA. And they only rub while turning and under compression but that is still a problem
I found multiple companies that made arms, most seemed to have varied reviews. Some require aftermarket wheels, which may or may not help the situation. I was looking at the total chaos higher level arms to be able to add some more alignment adjustability too. Since they use threaded heim joints on the top, I can play with them and get my alignment into the specs I would like to be at.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Sorry, Jeep guy here. On Wranglers the quick free fix is adding a washer to the steering stops.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Are you able to get in the wheel well and see exactly how bad things are rubbing? On my old F150 I ran tires that rubbed the radius arms for years and didn't have any problems. It's not ideal but a bit of rub isn't the end of the world. Or I would say if you just need a small bit of extra spacing wheel spacers might be a low cost option. Just be careful with spacers and follow the directions exactly. I'm not a fan of them honestly, but they could get you going.

Overlander104

Rank I

Contributor III

Washington, USA
First Name
yee
Last Name
haw
@Olander1 that is the same article I found when I bought the tires. The weird part is it say you may need body mount comp but it does even get that close to it. They only rub the upper control arms

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Are you able to get in the wheel well and see exactly how bad things are rubbing? On my old F150 I ran tires that rubbed the radius arms for years and didn't have any problems. It's not ideal but a bit of rub isn't the end of the world. Or I would say if you just need a small bit of extra spacing wheel spacers might be a low cost option. Just be careful with spacers and follow the directions exactly. I'm not a fan of them honestly, but they could get you going.
I deal with the rub on my 89 FS Bronco, wife won’t live with it on her 04 runner... it’s not bad rub... just scuffing the paint in the frame so far.... ordering offset wheels tomorrow... Schwabs might have a set in stock even... I don’t know though, will see tomorrow when we go in to ask about lift options.

Olander1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Carlos, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
R
Member #

@Olander1 that is the same article I found when I bought the tires. The weird part is it say you may need body mount comp but it does even get that close to it. They only rub the upper control arms
@BubbaDev it's interesting how there are so many different opinions on this topic. One thread said every 5th gen 4Runner is a tad bit different, which I'm not sure I believe. Keep in mind that normal street driving is one thing, but when fully articulated offroad is when rubbing can become a bigger issue.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Most people that I have seen discussing the body mount chop are running wider/different offset rims. When they stick out further, you gain room on the frame/UCA but at the cost of the turning angle moving outward. Which makes it hit in other areas.

I like stock rims for my toys. They always seem to fit the largest options with the least issues from my experiences.

Last edited:

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

@BubbaDev it's interesting how there are so many different opinions on this topic. One thread said every 5th gen 4Runner is a tad bit different, which I'm not sure I believe. Keep in mind that normal street driving is one thing, but when fully articulated offroad is when rubbing can become a bigger issue.
My personal thoughts are that few people actually have the same combination of wheel/tire/lift so they all seem different. I have also seen on other vehicles that we have lifted at work, where one clears, the next one doesn’t. So idk. Makes no sense sometimes. Lol

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Actual tire size can very greatly in the same size between manufacturers sometimes almost a inch wider and taller so that can lead to one tire rubbing when someone else runs the same size with no problems .

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Actual tire size can very greatly in the same size between manufacturers sometimes almost a inch wider and taller so that can lead to one tire rubbing when someone else runs the same size with no problems .
This is 100% true.

My spare (Firestone destination m/t) rubs. My falken m/t tires do not. But all are size 285/70/17

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I like stock rims for my toys. They always seem to fit the largest options with the least issues from my experiences.
This has worked well for me on my last 2 yoters. Plus the factory wheels are quite strong, even the aluminum ones.

And super easy to find if you do need to find one later.

Reactions: Offroadnutz