Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pensacola, Florida, United States
First Name
Tristan
Last Name
McMorran
Member #

After combing through the vast youtube videos and reviews I have decided to turn the experts in our own community to get the answers I need. Currently looking to get a hatch ladder for my 2018 4Runner and have yet to find a solid answer on whether or not I need new struts for the hatch as well as best ladder recommendation. At present I do not plan to have accessories hanging from ladder, but in future I plan to. Currently running a Prinsu rack and not that matching the roof rack matters, wouldnt mind a ladder that is close in design to the prinsu rack. Greatly appreciate the community advice!

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

My wife has the gobi rack and ladder on her 4runner. I climb up it all the time (at 220 lbs) and there are no issues. We have not upgraded the struts and it has been on over 1 year and no issues ( no gear mounted on ladder). I have read that some people have issues and some don't also read that some people have issues pulling hatch closed with the upgraded struts. It's her daily driver and is using the hatch all the time, so in my experience the upgraded struts are not necessary.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

After combing through the vast youtube videos and reviews I have decided to turn the experts in our own community to get the answers I need. Currently looking to get a hatch ladder for my 2018 4Runner and have yet to find a solid answer on whether or not I need new struts for the hatch as well as best ladder recommendation. At present I do not plan to have accessories hanging from ladder, but in future I plan to. Currently running a Prinsu rack and not that matching the roof rack matters, wouldnt mind a ladder that is close in design to the prinsu rack. Greatly appreciate the community advice!
I'm literally on your same boat right now and I have done extensive research on it (I'm leaning towards a C4 ladder).
Let me know if you want to know more details but my key takeaways are:
  • if you just plan to have a ladder, I would recommend new struts rated at about 250lbs force
  • if you plan to have a ladder with some accessories, like rotopax, trash bag, shovel, recovery boards, I would recommend new struts rated at about 300lbs force
I haven't done this myself yet so don't take my word for granted.
Also with the upgraded struts, it might be required a bit more force to close the hatch, especially in winter.

HighWahlScaler

Rank I

Member I

Ottawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Wahl
Member #

I'm in a similar boat, but I run 2011 LR4. I'm wanting to put the ladder on a swing hitch, so it doesn't interfere with my batwing.
But not sure the best set up.
Would it need to lock into the roof rack when closed? Or just float?

CoastieMo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Tristan
Last Name
McMorran
Member #

I'm in a similar boat, but I run 2011 LR4. I'm wanting to put the ladder on a swing hitch, so it doesn't interfere with my batwing.
But not sure the best set up.
Would it need to lock into the roof rack when closed? Or just float?
Not sure what you mean by lock to roof rack when closed, but great point with the 270° awning! I did not even consider that aspect as, I don't currently have an aftermarket rear bumper....but that is in planning! I dont have the batwing, but rather looking at the overland pros 2500 270° awning, it's not as rigid as batwing so I am thinking i can open hatch with awning open without major issues (for short times not extended times with hatch open into awning).

Reactions: HighWahlScaler

CoastieMo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Tristan
Last Name
McMorran
Member #

I'm literally on your same boat right now and I have done extensive research on it (I'm leaning towards a C4 ladder).
Let me know if you want to know more details but my key takeaways are:
  • if you just plan to have a ladder, I would recommend new struts rated at about 250lbs force
  • if you plan to have a ladder with some accessories, like rotopax, trash bag, shovel, recovery boards, I would recommend new struts rated at about 300lbs force
I haven't done this myself yet so don't take my word for granted.
Also with the upgraded struts, it might be required a bit more force to close the hatch, especially in winter.
I appreciate the heads up, if i where to have any kind of equipment stored on ladder would be recovery trax at most. I may just get the ladder and see how it goes as I can always upgrade the hatch struts later. The C4 does look sleek and matches the prinsu rack better than gobi rack.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I appreciate the heads up, if i where to have any kind of equipment stored on ladder would be recovery trax at most. I may just get the ladder and see how it goes as I can always upgrade the hatch struts later. The C4 does look sleek and matches the prinsu rack better than gobi rack.
Agree, also it comes pre-drilled so you have so many mounts options. And a big plus, lead times are MUCH lower.