4Runner Freaks: New Trail or New Pro?

• HTML tutorial

2017 Toyota 4Runner for Mr. R. Viking, Esq.

• Trail

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • TRD Pro

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Tribe,
My mind is starting to stir and I am thinking about buying a new 4Runner for next year.
(Major changes at work may put me back on the road, and afford such luxuries.)

Because of all the shifting around of features and functions, the only two models I am looking at are the Trail and the TRD PRO.

So here's the question:
Do I buy the TRD PRO, which is already tuned and lifted, etc, for everything I need it for?
Or, do I buy the Trail and put a lift and new tires on it (which I would do even before I took delivery on it)?

Anyone with a solid opinion, or who owns one of these - let me know!!!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My two cents, and I own a Trail Premium w/KDSS. This is the popular opinion I found on the T4r.org forum when I was researching:

If you plan on leaving the suspension alone, and plan to do some easy/medium/slightly difficult trails, the get the Pro.
If you plan to make suspension changes and run on technical trails, get a Trail and spend the difference on the suspension.

Depending on your location, you can get a Trail at or near invoice, and Pros frequently have $5k and more tacked on top of MSRP.

I went the third route: I plan on leaving my suspension alone until the day I find it is not up to snuff. It is more than capable for the vast majority of off road use I'll ever use it on. It will remain fully warranted the way, and more reliable.

You will find umpteen threads on T4R.org that might help persuade you one way or another.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We opted to go with the Trail Edition (Non-premium) and put the difference into tires, suspension (Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 2), and sliders. It handles better than factory and goes anywhere we care to take it. We love the idea of a TRD Pro, but it's just not worth the price difference IMO.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

@Steve and @stringtwelve -
Thanks for responding!

Before I put all the work into my current 4Runner, I headed out to all of the forums and read up on what you actually got out of each trim level - found out that they took the locking diff out of the SR5 - and decided that I was going to get the Trail. Then I had an opportunity to drive a PRO and was impressed with the handling - both on and off road, albeit the off-roading wasn't much more than some rutting trails out back behind the dealership.

The negatives of the PRO are the over all cost (even with the mods to a Trail version, it would still be expensive) and the 3-6 month wait on 2017's.

I mean, let's be real here, I want the PRO for the badging and grill....
Hahaha. J/K.

Thank you gentlemen. Not having any experience with the Trail myself, your info helped!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Well now that you can get that Plastidip stuff everywhere, I've been blacking out everything and its held up since the Spring.
And there's actually a ton of guys SELLING those grills because they don't like them.
I tend to get a good deal on parts at my local dealership - but I don't want to spend cash where I don't need to.

That looks nice and clean right there, my friend.. Nice.. And.. Clean.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Did you do the vacuum forming yourself or is it something that you bought off the shelf and adhered to the stock pieces? It looks flawless.
I bought a complete set from eBay. It wasn't cheap at something around $70, but I'd never done plastidip before and didn't want it looking like crap. See my build thread linked in my dig for the info.

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I bought a complete set from eBay. It wasn't cheap at something around $70, but I'd never done plastidip before and didn't want it looking like crap. See my build thread linked in my dig for the info.
I'll check it out right away!

Plastidip works in the right conditions on the right materials. I did all of my badging and it looks fantastic - except for my rear Toyota Emblem which I did when it was a little cold and clammy out.