Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

I'm working on a "drawer" system for my 4Runner. I have the factory slide-out tray and wanted to work around it for now. This is based off of Mitch Caldwell's design.

It's designed to fit 4 Front Runner WolfPacks. If you use the Cub Packs instead, you may be able to flip the sliders upside down and fit them inside the "drawers." There's also room for a front lip or face if needed. With the Wolf Packs removed, the slide can work as a cooking surface and I could also add a cutout for a collapsible sink (and to shed some more weight).

White box on top is my WaterPort, for reference. Might put it on a slide-out tray, US Cargo airline-style tracks will me installed on the top shelf for securing anything on top.

May add wings and supports and possibly a removable sleeping extension. And cut out some plywood holes on the side walls to save even more weight.

What do y'all think? Yay/nay? What would you add or change?

Drawer/Slide idea. Ignore missing right seat. White box is my WaterPort.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Looks very useful! My only suggestion is to cut weight wherever possible without sacrificing strength. Cutting holes is a great idea.

View attachment 258776
Thanks. (long time viewer and subscriber! Love the content).

Part of the reason I'm adapting this to use the WolfPacks is to save on weight (and make it easier to move things around and not have them always in the truck).

I need to see how much I can cut out without compromising the structural integrity of the box.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Some new changes to this design:

1. Redesigned the tray geometry to provide a full flat surface on top. I'm thinking this will be stronger and easier to clean if used for meal prep, etc.
2. Replaced the top 3/4" of the side wall with a separate piece where I can add t-nuts to attach the top shelf. Thinking this should make it easier to remove and store.

Need to figure out the wings and sleeping extension.

2023-05-27_20-34-07.png

Reactions: Front Runner - Jolo

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

I'm working on a "drawer" system for my 4Runner. I have the factory slide-out tray and wanted to work around it for now. This is based off of Mitch Caldwell's design.

It's designed to fit 4 Front Runner WolfPacks. If you use the Cub Packs instead, you may be able to flip the sliders upside down and fit them inside the "drawers." There's also room for a front lip or face if needed. With the Wolf Packs removed, the slide can work as a cooking surface and I could also add a cutout for a collapsible sink (and to shed some more weight).

White box on top is my WaterPort, for reference. Might put it on a slide-out tray, US Cargo airline-style tracks will me installed on the top shelf for securing anything on top.

May add wings and supports and possibly a removable sleeping extension. And cut out some plywood holes on the side walls to save even more weight.

View attachment 258754
This looks great! If I may ask, what software did you use to draw this out. I still do the chicken scratch on a piece of paper but would like to start using something more with the times! Lol

Reactions: cgranier

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

View attachment 258754
This looks great! If I may ask, what software did you use to draw this out. I still do the chicken scratch on a piece of paper but would like to start using something more with the times! Lol
I've been using sketchup. The free only version is enough to build something like this, once you figure out the software (not entirely intuitive). You can also find an older version of Sketchup that you can install locally on your computer (but they don't make it or distribute it anymore and won't load the newer files).

There's another software called OnShape (OnShape.pro) that's a bit more advanced.

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

View attachment 258754
I've been using sketchup. The free only version is enough to build something like this, once you figure out the software (not entirely intuitive). You can also find an older version of Sketchup that you can install locally on your computer (but they don't make it or distribute it anymore and won't load the newer files).

There's another software called OnShape (OnShape.pro) that's a bit more advanced.
Appreciate the info!!

Reactions: cgranier

Enthusiast II

Agoura Hills, CA, USA
First Name
Jolo
Last Name
Bejasa
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Silverback

View attachment 258754
Awesome concept! Can't wait to see the final product!