• HTML tutorial

my_3g4r

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orange
Member #

@my_3g4r

Nice, any idea what it weighs? looks like you made the slides for the left drawer. any details on what you used? Looks easy, how have they worked?

Boort
Hello, yes the slides on the left is just some 5/8 square bar and 3/4 channel that it slides in. I used some wd40 and it slides pretty well.

Reactions: Boort

my_3g4r

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orange
Member #

@my_3g4r

Nice, any idea what it weighs? looks like you made the slides for the left drawer. any details on what you used? Looks easy, how have they worked?

Boort
Im not sure on weight. I used 3/4 plywood painted with bedliner. 1x1 square aluminum tube, and 1/8 alum plate.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@my_3g4r
Hello, yes the slides on the left is just some 5/8 square bar and 3/4 channel that it slides in. I used some wd40 and it slides pretty well.
Sweet. If you start seeing metal shavings or wear on either side of the contact surfaces check out HDPE tape from Rockler ( http://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-friction-free-drawer-slide-tape ) or similar. We used this to fix the wood on wood wear that started on my dad's drawer system. That system is no well over 10 years old and still installed in his latest Van.

Im not sure on weight. I used 3/4 plywood painted with bedliner. 1x1 square aluminum tube, and 1/8 alum plate.
Cool, I was trying to get an idea for the weight difference between the Aluminum / Plywood system vs the 150 Lbs my 1/2" Baltic Birch system weighs.

Boort

my_3g4r

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orange
Member #

@my_3g4r

Sweet. If you start seeing metal shavings or wear on either side of the contact surfaces check out HDPE tape from Rockler ( http://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-friction-free-drawer-slide-tape ) or similar. We used this to fix the wood on wood wear that started on my dad's drawer system. That system is no well over 10 years old and still installed in his latest Van.

Cool, I was trying to get an idea for the weight difference between the Aluminum / Plywood system vs the 150 Lbs my 1/2" Baltic Birch system weighs.

Boort
Cool, ill look into that product. Thank you. The frame is definitely light. The aluminum drawers were heavier than I expected. I liked the aluminum finish though. If i were to do it again, i might try making the drawers out of 1/2 plywood, then just make the drawer face out of aluminum and keep the frame the way its built.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@my_3g4r
Cool, ill look into that product. Thank you. The frame is definitely light. The aluminum drawers were heavier than I expected. I liked the aluminum finish though. If i were to do it again, i might try making the drawers out of 1/2 plywood, then just make the drawer face out of aluminum and keep the frame the way its built.
I liked your finish job as well and did not realize there was wood under the bedliner, I figured since you made the drawers from metal you had a metal top wrapped around a frame as well.

Interesting I was thinking I might shave some weight and gain and 3/8"height and 1/2 - 3/4" across the width of drawer capacity changing the drawers from 1/2 Ply to metal. My concern was possible noise as the Ply drawers are nice and quiet. How do your's sound?

After I get back from this weekend's trip I'll have to look up my weight break down and post. I think I still have the weights of the various components: Carcass , Drawers, Side flaps, Drawer Fronts / Side face-plates (Not yet installed), and Sleeping platforms. I took some efforts to lighten the load but still installed at right about 150 lbs. I figure I could shave maybe another 5 Lbs with some creative router work to lighten the carcass and drawers by cutting 1/4" pockets in non structural areas.

Boort

my_3g4r

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orange
Member #

@my_3g4r

I liked your finish job as well and did not realize there was wood under the bedliner, I figured since you made the drawers from metal you had a metal top wrapped around a frame as well.

Interesting I was thinking I might shave some weight and gain and 3/8"height and 1/2 - 3/4" across the width of drawer capacity changing the drawers from 1/2 Ply to metal. My concern was possible noise as the Ply drawers are nice and quiet. How do your's sound?

After I get back from this weekend's trip I'll have to look up my weight break down and post. I think I still have the weights of the various components: Carcass , Drawers, Side flaps, Drawer Fronts / Side face-plates (Not yet installed), and Sleeping platforms. I took some efforts to lighten the load but still installed at right about 150 lbs. I figure I could shave maybe another 5 Lbs with some creative router work to lighten the carcass and drawers by cutting 1/4" pockets in non structural areas.

Boort
Yeah so the frame is alum, and drawers with the exception of one bottom of one drawer is aluminum. Topped with plywood and trimmed out on front with angle aluminum.