4runner cargo sleeping platform/storage

• HTML tutorial

Mgc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

So I do a lot of camping on the sand and I decided to turn the back of my 4runner into a sleeping platform. , since sleeping in a tent on sand isn’t the most comfortable thing. I am on a budget and like to keep things lean and practical.

So I decided build a platform bed for my 4runner.

Here’s the initial project. It took me about 1 hour to make.

Here are the materials

3/4 inch 4x8 plywood
5 10’inch galvanized plumbing pipes

10 1/2inch flanges for support.

To support the second half I used

2 15inch pipes
2 elbow
2 2inch nipples

Ps really you can do anything you want with this part just get creative.

The second half that goes over the seats just slides into place and is supported by the configuration mentioned above.

10 inches off the cargo ground gives you plenty of space to store tables, chairs sleeping bags etc.

Next step is to wrap it in carpet and build a tri-fold mattress. If anyone has any ideas on this please share.

Maybe in the future I’ll hinge the second half and cut it down the middle of the seats to give it more flexibility. Although the current configuration is nice since it can easily be stored in the garage when I am not using it.

I think total project cost about 100 bucks.

I’ll post updates when I make more modifications.

PS ... share your configurations.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

srad2

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joshua, Texas
Member #

Nice, what mattress is that?
Thanks. Bought it on Amazon but the link won't post. You can search Amazon for this:

Best Choice Products Portable 3" Tri Folding Gel Memory Foam Mattress Floor Mattress W/ Removable Cover

R3MtnRunner

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
What length laying flat do you have in there with that, I've always wondered if it would even be long enough for me to sleep on...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

One of the guys on Ih8mud did a low budget sleeping platform similar to yours, but instead of using the pipes to hold it up he just slid some totes, 4 large ones under the plywood. So this way the wood is supported for sleeping but you have compartmentalized storage. I think your design is better because it wont let the wood budge, but maybe you can find some totes or milk crates that fit under there. That will provide support and storage

Reactions: 4TrekR

Mgc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

One of the guys on Ih8mud did a low budget sleeping platform similar to yours, but instead of using the pipes to hold it up he just slid some totes, 4 large ones under the plywood. So this way the wood is supported for sleeping but you have compartmentalized storage. I think your design is better because it wont let the wood budge, but maybe you can find some totes or milk crates that fit under there. That will provide support and storage
Cool thanks! Do you have link? I’d like to see how he did the milk crates. I was thinking of using low profile bins. But milk crates might work too.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

srad2

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Joshua, Texas
Member #

What length laying flat do you have in there with that, I've always wondered if it would even be long enough for me to sleep on...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Not sure who you are asking. I am 5-10 and sleep in mine with my wife. 6 foot would be about the limit.

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

@Mgc that's a nice simple solution
@srad2 thanks for posting the info on that mattress, I've been looking for a good solution for my setup.

Here's mine, that's almost complete. Some carpet to cover the two pieces over the folded down rear seats, and a couple of brackets for support, and it'll be done.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

This is one I did in my second gen 4runner years ago . Everything had a place and I was always ready to take off for adventures. The sleeping extensions would fold up against the back seats so I still had most of the cargo area and the drawers eventually got pieces of wood on them so I had mini tables E9A86FB4-A592-4D53-B0E4-DD308B8B20D7.jpgF9961635-0768-401D-9F36-E6CB225898ED.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Looking Good.... I did a similar set up with tubes and slats. It worked well. The longest trip in this config was 15 days up the west coast to Canada and back.
Platform.jpg

Reactions: davis31052

Ice4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor I

Here is my insert for Gen 5 4runner. sleeps 2 queen size. also folds up so 2nd row seats can fold. pulls out in 20 seconds. i have added more drawers, etc. fits 5 gallon water jugs. i do build and sell them in boulder, co
20160924_170649.jpg

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@JersT4R
Here's mine, that's almost complete.
Do you store the bed platforms that cover the 2nd row seats in the truck? or is it a case where they are out of the truck when the seats are up?
I've been looking for a way to do this in my 2006 T4R but have not yet found a way that works well. Wondering if you have...

Boort

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

@JersT4R
Do you store the bed platforms that cover the 2nd row seats in the truck? or is it a case where they are out of the truck when the seats are up?
I've been looking for a way to do this in my 2006 T4R but have not yet found a way that works well. Wondering if you have...
Boort
I haven't found a way of storing these 2 platforms in the T4R, so I keep them in my shed until I need them.

Reactions: Boort