• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Joaquin Suave Browsing Land Rovers for one in decent shape taught me to buy a Ford... So far, put 40k+ on it with no problems I didn't cause myself, ha ha.

I want a Disco 2 body with a Chrysler 360CI and a Ford 4R70W, on a shortened Chevy 2500 frame. The ultimate vehicle for all purposes... I can dream, right? :P

• Haha
Reactions: Joaquin Suave

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
That sounds like a nightmare. Why choose a guppy frame?

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

@Joaquin Suave Browsing Land Rovers for one in decent shape taught me to buy a Ford... So far, put 40k+ on it with no problems I didn't cause myself, ha ha.

I want a Disco 2 body with a Chrysler 360CI and a Ford 4R70W, on a shortened Chevy 2500 frame. The ultimate vehicle for all purposes... I can dream, right? :P
Guess it depends on which Rover. I know of an unmodified (except for an overdrive), 1950s SI Rover that completed a 4K mile trip across the US earlier this year. Know of a guy who has crossed the country several times in an unmodified 1960s SII, as well as a few other Series owners that have done the same. And then there is 'Oxford', the 1950s SI that went from Singapore to London, a couple years ago; it repeated the original trip done in the '50s, but reverse.

Reactions: DintDobbs

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I have no doubt! And I'd wager that they also got to meet several good mechanic along the way! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Actually, not that many. The most recent trip had only one, very minor hiccup, and the owner had it fixed in a couple hours. Most of the owners of these rigs are competent mechanics and can make roadside repairs on their own. Sadly, most owners of modern rigs can't do the same.

I have found it harder to work on more modern vehicles than my vintage SIIa Rover.

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MidOH All I have to do is learn to weld.

@Correus I have learned that any car will turn you into a competent mechanic, unless you like paying competent-mechanic labor costs!

Nevertheless, totally agreed on older cars being easy to work on! It's like an extra-big lawn mower engine, and that's about it. The suspensions tended to be very simple as well. Sophistication makes the average consumer's life more comfortable, and the DIYer's life more complicated!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
It is funny I see posts by new Discovery owners asking would you drive 600 -700 miles hiway. I have no issue driving my 04 285 miles each way to see my "younger", he is 63, brother. Now that is hiway some of it a bit remote no cell still no issues. The local LR group did 1200 miles offroad over 8 days with zero breakdowns and most times no cell service, mind I had a heater hose clamp vibrate loose so tiny coolant leak, 30 sec fix no drama.

Keep up on maintenance and most vehicles are reliable

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

@Correus I have learned that any car will turn you into a competent mechanic, unless you like paying competent-mechanic labor costs!
Absolutely!!! I barely knew how to change spark plugs and do an oil change before getting my SIIa. It has taken years to get it where it is now. Part of the deal made with SWMBO in order for me to buy it was that I learn how to fix it. It's been a slow process, but I can honestly say I did 80% of all the work myself. Also, there aren't really any vintage Rover mechanics in my area. The closest is a guy who specializes in Rovers, but he won't touch anything okder than 1985.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
My most personally-involved project was this Durango, got it from a family member after it was wrecked. The frame tails were bent, the bumper was stuck through the radiator and into the fan clutch, both fenders were folded, and it needed a few miscellaneous maintenance items... Basically a vehicle fits together like LEGO bricks, you just have to be dedicated enough to follow all 1,000 steps in the instruction manual and you can do whatever enters your mind.

Then, I used it to tow my Explorer 500 miles across the state and back.

Attachments