Launch Member

Member I

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fallon
Member #

I bought this Grand Cherokee about two years ago for $400, I started working on the basics to get it reliable first. The new catalytic converter, and a couple of sensors needed to be replaced. Here are some pictures of the starting project!

and_yourfriend_steve

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fallon
Member #

First major upgrade I did was a steel rear bumper from RockHard 4x4 which I found a good deal on facebook marketplace

After the rear bumper, I gave Rhino-Rack a call and was able to find someone that worked there that had a Grand Cherokee that had already done the leg work figuring out how to mount a Rhino-Rack on my Jeep. I also took the time to rip off that stupid looking lightbar.

Wesley Wooten

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilsonville, AL, USA
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Wooten
Member #

and_yourfriend_steve

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fallon
Member #

Wesley,
I kinda just threw these together. I don't have any kind of plans for these. What I did first was made a base that was bolted in the back of the truck kind of like a goose gear plate. I used these screw-in bolt fasteners that I got off of amazon to secure the drawer system.

Here are the drawer slides that I used.
I just measured the back of the Jeep and just figured out dimensions from there. I started with the base measurement and figured out how high I wanted them to be. Once I figured out measurements I started with the bottom and built the uprights there are four. I then cut the tops and screwed them down, the back is one solid piece and this tied them together and made it very strong. I coated them with truck bed liner and then built the drawers. These are pretty heavy and I plan on making them out of 8020 in the future to cut down on weight but it is really expensive.

Reactions: Wesley Wooten

Wesley Wooten

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilsonville, AL, USA
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Wooten
Member #

Wesley,
I kinda just threw these together. I don't have any kind of plans for these. What I did first was made a base that was bolted in the back of the truck kind of like a goose gear plate. I used these screw-in bolt fasteners that I got off of amazon to secure the drawer system.
View attachment 108109

Here are the drawer slides that I used.
I just measured the back of the Jeep and just figured out dimensions from there. I started with the base measurement and figured out how high I wanted them to be. Once I figured out measurements I started with the bottom and built the uprights there are four. I then cut the tops and screwed them down, the back is one solid piece and this tied them together and made it very strong. I coated them with truck bed liner and then built the drawers. These are pretty heavy and I plan on making them out of 8020 in the future to cut down on weight but it is really expensive.

View attachment 108110View attachment 108111
I'm going to look into making a similar set up in the back of my fj. Thanks!

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

Awesome budget/DIY build! Looking forward to seeing what else you do with it.

How are the Ironman tires? Been considering them for my Jimmy when I get around to purchasing... Might look into the Ironman MTs, I read the ATs don't do well in snow.

and_yourfriend_steve

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fallon
Member #

Awesome budget/DIY build! Looking forward to seeing what else you do with it.

How are the Ironman tires? Been considering them for my Jimmy when I get around to purchasing... Might look into the Ironman MTs, I read the ATs don't do well in snow.
Thanks! The Ironman tires have worked great but I do not have snow to contend with where I am. I have done some pretty serious trails with them and no complaints.

Reactions: Forte