40 year old dream van.

• HTML tutorial

Truck mechanic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First a little back ground. I was a teen in the 70s when the thing to have was a van. I remember walking to places to see a van show. There was even a Dodge dealer around the coner from where I grew up, they did a van convertion in there lot over a week. yup I went and watched every day. At that time dad drove a 72 ford pick up. one day we were going by the local ford dealer where he had got the 72. Dad wanted to stop and look at the new trucks, as we pulled in to the lot he said "don't tell your mother" lol. as he looked at the trucks with me by his side, I looked over and across the lot was a red van that sat head and shoulders over the rest. I ran over to see what it was, and there sat a 4x4 cargo van. I was hooked. this had to be some time around 1977-78. I never forgot that van, I told my dad that "some day I'm gonna have one of those" well that day has come, and the funny thing is the van is a 78. sadly dad is gone, but I'm sure he would have remembered that day. Here is a photo of it as a buddy of mine picked it up in Nj yesterday. Its going to be in my yard some time tomorrow. Hasn't been on the road in over 20 years so Ill need to go through it before it hits the road, but I am looking forward to traveling with the old girl.78 van.jpg

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I too, was in high school in the mid 70's. Being a musician I always had to have a van or truck with a topper because we had to haul mountains of speakers, amps, and drums.

I've had many vans, even a mid 60's Apache, but NEVER had a 4x4 van.

Awesome !

Reactions: Truck mechanic

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

First a little back ground. I was a teen in the 70s when the thing to have was a van. I remember walking to places to see a van show. There was even a Dodge dealer around the coner from where I grew up, they did a van convertion in there lot over a week. yup I went and watched every day. At that time dad drove a 72 ford pick up. one day we were going by the local ford dealer where he had got the 72. Dad wanted to stop and look at the new trucks, as we pulled in to the lot he said "don't tell your mother" lol. as he looked at the trucks with me by his side, I looked over and across the lot was a red van that sat head and shoulders over the rest. I ran over to see what it was, and there sat a 4x4 cargo van. I was hooked. this had to be some time around 1977-78. I never forgot that van, I told my dad that "some day I'm gonna have one of those" well that day has come, and the funny thing is the van is a 78. sadly dad is gone, but I'm sure he would have remembered that day. Here is a photo of it as a buddy of mine picked it up in Nj yesterday. Its going to be in my yard some time tomorrow. Hasn't been on the road in over 20 years so Ill need to go through it before it hits the road, but I am looking forward to traveling with the old girl.View attachment 16935
That is awesome.

izzmonster40

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Paradise, Ca.
Member #

First a little back ground. I was a teen in the 70s when the thing to have was a van. I remember walking to places to see a van show. There was even a Dodge dealer around the coner from where I grew up, they did a van convertion in there lot over a week. yup I went and watched every day. At that time dad drove a 72 ford pick up. one day we were going by the local ford dealer where he had got the 72. Dad wanted to stop and look at the new trucks, as we pulled in to the lot he said "don't tell your mother" lol. as he looked at the trucks with me by his side, I looked over and across the lot was a red van that sat head and shoulders over the rest. I ran over to see what it was, and there sat a 4x4 cargo van. I was hooked. this had to be some time around 1977-78. I never forgot that van, I told my dad that "some day I'm gonna have one of those" well that day has come, and the funny thing is the van is a 78. sadly dad is gone, but I'm sure he would have remembered that day. Here is a photo of it as a buddy of mine picked it up in Nj yesterday. Its going to be in my yard some time tomorrow. Hasn't been on the road in over 20 years so Ill need to go through it before it hits the road, but I am looking forward to traveling with the old girl.View attachment 16935
Super excited for you. Will keep an eye on your thread. My wife and I had a 2wd window van that we dyi converted. Many adventure memories in that for sure

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Great find. I drive a 4x4 E350 V10 for work. Just be prepared to answer a lot of questions when you drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Truck mechanic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Well no photos, but started working on the old girl today. The van hasn't been on the road since 2000. Not a surprise but found both fuel tanks full of rest. What was a surprise, was one call to napa and they are on their way. same with the heater core, front e brake cable, wheel cly.s . All avalible. I just not used to that after owning a Scout for 15 years. lol. I am amazed at how rust free the old girl is. and everything so far has come apart with out the heat wrench. Ill get the tanks in, order up a new carb and see how she runs. then Ill start the fun stuff.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We have a Chevy we travel and camp in, customized to the max, Solar , pressured water , 2000 watt pure sign wave inverter, 2 group 31 AGM s , microwave, coffee maker, frig, AC, AV system, Bule Seas battery link system,CB, 2M, marine VHF. When we camp we set the van (The Duke) as base camp. Nice to see others vans coming onboard!

Truck mechanic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

We have a Chevy we travel and camp in, customized to the max, Solar , pressured water , 2000 watt pure sign wave inverter, 2 group 31 AGM s , microwave, coffee maker, frig, AC, AV system, Bule Seas battery link system,CB, 2M, marine VHF. When we camp we set the van (The Duke) as base camp. Nice to see others vans coming onboard!
sounds like quite the rig. hopefully mine will be up and running soon. Got a little side tracket with my work truck loosing a motor. got to fix the stuff that brings in the money first.

Reactions: Flipper