Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Super excited about my trip to go on the first of many Overlanding trips with my wife and our dog Cannoli. We are either leaving next week or the following, depending on some personal stuff. We plan on going to several ghost towns northwest of Lovelock, then a trip down to Bodie. I have camped, explored both as a family and alone, but a long journey with multiple stops in middle Nevada is a bit unnerving but exhilarating. I hope to share in this post pictures and information when we return. This is our first trip, also the first trip with our new trailer. I am sure we will have some learning lessons, but that is part of the adventure.

I found planning the trip fun. Using different apps, putting everything into Garmin and outlining our route was a good experience. I learned many things during that process. First, Garmin needs to work on its planning tools. Second, a combo of Google Earth CalTopo work excellent and both were free. I was able to use those two tools and bring everything into my Garmin Overlander and 66I. I am confident that I have a good route plotted and ready. Then planning food, water gas was interesting, especially moving from a packed JKU to a Gladiator with a bed. Throw in a new trailer.

Deciding what to take. I come from years of 4 wheeling. Doing that, I tend to over-prepare and bring everything under the sun. Trying to pair it down is a thought process. My Gladiator Rubicon is not as equipped as my JKU but equally as capable. That is purposeful. The Gladiator build differently. I did not want complicated; therefore, I went to a modular style. For example, onboard air is not portable. Lockers are stock lift mild but enough. My focus with the Gladiator from day one was mild and capable. I will not be doing extreme rock crawling, but I needed to be ready if needed. Modular has its limitations. It means I have less room, and for longer trips, I have to conscience what I pack. I am still working on the final packing list and how I am going to fit. I am finding between the trailer and the Gladiator. I should not have any problems with weight or space.

Over the weekend I am going to finalize my list and prepare everything that I am going to pack. Then move the trailer up and load it and the Gladiator for a test. If that goes well I will leave it packed and be ready for launch.

I will update as I can.

Trailer:
imagejpeg_0.jpg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
What ghost towns you hitting besides Bodie? You leaving from California, what part?

I am in Reno and might know a few places for you to stop at, but then again, to many is often not as fun....

Please post pics and keep us updated.

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Also we still have snow in higher elevations and shady spots, trails can be muddy and rutty.....

Jim

Reactions: RoarinRow

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Also we still have snow in higher elevations and shady spots, trails can be muddy and rutty.....

Jim
Thanks.

We are going to the following. Please let me know your thoughts. We are coming from the Sierras, probably over 88 maybe 80. Just depends on my mood.

Mazuma
Placerites
Rabbithole Springs (& Black Rock Desert)
Scossa
Tunnel
Vernon

Otis Porsche

Rank II

Enthusiast III

If you happen upon any playa's be careful of surface conditions. Ask locally and avoid damp / wet areas.
Spring runoff means wet surfaces / sub-surface that are difficult / expensive to recover from.
.DSC_5598a_Panorama1 - SMALLL.jpg

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Not sure other than out in the playa, it was a post on some other site I ran across.....Just stop and ask the locals and look at the tracks.

Jim

Reactions: Otis Porsche

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Sounds like a great trip, any after thoughts to share?

We did a trip a few years back to Bodie and went down out to Aurora (old town site) on the list to go this year once the snow is gone and I get another 5 gal gas container on the rig!

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Dress warmly. It got cold at night and in the morning.
Thank you for the note on that, nothing worse then planning 50s and getting 30s!!

We camped in Death Valley over Tday and it was arctic once the sun went down! - Camp wrapped up about oh 7pm to get into the sleeping bags…

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Dress warmly. It got cold at night and in the morning.
It is amazing how fast it went from warm to artic. The trailer helped. I went and bought a heater right after

Thank you for the note on that, nothing worse then planning 50s and getting 30s!!

We camped in Death Valley over Tday and it was arctic once the sun went down! - Camp wrapped up about oh 7pm to get into the sleeping bags…