Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fairborn, OH, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Pridgen
Member #

I have a 2005 4runner that now will not fit the family. What is a good 4x4 suv with 3rd row seats. I'm open to older models. Does anyone have a Rig with the same needs?

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
I have a 2005 4runner that now will not fit the family. What is a good 4x4 suv with 3rd row seats. I'm open to older models. Does anyone have a Rig with the same needs?
the Lexus GX 470 is awesome on and offf road, but the 3rd row is small. We picked-up a 2004 used with low miles and have fun with it. Most of the time the 3rd row seats are in the attic.

Reactions: Auspri.6

Auspri.6

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fairborn, OH, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Pridgen
Member #

I'm in the same boat. I've been looking at explorers but haven't had the chance to drive one, grand cherokees are too expensive...... what I'd really like is an old suburban! lol
I'll look into those. I was recently told to look into the toyota land cruisers. They are not easy to come by with low miles.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

H2OBound

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Simpsonville SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Ott
Member #

GMT800 Suburban or Yukon XL. Capable enough for a family rig, lots of room even with the 3rd row up, reliable and gas mileage is no worse than a TLC, LX or GX.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Auspri.6

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
3rd Row 4th Gen 4Runner. LX470. GX470. With the GX470 and 4runner with 3rd row seats you will have storage issues.

Reactions: Boort and Auspri.6

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

The problem with some of these 3rd rows is really how often are you going to need them? Also is it a true 3rd row in comfort or space? If you cannot leave them out you will find yourself in a weird modular world of taking things in and out often. It can be a real pain and prevents you creating a nice semi permanent system in the cargo area. The exception being the much bigger vehicles. This is the biggest challenge we have ourselves since ours is the family vehicle.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

5th Gen 4Runner SR5s and Limiteds have a 3rd row. It's comfortable knee wise but you have to be under 5'6" to not bump your head. However, with both 3rd row seats up, storage is quite limited.
Other than that or the Lexus equivalent, you're going to find behind 3rd storage is limited. I imagine full size SUVs may be your best bet or utilize a storage rack.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

if you're not doing any crazy off roading and staying on moderate trails, check out used mercedes gl 450/550's. i have a 2008 gl 450 and love it. i paid $12k for mine and have had to replace some things like the front air struts, but they are not that complicated to do and it is nice being able to push a button to have the suspension raise up to get i think 11 inches of ground clearance.

the third row seats don't have crazy leg room, but i have sat back there by myself and i'm 6'4". i had to sit sideways, but i did it. kids would fit back there just fine. the nice thing is that the third row seats fold down with the push of a button and they lay flat. i've folded down all the rear seats and slept in the back before to where i was on my back and was able to keep my legs straight.

all i can say is check one out if you see one for a decent price in your area. if you get more interested in them, check out fcpeuro.com for parts prices. thats where i get most of my parts and they're pretty reasonable for prices. you'd be surprised at how decent these do off road with some all terrains. once i put ko2's on some 18 inch wheels, it really helped out a lot.

Attachments

Mono-Mon

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Maughan
We just sold our 2012 toyota tundra and bought a 2nd gen toyota sequoia. Its absolutely amazing for our use. The third row folds flat when you arent using it and creates a flat, cavernous back with plenty of space. We have done some funtreks moderate trails in it stock and the 4x4 with locking center diff has never let us down. There is not as much after market support for the 2nd gen sequoias but if you search tandem offroad on youtube you can see the potential.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Our Montero has three rows and when we're at home we put the third row back in to give a sensible capability for local trips (when on "big trips" they come out and we put the bed, fridge, and storage in instead).

Our LC80 had the same set up - third row seats out while travelling.