Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I recently scored a 2000 4Runner Sr5 v6 auto 230k miles, for $400. The seller thought it had a bad trans, turned out to be the drive shaft. So that’s fixed. Runs strong and drives smooth now. I have some questions about building this thing into a trail rig. Just don’t know what’s quality and what’s junk in the Toyota world. Ram heavy duty’s, I know well, Toyota’s are new to me.

First off, lift wheels and tires. Im looking to spin 33-34 inch I’m currently looking at two lifts.

OME:OME-96024R - Complete Old Man Emu Suspension (96-02 4Runner)

Toytec: -UL-96024R - Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit (96-02 4Runner)

the Toytec is a little more money, but I have no problem paying it if it performs better. I would like to be able to tow my boat with it if my ram breaks down. The boat weighs about 4K pound on the trailer. I’m a fishing guide so a back up tow vehicle would be nice to have. either lift will be installed with either a 1 or 2 inch body lift.
im also interested in upgrading the front brakes, will I need 17 inch wheels or will 16 clear tundra brakes? What offset it ideal on these vehicles for something in the ball park of a 295/70r17 tire size

Axles
I have no idea what gears are currently in it, how can I find out? I’ll likely regear to 4.88s down the road, but I’m hoping I can get away with stock gears for a little while after the lift and tires.
I’m currently considering a spool in the rear just to keep costs down, but I’m open to LSDs.

Bumpers and winch’s
I don’t need anything too fancy here, just a solid place to put a winch and recovery points. What’s out there?

That basically covers all the big items. I’m sure I can figure out the small stuff. Any input and advice is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

zcostilla

Rank III

Traveler III

Fountain Inn, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Zac
Last Name
Costilla
Member #

Service Branch
USAF ‘93-‘13
It’s nice and clean. Should make a great p,at form to build upon. 3rd Gen 4Runners have some common issues. I would address all these before doing any other upgrades (I’m going through them myself with a recently acquired ‘97 Limited). You can find fixes to all these with a google search. The forums you’ll find in the results will give ou step by step instructions. I’ve found them really helpful.

First, the automatic transmission fluids goes through a separate section of the man radiator, but the radiator is a common fail part , and you end up with a situation called the pink milkshake. It’s easily avoided with a separate transmission cooler.

Second, the timing belt and water pump have to be changed on schedule. If you aren’t sure if they were done, then do them and get it out of the way. At least the 3.4 is a non-interference Engine and you won’t sacrifice your valves and pistons when it goes, but it will go if you dn’t address it.

Third, the brakes are weak with the truck stock. Add big tires and extra weight, and you’ll be very disappointed. Fortunately the 1st gen tundra rotors (say 2000 if asked at a parts store) bolt right on and the rotors fit with a little trimming of the dust shield. There are two sizes, but the 13L rotor castings are for the bigger size (I’m saving up for this upgrade right now).

Fourth, the lower ball joints wear out easily. Be ready to replace them and the bushings at some point as an owner. USE OEM LBJs AND CV AXELS. Same goes for the dual-tipped spark plugs, coil packs, and wires (NGK BRAND FOR ALL THREE!).

I’d address all of these before spending money of other upgrades that will disappoint you if the vehicle isn’t going to be reliable.

EDITED TO ADD: These are super reliable vehi of maintained and you keep the rust away. The 3.4 will easily get 300k-500k miles. mine is at 361k and running strong. I bought it off my son, and made sure he maintained it as best as he could afford on a college student’s budget, and bought it off him when it was time for him to upgrade to help him get a nicer car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Salty4Life

In addition to what was said above, Head over to t4r.org and join the forums there tons of information on the 3rd gen 4runners, mod hints, and build threads.

As for suspension upgrades, I went with the OME BP51 setup on my 4th gen 4 runner and love it. I went with this system over the Nitorcharger setup on the advice of Ben S. at Slee, 1-888-4x4-slee.
My brother has the Toytech setup similar to the one you linked on his 2nd gen Tacoma (does not love it).

Boort