First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pagan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IYM
Hello Group,

I'm planning a 5 day overland trip up 395 to Mammoth and would appreciate some great primitive camping spots to stay. It's a solo trip in my Rubicon Recon with my wife so nothing too crazy. Looking for secluded spots with great views, river side spots, hot springs, etc .., no KOA camping... One hot shower would be nice though!

I have a galley so I don't need a ground fire if that is an issue.

Maybe stay in the Alabama Hills, Mammoth Lakes area, Mono Lake might be cool but that's as far north as I'd like to go.

Appreciate your input!

Robert

rpagan1970

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cerritos, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pagan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IYM
The iOverlander app always served me well for situations like that, trying to find primitive campsites in new areas...check it out and see if you can find anything posted on there...
Thank you for the advice, I do have the app and have found several site possibilities. I've been to Mammoth several times but never to camp. Did some snowboarding last season and some off-road trails between days. I was hoping someone might have a particular spot that they would be willing to share that they really enjoyed.

I'm excited by a couple spots near the hot springs that I hope are open! This will be my first trip using iOverlander to plan a trip

Dorian

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Dorian
Last Name
Bilak
Member #

When are you going? I’ve been trying to go up to coyote flats which i have heard is fantastic. Just keep an eye on the weather. You climb to pretty high elevation fast in that area and snow can be an issue a lot of the year.

rpagan1970

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cerritos, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pagan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IYM
When are you going? I’ve been trying to go up to coyote flats which i have heard is fantastic. Just keep an eye on the weather. You climb to pretty high elevation fast in that area and snow can be an issue a lot of the year.
I'm planning on going the 3rd weekend in August 15-19

Want to do one night in a campground with a shower and the rest in primitive camping spots

Reactions: JKGreg

Dorian

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Dorian
Last Name
Bilak
Member #

The weather should be great then. I don't know of anywhere with a shower in the remote campgrounds. Lone Pine, Bishop and Mammoth are all easy to get to. I'll be up in Bishop and Mammoth later this week. I'll ask when I'm up there and see if any locals have recommendations for you. If not, you should be able to find something in all three towns. Just keep in mind that places are really busy this time of year. The trip should be a lot of fun. Hope you have a fantastic time.

Reactions: rpagan1970

rpagan1970

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cerritos, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pagan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IYM
I'll be up in Bishop and Mammoth later this week. I'll ask when I'm up there and see if any locals have recommendations for you.
That would be great! There is an RV park in Mammoth that I'm considering (if they have any space). It would just be nice to have a hot shower and a nice dinner with my wife! I appreciate your help and input!

Dorian

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Dorian
Last Name
Bilak
Member #

Didn't forget about you. There were a few RV parks in the area. When I was there it looked like both Mammoth and Bishop had available space at the RV parks. Mammoth was much more crowded than I was expecting. The weather was great on my visit (maybe a little on the warm side).

As an out of the box idea, they also had showers available at Red's Meadow Resort and Pack Station next to Devil Postpone National Monument. The park has nice hiking and it's a pretty drive not far from Mammoth. Red's is a stop along the Pacific Crest Trail. Also, don't let the name fool you, Red's is not a resort. It's a place to eat, shower and resupply if you are hiking the PCT.

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
There is primitive camping all over the place near Mammoth and June Lake. Just make sure you don’t set up too close to a dusty road because there are Quads and Dirt bikes all over the place and they rip.
Go up 108 to the Leavitt Lake road and drive in to the lake.

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
Hello Group,

I'm planning a 5 day overland trip up 395 to Mammoth and would appreciate some great primitive camping spots to stay. It's a solo trip in my Rubicon Recon with my wife so nothing too crazy. Looking for secluded spots with great views, river side spots, hot springs, etc .., no KOA camping... One hot shower would be nice though!

Maybe stay in the Alabama Hills, Mammoth Lakes area, Mono Lake might be cool but that's as far north as I'd like to go.

Appreciate your input!

Robert
Fire restrictions are in place. No campfires.

Did you suss out Coyote Flat? Curious how busy it is now. It's a drive from socal, would like to go but not if it's a zoo
thanks!

Didn't forget about you. There were a few RV parks in the area. When I was there it looked like both Mammoth and Bishop had available space at the RV parks. Mammoth was much more crowded than I was expecting. The weather was great on my visit (maybe a little on the warm side).

As an out of the box idea, they also had showers available at Red's Meadow Resort and Pack Station next to Devil Postpone National Monument. The park has nice hiking and it's a pretty drive not far from Mammoth. Red's is a stop along the Pacific Crest Trail. Also, don't let the name fool you, Red's is not a resort. It's a place to eat, shower and resupply if you are hiking the PCT.

Trusty JK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culver City, CA, USA
Member #

Hello Group,

Appreciate your input!

Robert
Hey I'm doing the same!!!! Going in two weeks! maybe we can share any information we gather? Im going with my wife and 1 1/2 year old so were looking for the same as you.