Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

New license, Renewals, and vanity call sign application will carry a $35 fee effective in the very near future.
Upon further review it appears GMRS is also included in this which means the license fee will actually come down from $70 to $35.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Reactions: Desert Runner

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Have they said exactly when this goes into effect? I looked at the attached doc but if it’s there I missed it.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Thank you. It’s tough finding test sessions that aren’t “zoom’ based online these days but it looks like there’s one doing drive-in testing. I’m just hoping to get done before this money grab happens.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you. It’s tough finding test sessions that aren’t “zoom’ based online these days but it looks like there’s one doing drive-in testing. I’m just hoping to get done before this money grab happens.
Going to be real hard to find non-zoom testing sessions here really soon. Even the ARRL is moving to virtual test sessions starting this month... clubs with paper copies of the test can use them up until July 1st when the new Technicians Exam Pool changes.

Reactions: Downs

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Well, reservation given for 2/13. Time to do some refresher studying as I’m sure I’ve forgotten some of it already. I had the answers down pat until I couldn’t find a session to take the test.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I'm due for a renewal on my ham license this year, but 35 for it isn't bad. I'm not stoked on it, but it what it is. I am interested in the GMRS license coming down to a reasonable cost... The tech question pool changes are something i totally forgot about, this thread is a good reminder to bug my partner to get hers before they change it as she's been studying to the current pool...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm curious what you mean here? How did this fee ruling great a more ruinous situation?
Well 6 years ago I was very big into Large Scale RC aircraft... then the FFA said I had to register my aircraft... no big deal... the next year they mad a law that also required me to get a pilot license to be able to fly my aircraft along with a heftier registration fee because the aircraft I flew ranges between 75 and 150lbs. Now mind you I flew on my own private property, so it shouldn’t have been a big deal... but then I had to get my runway certified... all of this drove me out of the hobby.

Now how does this pertain to Amateur Radio... coming up with $15.00 for a test is hard enough on my income... now raise that up to $35.00 there is now where for me to pull that money from...

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Jedi

Pskhaat

Rank IV

Explorer I

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

Well 6 years ago I was very big into Large Scale RC aircraft...
I understand what you are saying here. And I don't disagree. There are several economic and political schools of thought that identify government's ultimate purpose is to limit commerce, and United States v. Causby, 328 U.S. 256 (1946) is an interesting read on what rights we actually don't have for our property.

Now how does this pertain to Amateur Radio... coming up with $15.00 for a test is hard enough on my income... now raise that up to $35.00 there is now where for me to pull that money from...
Admittedly, I immediately thought of GMRS and its reduced licensing pricing. I am not of a house of money nor wealth myself, so I fully understand dollar prioritization, but subjectively I feel the fees (if there ever were a reason therefor) to be reasonable, but again that's subjective. As a Ham and GMRS operator myself and someone who runs a tiny business in this space, I would be honored to cover the fees for you to bring you into the folds of the licensed radio community. Please let me know.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I understand what you are saying here. And I don't disagree. There are several economic and political schools of thought that identify government's ultimate purpose is to limit commerce, and United States v. Causby, 328 U.S. 256 (1946) is an interesting read on what rights we actually don't have for our property.

Admittedly, I immediately thought of GMRS and its reduced licensing pricing. I am not of a house of money nor wealth myself, so I fully understand dollar prioritization, but subjectively I feel the fees (if there ever were a reason therefor) to be reasonable, but again that's subjective. As a Ham and GMRS operator myself and someone who runs a tiny business in this space, I would be honored to cover the fees for you to bring you into the folds of the licensed radio community. Please let me know.

Thanks for the kind offer sir... let’s see how the next 9 years plays out... I’m doing everything I can to make it so I won’t incur those fees in the near future.
For GMRS, I am glad those fees are reduced. 65-70 was outrageous.

And don’t get me wrong, I love the radio hobby... it was the best part of flying large scale aircraft.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

The funny thing is that the FCC is almost completely hands off where it comes to amateur licenses these days. They streamlined and automated their end but appear to not be offering anything more than when the license was free. So what’s the money for?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The funny thing is that the FCC is almost completely hands off where it comes to amateur licenses these days. They streamlined and automated their end but appear to not be offering anything more than when the license was free. So what’s the money for?
They don’t even get the money... the money goes to the Department of the Interior. Or something like that.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Still showing $70 when you try and check out
Effective date is 30 days after the date of publication in the Federal Register.
I looked (briefly) and did not see that it had been published yet.

Reactions: Sputnik and DanW