Deane
Last Name
Gary
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1WO \\// GMRS-WRKU839
Service Branch
ARMY
Hey everybody was wondering if anybody had any input or experience with overlanding in a 2 wheel drive vehicle. My girlfriend and I recently acquired a 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and to my astonishment it's a factory 2 wheel drive model. I've heard of people off roading in 2 wheel drive vehicles with a rear Locker and winch I've never done it personally so was wondering on people's thoughts

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Luis Merlo

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I nearly bought one of those little trucks but decided I needed 4x4. But honestly if I lived in a place without winter I would have given it a shot. Back in the day everything used to be RWD and it was the Willy's and the Scout that changed that. But people made 2wd work fine. I think 2wd is more viable than most people think and will get around pretty decent 90% of the time. It will probably also make you a better and wiser driver. And if you're gonna do a little winch, that with the factory locker, good tires (rears at least haha), and some imagination might get you through almost everything. I know those little trucks drive awesome when I test drove one so enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Reactions: MBroenkow and K1BWO

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Reactions: MBroenkow

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Decades ago, I took my 2WD 91 Chevy Blazer S10 deeper off road than many 4x4s venture. Don’t be afraid to take the 2WD off-road to explore, just be smart. Don’t go alone if you’re uncertain about the trucks ability, and some basic recovery gear is a must. If you have friends w/ winches, recovery ropes and a decent high lift jack ( can be used as a manual winch) should be sufficient. Most importantly, know your limitations with your 2WD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I run a tacoma sport 2wd. Most of the stuff I run are fire roads, and stuff like that. My budget couldn't justify 4wd, since this is my daily driver. The key is to air down, and know your limitations. I do carry Maxtrax on my truck just in case.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I run a tacoma sport 2wd. Most of the stuff I run are fire roads, and stuff like that. My budget couldn't justify 4wd, since this is my daily driver. The key is to air down, and know your limitations. I do carry Maxtrax on my truck just in case.
Maxtrax, a shovel and possibly a quality come along and you will be fine. One thing to remember about being 2WD, is many times you aren't as stuck as a 4WD will get. I rand a 2WD Ford Ranger for years and most times all I needed was a simple tug or a little digging to get going again as I was more cautious to start.

Reactions: Wilkes704

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Agree with pl626...be smart, know your vehicles limitations....years ago after getting out of the Army I had a 1979 Chevy C-10 short box, inline 6, 2wd, on 31x10.50's. Loved that truck, had a hydraulic winch built in and a spot light on the pillar as in it's former life it was a county utility truck. Lol...bright orange too, used to call it the pumpkin truck! Drove that truck everywhere...until, at just under 400,000 miles on the way back from Alaska, it shot a piston straight through the oil pan...sad...I regret not buying another inline 6 for it...

Reactions: maxfederle89

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

And a shovel. I did get the Krazy Beaver shovel. A little over kill, but works really well with stoking fires also.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Good recovery gear and you will be good to go.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I might add that if you get into the hobby and decide to go 'wheelin' with some of your friends, make very sure that they know the rig you're driving is 2WD.

One run, I assumed with a quick visual check that all the trucks with us were 4WD. I announced that this was a trail that would require 4WD, tire size, lockers, blah, blah. Then when it got more difficult, the 2WD needed "little tugs" or more attention and help than anyone else, in fact, no one needed help except the guy with the 2WD. He was an above average driver, but still... it was only 2WD and that made a problem for the other 9 trucks on the run. Not that we were upset, just that we couldn't cover the ground that we thought we could because the 2WD guy didn't inform me (or I didn't confirm it?). He just thought it would be OK.

I've heard people say "my 2WD drive will go where most 4WD's go". Well, in that case, the 4WD's were not anywhere near their own limit, and they were just being accommodating to the 2WD guy! Plain and simple, a 2WD is NOT nearly as capable as a 4WD.

If you do go prepared with a winch, traction boards, diff locker, etc. you will be more equipped, but as @The other Sean said, you will likely be less stuck than a 4WD will be, but don't turn into a liability being the only 2WD in a group of 4WD without telling the leader.

*rant over*

Dan.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Yeah I'm not new to the Hobby Dan just to using a two-wheel drive like I said earlier I'm originally from Maine so that's pretty much all we used to do up there is off-roading

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app
Knowing Dan I'm sure he is talking to everyone when he talks about the liability of 2 wheel drives off road. On the west coast we have lots of newbies to off roading and lots of places a 2 wheel drive vehicle shouldn't go but they do anyway. One thing you can do to help our cause is to keep people updated on the pros and cons of only having 2 wheel drive. Thanks in advance for your help.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
With a rear locker you can go pretty far with a 2wd. Those 4runners can be swapped to 4wd, too. It isn’t the cheapest way to go but if you like the rig you have it isn’t a bad idea.
This is true. If your rig is paid off and you're really attached to it, anything is possible. Probable? Maybe not. But I wouldn't write off a 4x4 conversion if you're motivated and know some handy people.

DMG

Rank 0

Traveler I

This is true. If your rig is paid off and you're really attached to it, anything is possible. Probable? Maybe not. But I wouldn't write off a 4x4 conversion if you're motivated and know some handy people.

I just did a 4wd conversion on a 98 XJ. It was relatively simple. The 4runner wouldn’t be much more complex

Reactions: maxfederle89