Wagener, SC, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
This truck will be a rig for my family to further our adventures. Hard to take a Volvo wagon or a Hyundai accent down forestry roads. This will also be a budget build. I have a good network that will be helping me with custom components on the cheap.

1991 S10 Blazer 2dr 4.3 $900 Runs and drives great. Needs Love.

Getting a locker, winch, small lift and larger tires to get us further into the back country and back safely.

A unique interior storage system built by the wife and I will help in the limited space inside this small rig. Custom built center console will help up front. Roof will get a custom rack. Swing out tire carrier will carry spare and some other gear.

I will update as I build. Like I said it is a budget build and will work as funds come available.

First step was pull a quick fluids change throughout and clean the interior.

Second was guage cluster repair/replacement

While I was in there I started working to come up with a center console design. It will be the hub for all aftermarket electrical which will be isolated from factory components.

KIMG0263.JPGView attachment 137130KIMG0523.JPGKIMG0674.JPG

Attachments

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Looking forward to seeing the new dash.
On the lift and bigger tires keep in mind those changes will add stress to that 30 year old suspension and power train.

Looks like it will be a fun project which should create a bit of fireside conversation.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Whatever rig is most important GO OUTBACK!
And if You have diff-lock on driven axle - You will get most of the places like 4x4 without lockers IMO

Brett.SC

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wagener, SC, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Looking forward to seeing the new dash.
On the lift and bigger tires keep in mind those changes will add stress to that 30 year old suspension and power train.

Looks like it will be a fun project which should create a bit of fireside conversation.
The planned lift is 2" and tires won't be larger than 30". Stock tire size is around 27”.All steering and suspension rubber is rotted and being replaced. I had the same concern so hopefully I am properly addressing them. Any additional thought are appreciated.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I would recommend MTs. You're going to need every bit of traction you can muster even with a locker so I'd skip ATs and get some grippy tires. :) I play in 2wd a lot and I am amazed at how quickly I lose traction with ATs and a locker.

Brett.SC

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wagener, SC, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I would recommend MTs. You're going to need every bit of traction you can muster even with a locker so I'd skip ATs and get some grippy tires. :) I play in 2wd a lot and I am amazed at how quickly I lose traction with ATs and a locker.
Tire selection is still on my list of about 15 different parts on the truck that I am undecided on. This is why I joined OB!

Reactions: JCWages

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Sweet! This is going to be cool! Just a suggestion that comes from driving around with tons of ammo cans in my "company car" for years - I'd consider adding some sound deadening material like Dynomat to the inside of the cans to help with noise maybe? I'd think you'd be able to find some non-name brand of the stuff on Amazon for a decent price.

ETA: Ughhhh. Just saw this was a zombie thread. I hope his project turned out okay.