Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Angelo, TX, USA
First Name
Patricia
Last Name
Denman
Member #

This is from WAM, it's a winch mount that bolts to frame. No cutting direct fit and Its super easy to install and saves a ton of extra wieght compared to a full steel bumper.
This looks like an awesome recommendation! Been looking for something like this. Will definitely buy this one. Did you install yourself? Was it easy if you did?

Jsh2695

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
jeff
Last Name
Hodges
Member #

This looks like an awesome recommendation! Been looking for something like this. Will definitely buy this one. Did you install yourself? Was it easy if you did?
It was Super easy. I was actually surprised how easy it was. I did it myself. Depending on your model the process is a little different but it only take a couple of hours.

Attachments

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Here is a couple of photos of my Navara D40 (Aussie version) with an ARB Commercial Bull bar and side rails and steps.

This is a great set up and strong - I have hit a kangaroo and a cow :smirk::smirk: and had no damage at all :grin::grin:

Karl

Navara D40 - 1.jpg
Navara D40 - 2.jpg

Navara D40 - 3.jpg

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
I have a Hefty Fabworks front bumper on my 2018, but no winch yet. It's on my list of things to add.

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

A cow?! :laughing: Gotta ask how in the world that happened?
Long story - short for both animal strikes as they happened on the same day (in fact 20 minutes a part :rage:).

I was leading a group of about 12 vehicles on a trip through and we had just come out of a rough track in some scrub land and were on a formed road and it was about 3pm in the afternoon.

As the lead vehicle I waited until everyone was on the road before I increased our speed to about 80 kph and shortly after this I saw two kangaroos on my left hand side (passenger side). Roos are very unpredictable (as are Emus) and these were hemmed in by a fence on the left and the road. They stayed on the left, so I slowed down, knowing that at some point they would cut across in front of me to get to the bush on the driver's side.

At this stage I was doing about 60 kph, when one of the roos suddenly turned a hard right and came across in front of my vehicle. I hit it might flight right in front of the driver's side front headlight but the bull bar deflected it over the top of my bonnet and it hit the road behind me and the vehicle behind me nearly hit it as well.

I immediately pulled up and got out of my vehicle to check for damage but there was none, so I went to go over to check the Roo - you should always check a Roo if you hit it in case it is a female and has a Joey in it as well as to see if it is okay or needs to be put down :disappointed: as you never leave one to suffer.

As I got close to the Roo, it suddenly stood up, looked at me and shook it's head, gave me the finger and bounded off. My heart was racing from hitting him but I was glad it was okay.

I then got back into my car and drove off, with everyone bagging me out for hitting the Roo :tonguewink:

I then turned left onto another road and got my speed up to about 100 kph (approx 60 mph) and we had driven for about 5 mins at this speed when I noticed some cattle on the driver's side (right) between the edge of the road and the paddock fence - at this stage they were about 500m to my front. Again, cows are dumb like roos, so I started to slow down and went to warn the others in my convoy about the cows when at that moment as I passed a big bush on my right a cow ran right out in front of me and I didn't see it until I hit it at about 80 kph.

The cow then went to the ground and even though I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down (my wife was screaming herd head off at this stage) and try and control my vehicle I still managed to push the cow as it rolled over and over in front of my car for about 50 m before it went out to the left hand side and I was able to stop. At the same time as this the second vehicle back from me just missed hitting another cow as it ran out in front of them :frowning:

I left my wife screaming and crying in the car and got out and the first thing I did was to inspect my vehicle for damage but the only damage was my number plate was bent!!

I then went and checked on the cow and in was in a bad state, all of it's legs were broken and also it's back and it was ripped up and torn.

I sent two vehicles off to see if they could find a farmhouse and inform them of what had happened so they could come and put down the cow; however, while this was happening I got my axe out and was going to hit it on the head to put it out of it's misery if we couldn't find the farmer - luckily one of the vehicles returned and stated that the farmer was on his way and for us to leave it and he would take care of it.

In Australia, animal are very common - it particular hitting Roos and Emus and a fully grown red kangaroo can do a lot of damage to your vehicle as do Emus - which is why most of us have bull bars fitted to our vehicles.

On the same day I hit the cow a couple in the Northern Territory hit a Buffalo and were killed in the incident; however, their vehicle had no frontal protection - since that day my wife has never complained about anything that I fit to my vehicle :laughing:.

Karl

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Long story - short for both animal strikes as they happened on the same day (in fact 20 minutes a part :rage:).

I was leading a group of about 12 vehicles on a trip through and we had just come out of a rough track in some scrub land and were on a formed road and it was about 3pm in the afternoon.

As the lead vehicle I waited until everyone was on the road before I increased our speed to about 80 kph and shortly after this I saw two kangaroos on my left hand side (passenger side). Roos are very unpredictable (as are Emus) and these were hemmed in by a fence on the left and the road. They stayed on the left, so I slowed down, knowing that at some point they would cut across in front of me to get to the bush on the driver's side.

At this stage I was doing about 60 kph, when one of the roos suddenly turned a hard right and came across in front of my vehicle. I hit it might flight right in front of the driver's side front headlight but the bull bar deflected it over the top of my bonnet and it hit the road behind me and the vehicle behind me nearly hit it as well.

I immediately pulled up and got out of my vehicle to check for damage but there was none, so I went to go over to check the Roo - you should always check a Roo if you hit it in case it is a female and has a Joey in it as well as to see if it is okay or needs to be put down :disappointed: as you never leave one to suffer.

As I got close to the Roo, it suddenly stood up, looked at me and shook it's head, gave me the finger and bounded off. My heart was racing from hitting him but I was glad it was okay.

I then got back into my car and drove off, with everyone bagging me out for hitting the Roo :tonguewink:

I then turned left onto another road and got my speed up to about 100 kph (approx 60 mph) and we had driven for about 5 mins at this speed when I noticed some cattle on the driver's side (right) between the edge of the road and the paddock fence - at this stage they were about 500m to my front. Again, cows are dumb like roos, so I started to slow down and went to warn the others in my convoy about the cows when at that moment as I passed a big bush on my right a cow ran right out in front of me and I didn't see it until I hit it at about 80 kph.

The cow then went to the ground and even though I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down (my wife was screaming herd head off at this stage) and try and control my vehicle I still managed to push the cow as it rolled over and over in front of my car for about 50 m before it went out to the left hand side and I was able to stop. At the same time as this the second vehicle back from me just missed hitting another cow as it ran out in front of them :frowning:

I left my wife screaming and crying in the car and got out and the first thing I did was to inspect my vehicle for damage but the only damage was my number plate was bent!!

I then went and checked on the cow and in was in a bad state, all of it's legs were broken and also it's back and it was ripped up and torn.

I sent two vehicles off to see if they could find a farmhouse and inform them of what had happened so they could come and put down the cow; however, while this was happening I got my axe out and was going to hit it on the head to put it out of it's misery if we couldn't find the farmer - luckily one of the vehicles returned and stated that the farmer was on his way and for us to leave it and he would take care of it.

In Australia, animal are very common - it particular hitting Roos and Emus and a fully grown red kangaroo can do a lot of damage to your vehicle as do Emus - which is why most of us have bull bars fitted to our vehicles.

On the same day I hit the car a couple in the Northern Territory hit a Buffalo and were killed in the incident; however, their vehicle had no frontal protection - since that day my wife has never complained about anything that I fit to my vehicle :laughing:.

Karl
Dang, that's intense! Most people in the States don't realize that bull bars are very aptly named.

Also, "gave me the finger and bounded off." :tearsofjoy:

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Dang, that's intense! Most people in the States don't realize that bull bars are very aptly named.

Also, "gave me the finger and bounded off." :tearsofjoy:
Here in Australia we call them 'Bull bars' or 'Roo bars' but when we talk to people from outside of Australia we mostly use the term 'Bull bar' because most people won't know what a 'Roo' is :laughing:

I was glad he was able to hop off but I am not sure how badly he was hurt - roos are really dangerous when they are injured and if threatened they can kill a human so I was glad he got up and left in a hurry - albeit a bit sore and sorry for himself :tonguewink:

Emus are worse when you hit them - they just become a big cloud of feathers and you can't see what's in front of you and they are also very stupid as they run down the middle of the track / road and then turn towards you suddenly - I have had a few misses :laughing:

Karl

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill