Launch Member

Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Conner
Member #

A coworker of mine just got new wheels and tires after lifting his Toyota Sequoia. He was previously running 275/65/18 BFG KO2s and offered to give them to me if I wanted them. They have about 10k miles on them and from the research I have done, they will rub on the crash bar and fender during suspension action. Does anyone have experience with similar-sized tires? I have a stock 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4. I have heard that adding spacers may work but am looking for recommendations.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

A coworker of mine just got new wheels and tires after lifting his Toyota Sequoia. He was previously running 275/65/18 BFG KO2s and offered to give them to me if I wanted them. They have about 10k miles on them and from the research I have done, they will rub on the crash bar and fender during suspension action. Does anyone have experience with similar-sized tires? I have a stock 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4. I have heard that adding spacers may work but am looking for recommendations.
18" rim is not really Ideal for off-roading. Not enough tire between the rim and tread! I have never used spacers. A lot of people do and have no problems. Also a lot of people do not recommend them due to problems. Most tire shops will not touch your truck if you have spacers from what I here!

Samconner94

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Conner
Member #

18" rim is not really Ideal for off-roading. Not enough tire between the rim and tread! I have never used spacers. A lot of people do and have no problems. Also a lot of people do not recommend them due to problems. Most tire shops will not touch your truck if you have spacers from what I here!
That's what I figured. The plan is to put 3" suspension lift on it eventually and then get 285/70/17. Thanks!

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I think with spacers you will still rub. TIre shops in CA will work on cars/trucks with spacers. 18s are ok for off road, im on 18s is its just fun offroading and rocks

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Lift the shit out-of it and put some 35x12.5s on it there would be plenty of meat to air down.
the stock 18 rim option for rangers uses 265/60/r18 so you will likely see rub with the Combo you mentioned without spacing and lift/level around 2". Might as well go big and do a real lift like 6" and put 35s and correctly backspace rims on it

Since everything on a ranger is small id hazard the guess that you'd see quite a few tie rod and ball joint replacements though that's something all of us who lift/level and put bigger tires on trucks has to deal with, No one wants to admit it though.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
I am running 285/70R17 on my 2021 XLT FX4 after 2.5" lift, replacing the crash bars, reducing offset from 55mm to 25mm, and replacing the sway bar links with adjustable/removable. So far all good, even in the twisties.

Here's a couple pics:

Side View 285 70 R17.jpg
Front View 285 70 R17.jpg

275/65R18 vs 285/70R17:

1619718802010.png

You can likely keep the stock crash bars - they have some play if you loosen them up. Spacers up (probably) and out (maybe) are cheap way to try this configuration out and then you can upgrade as warranted (your ride will likely be harsher with a spacer lift, but taller coilovers can be spendy). You might ask on Ranger5g.com - lots of posts on tire sizes over there. Learn how to rebead in the field in case you pop one loose and you're good to go!

Best of Luck whatever you choose :-)

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve got 65 series KO2s on thecopcar. They’re fantastic. Taking them to 25psi smoothes out washboard roads wonderfully.