Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Boulder City, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Ok so I have a 2016 Ram that I want to get a nice bumper that can take a impact, but not be so bulky that it doesn’t look right. I would like to add a wench and a light bar...any suggestions or guidance I would love.

Reactions: MMc and M Rose

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a Addicted Desert Design for a couple of years on my 2500 and am very happy with it.

Reactions: CMFB4x4

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Ok so I have a 2016 Ram that I want to get a nice bumper that can take a impact, but not be so bulky that it doesn’t look right. I would like to add a wench and a light bar...any suggestions or guidance I would love.
Is it a gas or diesel?
I ask because on the diesels, the intercooler sits right down where the winch will be. So, a lot of the winch bumpers for the Cummins will stick out a bit more.
I have been running a Fab Fours Elite for several years, and is designed to fit a Warn 16k

CMFB4x4

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Boulder City, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Is it a gas or diesel?
I ask because on the diesels, the intercooler sits right down where the winch will be. So, a lot of the winch bumpers for the Cummins will stick out a bit more.
I have been running a Fab Fours Elite for several years, and is designed to fit a Warn 16k

It’s a diesel

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It’s a diesel
Things I also tried to research were the following.

Did those who bought a bumper like your describing, like it after purchase.

Did the powder coat last

As you mentioned.......did it look aesthetically pleasing, and not be a mad-max looking ad-on.

NOW SOME IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER:

How many frame to bumper attachment points were provided per side? If only 2, you risk it being pulled off with a extreme recovery. 3 a side, 4 being better for a more secure attachment should be utilized. I have seen bumpers pulled clean off, that is why i mention it.

Is it air-bag compatible?................few are.

Is it designed for a Gasser or a Diesel?..........This is an important distinction because of air flow. A Diesel will need more airflow for both the radiator AND the Inter cooler. It will, besides weight, also most likely cause a reduction in MPG.

After reading reviews, and feedback, I chose a ARB. For the following reason's, mostly for those I listed above. I wished it had included the fog light cut-outs, seen on most of their bumpers, but used the provided light tabs to mount some amber Hella 500 aux. lights. These were 50 watt versions and were compatible with my OEM fogs, so no issue with the OEM switch or fuse, SEE MY AVATAR. The biggest 2 things I had accepted was a fuel reduction, and a higher operating temp out here in the SW desert. Surprise.....My in town MPG stayed the same........15.3-/15.4.... uncorrected on 285x75x16 AT's, and more importantly my engine and transmission temp's did not climb either over the stock levels I had. This was with synthetic oils in both power-train components. My conclusion for the Choice I made is that the product I got was designed correctly and engineered for compatibility and not just for either looks or to be a place to hang a winch.

I had also looked at a 'Buck-stop' brand bumper, but the ARB was the most cost effective for my needs. These are pricey upgrades, internet research is your friend, not your local shop who sells XYZ brand.

PS:
Most of these bumpers weigh in at around 300 lbs, My ARB came in around 275#, but I put a 17K winch on it, so it was a wash. My 2500 HD only sagged maybe a 1/2 inch, so it was not as dramatic as say a 1/2 ton might expieriance, something to keep in mind. If sag had become a problem, I had planned to upgrade the torsion bars to the 1 ton (3500) HD model to compensate.

Attachments

Last edited:

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Chassis Unlimited...just put one on my 2019, but they have almost identical versions for your truck.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Can you share a pic so I can see what you have.

Thanks
Better to go to the web site. I don’t think are not making mine any more. I drive at night in Baja and it’s a bit mad maxis with the ranch bars. Their web site is much more what is current.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
So here it is NEW YEARS DAY Morning, and I open up my email, and lo and behold, ARB sent me their new monthly news letter with......wait for it.......a new RAM bull bar winch bumper offering , How timely for this thread :grin: They also have a listing for their 'old man emu' suspension parts to go along with the bumper.

pic: 1609506078139.png

Seems nice. I like the included highlift jack pockets (safety). I see they now put a grill mesh in the opening above the fair-lead pocket. And that it has the fog/driving light option . Something I mentioned above, I wished they had designed into my ARB classic Silverado) bumper design. This would have also allowed a more clean look, if aux lighting above and beyond was desired(fog and driving lights).
It also looks like it retains a OEM tow hook design, as I see no provision for 'clevis/D-ring' attachment.

PS:
The rubber 'push pads' are a nice included feature if ever needed/

Last edited:

CMFB4x4

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Boulder City, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Baker
Member #

So here it is NEW YEARS DAY Morning, and I open up my email, and lo and behold, ARB sent me their new monthly news letter with......wait for it.......a new RAM bull bar winch bumper offering , How timely for this thread :grin: They also have a listing for their 'old man emu' suspension parts to go along with the bumper.

pic: View attachment 181900

Seems nice. I like the included highlift jack pockets (safety). I see they now put a grill mesh in the opening above the fair-lead pocket. And that it has the fog/driving light option . Something I mentioned above, I wished they had designed into my ARB classic Silverado) bumper design. This would have also allowed a more clean look, if aux lighting above and beyond was desired(fog and driving lights).
It also looks like it retains a OEM tow hook design, as I see no provision for 'clevis/D-ring' attachment.

PS:
The rubber 'push pads' are a nice included feature if ever needed/
That’s awesome. Thank you for the update.

Reactions: Desert Runner