2400 miles New England 4 day weekend!

• HTML tutorial

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

2400 miles… 35 hours driving in 4 1/4 days..

Central Ohio to Niagara Falls and stayed the night at the welcome center… slept to the sound of the falls and the rapids…

Next stop was Lake Ontario.. that finished out the last Great Lake I needed to visit…

A beautiful drive across NY thru Vermont (beautiful BTW…) the long way south to north.. then into New Hampshire… we drove so long without hardly another vehicle near us… lots of moose crossing signs…. No mooses… but more amazing views!!!

Got to Mount Washington late in the evening so we found a great campground by the cog railway. Wife wanted to camp less dispersed and we started a new camping trend… Parking Lot Pie!!! Multiberry,pecan and Buttermilk Pie!! Trust me on the buttermilk!!

Next morning the weather was perfect… unfortunately we should have climbed the mountain in low range 2wd… we got to mile 3 and the temperature spiked and we boiled over…made it to (no joke) radiator springs!! Cooled off.. couple gallons of cold water… drove another 1/2 mile 4400 feet elevation and she got hot… so we called it.. too many miles to drive so we bailed down to town… 3 1/2 gallons of coolant later and we were full n perfect temp) holds 4…

From there we drove to BAR HARBOR MAINE!! where we got snacks.. found a leaking water pump…. Found an auto zone… put in some stop leak and got an extra gallon of antifreeze…(we checked over the remainder of the trip and never had another drip of coolant or needed any refills!)

Got some lobsters… drove to thunder hole and had an amazing romantic dinner in the parking area….

The next 2 days were a blur of driving around Acadia national park and the island…so many sights and sounds and good food!! We found coin operated showers and bunked at the Walmart (parking lot pie every night!!)

Discovered there’s an island off bar harbor you can WALK TO during low tide!!! That was WILD!! Lil crabs all over

We finally left Monday afternoon headed to the Warren Tavern in Boston for a beer n dinner… well Boston isn’t big van friendly and after 25 min of VERY narrow roads and one way streets we gave up and headed to another pub further away from the center of town… got a bacon infused beer and tacos… then turned south west for Rhode Island and then Hartford Connecticut Cabellas… good nights sleep and an early shower… 990 miles home and only one traffic jam..

We for sure will be back to bar harbor!!

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

That's a nice drive. Lots to see, pretty country. And it looks like a nice big comfortable ark to drive it in! Love those Econoline 4x4 conversions! Having been to all those places I can appreciate the spots you showed and the many you had not.

We were just up Acadia the weekend of May 20th, and yeah it was foggy as all get out. Most of our pictures look like the foreground cliffs in your pictures, with nothing but various colors of grey behind them, looking like an old newspaper without the print.

Bar Harbor is a great town. Very soggy friendly, too!

Been up Mt. Washington! Did that in 2wd no issues. That's probably the way to go and take it easy. Used a little transmission braking on the way down. And stopped a couple times. Ostensibly to get a few pictures but it sure didnt hurt to baby the truck a little. My dog went bananas up there!

Been through Ohio a number of times over the last 25 years. Saw Rock Hall of Fame, Sandy Alomar at bat at the (then new) Jacobs Field,
some college bar out in Lorraine, a lot of lush farm land. Being from New England, those long irrigation systems amazed me when I first saw them - the terrain is too hilly here for that.

Hope you had a good ride

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That is a nice drive. Looks like adventure and a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!

Were a few years ago also in the area on the road. Very beautiful and much to see. By the way, the white Toyo with the snail shell on one of the first pictures looks like a european overlander (Azalai cabin on the back). Where did they come from? Did you talk to them?

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

And, um, no sir. Boston is not van, truck, car, or even pedestrian friendly.

Took a job well outside of town and if I never have to set foot or wheel in Boston again, I'd be OK with it I think. Not that I dont love it. Ok, I will MINIMIZE how often i go there. I just choose to live and recreate where I can find parking.