• HTML tutorial

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

Hello All,

Looking for input on 2017 4Runner TRD PRO Spring Rate after adding Winch and Bumper.

Bumper most likely the “Pelfreybilt” aluminum 62 lbs. “Warn Zeon 10s” winch 75 lbs. misc accessories, lets say I’m adding 200 lbs to the front.

1) The need to change springs / suspension ?

2) If so any suggestions as to which company and why?

3) Open to other bumper options also

I’m new to the modern Toyota market as last Toyota was a 79’ 4x4. The days of Jeeps have passed for me.

Use, I am done with the days of rock crawling (sold the last jeep) this will be primarily for road trips off and on road, 75% on 25% off, and a daily driver. Deep snow (winter run to Uncle Toms, via Georgetown) trails throughout Nevada, California, Colorado, Moab, again trying to avoid trails that I would need a seriously built rig. I’m trying to keep this rig as close to stock as possible, to maintain the comfort on extended trips (just got back from a 4000 mile round trip adventure thru AZ, NM, TX).

So please help this old beat up guy, who has maybe lived life a little too hard, and is trying to maintain some comfort!!

Reactions: BCBrian

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

I dont know the spring rate of the stock suspension but I do know it wont hold that kind of weight. The shocks will likely suffer as well.

Not sure if it meets your needs but Ive listed the route I was planning on taking as it sounds like we have the same plan in mind.

C4 Fabs bumper; Lite, easy to install, has built in light mount, solid recovery points, easy access to winch clutch, will help retain a factory look as to not draw anymore attention and help with aerodynamics although the RTT will wreck that haha. I like the Warn 9.5 synthetic winch also but Im not sold on it yet.
http://www.c4fabrication.com/product-category/2014-4runner/

Ive used OME and wont ever again. I have Bilstein 6112.s and dont like them. There are nice and soft, to soft, hard breaking causes to much nose dive and I cant upgrade the coil without voiding the warranty. Ive never heard anything bad about Fox Shocks so Im looking at those. I still need to call them with my plans and confirm the right coil. Its really the best way rather than asking the internet.
http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?make=Toyota&model=4Runner&t=shocks&year=2016-2010&position=Front&m=truck&p=31&ref=filter

Good luck with your build and post lots of picture when youre done.

Reactions: Paw

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Your choice of winch is what I am looking to put on next year with the CBI full front bumper. They have it in aluminum or steel, full or partial bumper. I have the ICON stage 7 suspension and love it . It is beefy, not sure of spring rates they dial you in on that. You can dial in the stiffness 1 to 10 it is awesome no nose dive any more and for long washboard roads, no need to slow down just floats over the rough roads. I just installed the CBI rear Bumper system so I have the overland rear springs for the extra weight. You may not want to rock crawl. Me not so much either but you do want to be prepared so you don't thrash your investment. so then you just keep adding things. You know how it goes. My 2016 4runner trail is for my retirement so I tend to get the good stuff for it. The bottom line is you need to talk to a reputable suspension company they will have what you need all dialed in and can tell you exactly what you need for your build! Once you start adding things its hard to stop. So its cheaper to get it right in the beginning! I do tons of research for the 4runner and would be happy to answer any questions if I can.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

20170812_191553 (1).jpg 20170814_182036 a.jpg 20170416_102434.jpg 20170812_191553 (1).jpg 20170814_182036 a.jpg 20170416_102434.jpg Also when you start to change the suspension i.e. lift on these 4runners you need to get better track bars and such. A total of 5 of them for alignment purposes so no binding in the suspension.

Reactions: Paw

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

I dont know the spring rate of the stock suspension but I do know it wont hold that kind of weight. The shocks will likely suffer as well.

Not sure if it meets your needs but Ive listed the route I was planning on taking as it sounds like we have the same plan in mind.

C4 Fabs bumper; Lite, easy to install, has built in light mount, solid recovery points, easy access to winch clutch, will help retain a factory look as to not draw anymore attention and help with aerodynamics although the RTT will wreck that haha. I like the Warn 9.5 synthetic winch also but Im not sold on it yet.
http://www.c4fabrication.com/product-category/2014-4runner/

Ive used OME and wont ever again. I have Bilstein 6112.s and dont like them. There are nice and soft, to soft, hard breaking causes to much nose dive and I cant upgrade the coil without voiding the warranty. Ive never heard anything bad about Fox Shocks so Im looking at those. I still need to call them with my plans and confirm the right coil. Its really the best way rather than asking the internet.
http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?make=Toyota&model=4Runner&t=shocks&year=2016-2010&position=Front&m=truck&p=31&ref=filter

Good luck with your build and post lots of picture when youre done.

Socal Hillbilly

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont
Member #

Another thing to consider is the valving of shock. Icon uses digressive valving and King and Fox use progressive. Digressive is stiffer at first and softens as conditions get rougher; this why I think I get so much nose dive on braking. Progressive is the opposite.

You may know this already but I thought I would throw this out there in case someone else reading this doesnt.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Another thing to consider is the valving of shock. Icon uses digressive valving and King and Fox use progressive. Digressive is stiffer at first and softens as conditions get rougher; this why I think I get so much nose dive on braking. Progressive is the opposite.

You may know this already but I thought I would throw this out there in case someone else reading this doesnt.
I get no nose dive what so ever.

fryingmonkey

Rank I

Contributor III

San Clemente, CA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Zalewski
Hey all, relatively new here - joined a bunch of forums when I first got my pro, but it was a super busy year, and only now getting around to digging into mods. I'm in the same boat as Paw re: front end, and I just ordered the pricey yet delicious Pelfrey gated rear bumper, with plans to order the Pelfrey front in a couple months.
http://www.pelfreybilt.com/product/4runner-gated-bumper/

Paw, I'm wondering if you solved your problem, as it looks to be the same as mine, e.g.+ ~200 lb over the front. I haven't got weight spec for rear yet, but I expect at least that much after fuel, propane, hi-lift - so probably considerably > 200...

Looking to keep my cushy TRD Pro ride!

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

Hey all, relatively new here - joined a bunch of forums when I first got my pro, but it was a super busy year, and only now getting around to digging into mods. I'm in the same boat as Paw re: front end, and I just ordered the pricey yet delicious Pelfrey gated rear bumper, with plans to order the Pelfrey front in a couple months.
http://www.pelfreybilt.com/product/4runner-gated-bumper/

Paw, I'm wondering if you solved your problem, as it looks to be the same as mine, e.g.+ ~200 lb over the front. I haven't got weight spec for rear yet, but I expect at least that much after fuel, propane, hi-lift - so probably considerably > 200...

Looking to keep my cushy TRD Pro ride!
I dropped the idea of a pelfreybilt front bumper.... after some thought I decided I didn't want to change the look of the front end, (which is one of the reasons why I bought the pro) instead I have gone with the SSO (southern style off road) slim line bumper with just the 20"light bar cut out. It blends into the front much better. I no longer do heavy rock crawling and after 35 years of offloading feel I can navigate around any obstacle I am going to come across over-landing to get where I am going. Its due to arrive tomorrow, after painting it should have it on in a week or two and will post a picture. Planning on taking before and after pics, weight should be about 155lbs will know for sure soon. Also going with the Warn Platinum 10s remote control. Again its more low profile for me, I have the pelfrybilt sliders, built like a tank as I am sure there bumpers are....That rear bumper looks great too.

fryingmonkey

Rank I

Contributor III

San Clemente, CA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Zalewski
I was originally looking at that same style, and was going with either the SSO or the C4Fab (https://www.c4fabrication.com/product/2014-4runner-lo-pro-winch-bumper/). I use my truck for work and ended up gouging the plastic on the bumper cover, so figured I'd go full 'apocalypse' and replace the whole thing rather than pay to have it repaired - that's what I'm telling myself anyway... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really like the hard lines on the Pelfrey stuff, and they're relatively local for me - about 90 min drive. All my 4x4 knowledge is SUPER out of date, so I'm on the hunt to see what springs I can swap out to compensate for all the weight I'm adding:

Gobi Stealth rack + 70 lb
Pelfrey rear ?
Pelfrey front with lights and winch + 200lb

I'll come back and post if I find the right springs!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Don't forget, you are removing 20-30lbs with the stock bumper. Especially if you go with a synthetic a synthetic winch line, you would be adding more like 100lbs from stock, rather than 200.

Reactions: fryingmonkey

JBTRD-77

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am in the same boat but worse off. I just added a SSO bumper to my 4runner. ( really did not want to but the front was so bad something was needed) I am running TRD Pro shocks ( with spacer lift, dont judge was a greenhorn and still am) I was looking at the OME 3" lift with medium duty coils will this help the heavy feel on the wheel and sag. Also i would like to keep the no nose dive i had without the bumper installed.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I am in the same boat but worse off. I just added a SSO bumper to my 4runner. ( really did not want to but the front was so bad something was needed) I am running TRD Pro shocks ( with spacer lift, dont judge was a greenhorn and still am) I was looking at the OME 3" lift with medium duty coils will this help the heavy feel on the wheel and sag. Also i would like to keep the no nose dive i had without the bumper installed.
If you plan on loading your 4runner up when campaign you will need the heavy springs

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have the overland springs on the back/heavy duty and they are purict for me. I'm getting ready to do a front bumper and winch then I will be doing the same spring up front. Stalk would never handle it. And whatever icon puts up front wouldn't eather

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: JBTRD-77