Rank III

Traveler III

Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

So in the passed I have been paid to driver Overland trucks in Europe and North Africa, drove double-decker buses and coaches through UK and about to Europe.
Living now back home in New Zealand (Godzone) again and fortunately with a Brain Injury, large vehicles are no longer suitable for my needs all my planned adventures.
So I'm building up my third Suzuki overland/camper with the goals of keeping it light and simple for my Dog (puppy) and I to live in for trips from a few days to a few months.
Here is the start of my build with update to come as I build her up.BEC19691-06B5-4D88-91F1-6ADA754FBD2F.jpeg8B111C39-151C-40FE-B813-12D90F57AB08.jpeg836A948D-08EB-4329-B7F4-D41E07398D8D.jpeg047AD09B-CF57-479B-870A-D986DBE1027B.jpeg

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

Yes still being built and extremely trendy new model since late 2018 to be seen in and drive in the city.
Unfortunately!
Because of this, the waiting list in New Zealand is over six months, in Australia it’s close to one year, in Japan it’s over one year and Europe it’s not available anymore because of emission standards.
They might get electric hybrid in the next year.
Offroad it’s extremely good still and one of the few true four-wheel-drive still made the world other than Toyota 70 series!
Maybe the Fiat car is ok? I believe it’s called Jeep over there in the USA?
But down under it is extremely unreliable with extremely bad backup.
I unfortunately owned one for six months, and I keep breaking down with new faults every two weeks.

Last edited:

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

So I have now replaced the rear side windows which were non opening with a pair of sliding windows and security guard’s from Explore Glazing in the Netherlands.

Why ?

To help keep my Jimny cool for the comfort of my co driver (Dog) and for the two of us to sleep inside at night comfortably.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The new Jimny GJ/HJ is an awesome little rig. I really like these little offroad-cubes.

You can make so much out of it. I am happy to see an Overlanding Jimny here. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So to save on weight I have fitted a winch mount and an Warn Axon 55S winch.

Just need to finish of the wiring up.
Looks good. Looks amazingly identical to a winch mount for the Jimny that you can get here in Europe from one of the big off-road outfitters. Where did you get this winch mount in New Zealand (manufacturer?)?

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

So to save on weight I have fitted a winch mount and an Warn Axon 55S winch.

Just need to finish of the wiring up.
Looks good. Looks amazingly identical to a winch mount for the Jimny that you can get here in Europe from one of the big off-road outfitters. Where did you get this winch mount in New Zealand (manufacturer?)?
Haha
You’re so right it’s identical to a European one, because I import it from Germany :: Taubenreuther GmbH .
Why not one made in New Zealand or Australia?
A good number are not made to any safety standard.
Some are designed to be hidden in the front bumper out of sighting, but then the clutch is almost impossible to use.
So afternoon months of research I settled on the one I have no believe it’s the best on the market .
It would’ve been much cheaper for me to buy ARB bull bar, but there’s adding too much weight to the front of a Suzuki Jimny.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Haha
You’re so right it’s identical to a European one, because I import it from Germany :: Taubenreuther GmbH .
Why not one made in New Zealand or Australia?
A good number are not made to any safety standard.
Some are designed to be hidden in the front bumper out of sighting, but then the clutch is almost impossible to use.
So afternoon months of research I settled on the one I have no believe it’s the best on the market .
It would’ve been much cheaper for me to buy ARB bull bar, but there’s adding too much weight to the front of a Suzuki Jimny.
Haha - that´s why. Yes, that is a very good and well thinked through winch mount for the Jimny. Taubenreuther is one of THE offroad-outfitters here in Germany and the company exists since the 70s already.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We have the two best 4x4’s still available down under in New Zealand and Australia.
Suzuki Jimny JB74W
Toyota landcruiser 76, 78, and the single and double cab 79

Sorry
And most importantly, you have the Land Cruiser available with a decent engine, the 1VD-FTV.

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

We have the two best 4x4’s still available down under in New Zealand and Australia.
Suzuki Jimny JB74W
Toyota landcruiser 76, 78, and the single and double cab 79

Sorry
And most importantly, you have the Land Cruiser available with a decent engine, the 1VD-FTV.
Which engine is that?

Are you talking about the diesel V8 turbo?
The most important thing is they are still available in manual transmission only!

I don’t understand why so many people drive with automatics apart from in city traffic every day .

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Which engine is that?

The most important thing is they are still available in manual transmission only!

I don’t understand why so many people drive with automatics apart from in city traffic every day .
Yes, that is the 4.5L V8. Awesome. But back to your Jimny ;-)

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

Which engine is that?

Yes, that is the 4.5L V8. Awesome. But back to your Jimny ;-)
All good

I have my name down for a Toyota Land Cruiser 76 Wagon if there’s any more going to become available in 2024?

But my Jimny built is still going forward and waiting for a few parts to finish of fitting the snorkel.

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

So holes are awaiting for me to finish up fitting a Ironman Snorkel.

Hinged front number plate is on its way to NZ from Australia.

Also because of no reply to any of my emails to https://outbackadventureproducts.com/ for a Trailgator tailgate table, I presume they have closed down and out of business?
Very sad it looked a great product!

So I have a Australian made version coming to my Jimny, it’s lighter anyway.

Moving forward after waiting for a response for the last two months.

That’s life..

Attachments

Overland Adventure NZ

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Peter
Last Name
Goodman
Member #

Update/Table

Next step in the built up of my Ultra Micro Overland/Camper Jimny.
A rear door mounted folding down Table so that I can cook and eat without needing a space for a separate table to pull out, put up and put away all the time.
I was going to make my own folding table and an aluminium replacement door card to mount it off like the one in the third photo, but because of my Brain Injury and the extra time that it would take me (probably six months) I decided after seeing the all new Kaon Australia full door card and table kit to purchase one.
So impressed with the quality of engineering involved.
The photo of the back of the door card (photo 4) shows the back of the door card with machined out relief to clear the back door frame.
Because the door when open is at an angle that Kaon have a simple solution that when table is dropped down, it is level.

Attachments