Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

Folks

First of all, thank you for having this wonderful forum full of inspiration and advice for newbies like myself. We are in the beginning stages of planning for a trip in 2020 and would really appreciate some help.

Some details.

The team: 3 kids (7,5 & 5), Ben (our Jack Russel Terrier), wife (39) and myself (39)

Current location: Dallas, TX

Destination: Tuktoyaktuk, Canada

Planned trip duration: 4 months (April 2020 - July 2020)

Previous experience overlanding: Very limited, with our first trip being to Alaska where we rented an RV for 10 days. Then Iceland for 10 days going around the ring road and tent camping (with our kids). In addition to this we did a 2500 mile 4 day road trip a couple of weeks ago to Overland East and picked up our Opus

Trip Goal: Explore North America with the family to spend some quality time together. We realized we have travelled to some very nice bucket list destinations around the world including Australia (10 day road trip from Melbourne to Sydney), New Zealand, Iceland (10 day road trip, tent camping), Egypt, Tanzania (9 day Safari trip), etc. but have barely seen North America.

The rig: 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited + Air Opus Off-road (4 sleeper)

The Jeep is going to be undergoing some modifications in the next 3 weeks in preparation for the trip:
- Upgraded gears to make pulling the trailer much easier. The stock 4.10 gears do ok, but a small bump should be useful. Upgrading to 4.88
- 2.5” lift with new shocks to carry the increased weight
- 35” BFG AT KO2’s
- ARB bumper with smittybilt synthetic winch
- Comms to be decided
- Lighting to be decided

Future items: Rhino rack roof rack with a backbone system, full underside armor/ skid system

Some specific questions:
- Is this trip too ambitious, especially with the kids? They are very good travelers and have been on all of our previous trip mentioned above.
- What is the best way to plan our route (and trip overall)? Google maps only goes so far..
- What is the optimal comms setup for our rig? CB + HAM + Satellite? Recommendations on specific devices welcome
- Any other modifications recommended for our Jeep?

We are planning to go to Arizona over thanksgiving and a Big Bend/ New Mexico trip over Christmas to give our rig (and ourselves) a test run. I might have separate threads to plan for these trips :)

We are currently in early planning stages and any and all tips/ suggestions are welcome. This is hopefully one of many future adventures for our family.

Attachments

Reactions: eagle_A40

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
My wife and I did the trip last year. I don't see where you have extra spares for your Jeep and trailer.

This is an three part article I wrote for TCT magazine that you might like to read about our trip. There are links to all three parts in my blog post.
I'm not sponsored by anyone , so the article is a real travel log.

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

My wife and I did the trip last year. I don't see where you have extra spares for your Jeep and trailer.

This is an three part article I wrote for TCT magazine that you might like to read about our trip. I'm not sponsored by anyone , so the article is a real travel log.

Your site was my first stop in the planning since it came up on a search. The Jeep has a spare and the trailer has its own spare. Do you think we need more?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
You never know , but since you are running 35" tires I doubt you could get a replacement easily outside of a place like Whitehorse.

Two is one and one is none. I used my spares on the way back with cracked steel wheels .

Nice to get a flat and know you can still continue the trip having an extra spare.

Let me know what you htin of the article .

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

You never know , but since you are running 35" tires I doubt you could get a replacement easily outside of a place like Whitehorse.

Two is one and one is none. I used my spares on the way back with cracked steel wheels .

Nice to get a flat and know you can still continue the trip having an extra spare.

Let me know what you htin of the article .
I likely the simplicity of the article. Comprehensive yet simple. Some good tips in there that are on my list. I’m exploring your site and have run into your Big Bend article now, which i will refer to for my Christmas trip planning. Thanks.

Reactions: mep1811

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Ill second that for two spares and a good tire repair kit, the shale roads can be unforgiving. I would also look at radiator protection and repair as well, we didn’t have issues with either on our trip up but we did have to help others along the way with tire repair and Rad issues.
Also look into a extended range fuel tank, ours adds 60L/16 gal of fuel that you wouldn’t have to pack in fuel cans. There are some big stretches between gas stations.
For Communications definitely a good VHF radio and Inreach communicator

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

Ill second that for two spares and a good tire repair kit, the shale roads can be unforgiving. I would also look at radiator protection and repair as well, we didn’t have issues with either on our trip up but we did have to help others along the way with tire repair and Rad issues.
Also look into a extended range fuel tank, ours adds 60L/16 gal of fuel that you wouldn’t have to pack in fuel cans. There are some big stretches between gas stations.
For Communications definitely a good VHF radio and Inreach communicator

Thank you for the suggestions. The problem is that there are no auxiliary fuel tanks available for the JL yet. I’m considering adding an AEV fuel caddy that will add 10 gal + 1 Jerry can (5 gal). The trailer has space for 2 Jerry cans and I will have 1 remaining for water (in addition to the 2 installed 20 gal tanks)

As far as the extra spares, I can see that being an issue because of the additional weight/ space. I will absolutely have a good tire repair kit and would really appreciate any info on radiator issues/ repair.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Bring spare wiper blades. The dirt and mud will wear out the blades. A good plug kit is a great idea but will not fix a shredded tire. I never though of any radiator issues. It is well protected behind the grill and the bumper. If anything, I could see it getting covered in mud if you are following too closely behind a vehicle.

There is a wash rack in Inuvik. Keep in mind everything in Canada is more expensive than in the States. Chicken was $6.00 a pound .
To add to your adventure you can make up a family sign and put it in the sign post forest at Watson Lake. From Watson Lake you can take the Robert Campbell Highway to Dawson City. It is mostly dirt and less traveled. There is plenty of camping and a killer liquor store in Faro if you need some good wine.
It is an option rather than sticking on the Alcan.

I's love to hear about your trip to Iceland. That is on my list for my wife and I to do.

Attachments

Reactions: Stickman

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Thank you for the suggestions. The problem is that there are no auxiliary fuel tanks available for the JL yet. I’m considering adding an AEV fuel caddy that will add 10 gal + 1 Jerry can (5 gal). The trailer has space for 2 Jerry cans and I will have 1 remaining for water (in addition to the 2 installed 20 gal tanks)

As far as the extra spares, I can see that being an issue because of the additional weight/ space. I will absolutely have a good tire repair kit and would really appreciate any info on radiator issues/ repair.
10 gallons of spare fuel should be good. Just fill up every chance you get. There is plenty of places to refill with water. I'd carry the extra fuel that too much water. Keep in mind it will not be very hot so your water needs will not be that heavy.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I think the single most important item you can bring is the Mile Post Book. It is the Bible of Alaska & Northern Canada travel. Also the visitors centers are a wealth of information. We found some great campsites based on a recommendation from a visitors center. These centers also have nice clean bathrooms and in some places, wifi.

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

I think the single most important item you can bring is the Mile Post Book. It is the Bible of Alaska & Northern Canada travel. Also the visitors centers are a wealth of information. We found some great campsites based on a recommendation from a visitors center. These centers also have nice clean bathrooms and in some places, wifi.
Thanks again. I still have the milepost book from our Alaska Trip 3 years ago.

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

Bring spare wiper blades. The dirt and mud will wear out the blades. A good plug kit is a great idea but will not fix a shredded tire. I never though of any radiator issues. It is well protected behind the grill and the bumper. If anything, I could see it getting covered in mud if you are following too closely behind a vehicle.

There is a wash rack in Inuvik. Keep in mind everything in Canada is more expensive than in the States. Chicken was $6.00 a pound .
To add to your adventure you can make up a family sign and put it in the sign post forest at Watson Lake. From Watson Lake you can take the Robert Campbell Highway to Dawson City. It is mostly dirt and less traveled. There is plenty of camping and a killer liquor store in Faro if you need some good wine.
It is an option rather than sticking on the Alcan.

I's love to hear about your trip to Iceland. That is on my list for my wife and I to do.
Mike, thanks again and love the specific route tips. Also would have never thought of wiper blades. I’ll PM you my number so we can chat and exchange information and I’ll provide you all the info on Iceland. Cheers.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Great.
Since you are traveling with children and have four months, the visitors centers have a lot of information for kids. There are Stuffed animals and other interesting displays.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Besides stopping at the visitors centers, another good activity will be being on the lookout for animals. We had to stop ,while on the Alcan, to let a herd of Wood Bison cross as well as stopping to watch the bears feeding on dandelions along the side of the road.

Plenty of stops to make and scenery to keep kids occupied.

Last edited:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
As for COMMS, I never heard anyone else on the HAM , Seems most people were using a CB but mine went bad early on in the trip. I used my InReach to send location updates to friends so they could see where we were. I also used the InReach to send a reservation e-mail to the Aurora Hotel in Deadhorse.

Reactions: Stickman

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Pot holes come in herds!

Make sure you take plenty of fresh water. There are no water wells up north. Fresh supply very hard to find. Always keep your water tanks full.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Fuel is also way more expensive than what we were used too in the lower 48. Canada loves their taxes. It looks cheap until you realize the price is per liter. Never pass a gas station. If you have less than a half tank, fill it up.

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Long range tanks is now in the USA my friend brought a tank for her JL

As for the Rad install a rad protector in your grill is a must and carry some Bar’s stop leak with you.
We also carried extra fan belts, Rad hose plus compression tape, U joint, I even had a extra wheel bearing

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
It is very easy to calculate the distances between fuels stops. What is your mileage loaded down with the trailer? 10MPG ? I think our longest distance without a fuel stop was on the Robert Campbell Highway approx 362 miles . I believe you can get gas at Ross River and Faro but we never stopped for gas. We got gas in Carmacks and then filled up at Watson Lake. We only saw one other vehicle while on that road vs the Alcan with was filled with vehicles.

The convenience store/gas station in Carmacks, is quite the place. You can just about anything there. I treated myself to some ice cream.

Faro is a bit off the road but a pleasant stop with yet another great visitors center. There is a huge liquor store , in the middle of nowhere with a great wine selection. Faro also has a well known golf course and when we stopped by there was a golf tournament.

Along the highway we saw all sorts of bears. At the Provincial campsites , there were these corrugated steel rings . We could not figure out what their purpose was nor could we find anyone who knew. These rings were too far from the campsite for a fire ring. Not for garbage because this was bear country .

Attachments

Last edited: