Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Greetings all, and welcome to my build thread! This is all that I have done and will do to my new 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT edition. So first, a blurb about me: I am an avid Subaru enthusiast who currently owns 3 Subaru’s and works as a Service Advisor at a Subaru dealership here in GA. I love their capability and practicality, and while I recognize there are plenty of spots and trails that it can’t go, the list of unexpected places it can go is much longer! It’s comfortable, fits all my gear thus far, has a good amount of standard safety and technology, and is super comfortable even out on the rockiest of trails! Now, onto the good stuff:

WHEELS AND TIRES:
LP Adventure LP1 17x8 LP1 Bronze Wheels
Yokohama Geolandar G015 245/65R17 AT Tires
Suspension:
Flatout GR Lite 2” Coilover lift

EXTERIOR:
Yakima Load Warrior Rack with Extension
ARB 2000 Awning
Orsini Designs Overlays
GEAR:
Coleman 2-Burner Stove
Home built Drawer/Platform System
Luno Life Camping Mattress
Mountain Summit Deluxe Roll Top Camp Kitchen Table
Mountain Summit Small Table
Gerber Knives(machete, flip, etc)
Gerber Hatchet
Navigation- Combo of GAIA GPS App and in-car nav.
Much, much more.......

FUTURE UPGRADES:
Coilover Lift Supension..... Brand TBD
LP Adventure Front Premium Bumper Guard with Full Armor
LP Adventure Engine Skid Plate
LP Adventure CVT Skid Plate
Bright Source Driving Light Pods
Rigid Industries ditch lights
2nd ARB Awning(Passenger Side)
ARB Awning Room467C4541-CD28-4A36-89F6-97A2420D2E08.jpeg467C4541-CD28-4A36-89F6-97A2420D2E08.jpeg02FB7C0B-FED7-426F-9543-A1667BC95846.jpegB0FE94E4-E830-4428-A14A-7F97E8EF2552.jpeg3CDBB0DD-2B35-4325-B6E3-478706B0F9B5.jpegAEA747DB-1D83-4C4E-9B45-6921A540BDB7.jpegAEA747DB-1D83-4C4E-9B45-6921A540BDB7.jpegC4719AE0-B559-4363-897F-90ABEC1A2B79.jpeg036E144E-621F-43DC-A2B5-07C7D9D2D252.jpeg4D87A783-3B0F-4FA3-BC4C-4A4CBCDD7F60.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

New adventures this last weekend... Used the second X-Mode out of Necessity. Something I never thought I do, but it was so cool to watch the power work itself out of being stuck!

Attachments

S

softroad.406

Cool build. A family member of mine has an outback on sparco wheels and the same tires.
How as the outback done with the stock suspension?

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Cool build. A family member of mine has an outback on sparco wheels and the same tires.
How as the outback done with the stock suspension?
It has done fantastic! This weekend was the closest I’ve gotten to stuck, but the Outback pulled itself out with the right line! Definitely underrated. I just need a bit more clearance and I will be set for most obstacles! At least here in GA.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
My wife has a 2019 Sport. We're getting an Ironman 2" suspension lift installed this week. I'll let you know how it is.

Last edited:

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

My wife has a 2019 Sport. We're getting an Ironman 2" suspension lift installed this week. I'll let you know how it is.
Awesome, yeah definitely let me know how it is! I am planning on going with them as they have a definite date for release and I’m eager to get the lift. I’ve started getting close to the bumper in spots lol.

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Very nice. How are you liking the ARB awning?
Oh I love it! I might have done a ROAM awning if I hadn’t have found this ARB used from a friend who is also a OB member. It’s a little hard to set it up by yourself if your not extremely lanky, but I figured out mostly how to do it after about 3-4 set up’s. I’ll be adding a room soon

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

One of the values I think I’m going to struggle with the most is learning how to keep things simple, and not “overpack”.
Let me know when you get that one figured out :) It is just too easy to fill that extra space with something "that we might need". For me keeping an internal inventory of what actually gets used and what does not is a starting place.
Glad you found OB; it has been a blessing for many many in these times - especially myself.
I struggle with that too! I want to be prepared for all scenarios. I did recently reduce my usual load from 2 Wolfpack boxes to one... so that’s a small step lololol

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I struggle with that too! I want to be prepared for all scenarios. I did recently reduce my usual load from 2 Wolfpack boxes to one... so that’s a small step lololol
Tons of ways to save weight vs limit what you pack and saving weight has always been an under appreciated methodology. Especially when you’re working with a single range Subaru. Look how much weight you can save in your recovery kit alone if you go with soft shackles vs steel or even dynamic rope vs straps. It all adds up.

Reactions: Ubiety

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Tons of ways to save weight vs limit what you pack and saving weight has always been an under appreciated methodology. Especially when you’re working with a single range Subaru. Look how much weight you can save in your recovery kit alone if you go with soft shackles vs steel or even dynamic rope vs straps. It all adds up.
Yep. Although I thought I was replying to another thread and I’m not sure how it ended up in mine haha. But as long as we’re on the subject, I’m focusing on maximizing space and use out of everything I keep in my rig

Reactions: Keatonsmith

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yep. Although I thought I was replying to another thread and I’m not sure how it ended up in mine haha. But as long as we’re on the subject, I’m focusing on maximizing space and use out of everything I keep in my rig
Yeah I noticed but figured I’d reply anyway. Your problems certainly aren’t unique haha. Does a 29.5” tire fit in the 6th gen spare well? Do you have a full size spare?

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Yeah I noticed but figured I’d reply anyway. Your problems certainly aren’t unique haha. Does a 29.5” tire fit in the 6th gen spare well? Do you have a full size spare?
Yeah I’m told(I haven’t experienced) that a 245/65R17 fits in the space where the stock full size spare would go. I still have my stock 18 full size spare but was going to purchase a full size spare in the next couple days

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yeah I’m told(I haven’t experienced) that a 245/65R17 fits in the space where the stock full size spare would go. I still have my stock 18 full size spare but was going to purchase a full size spare in the next couple days
I’ve heard rumors that it’ll fit aired down but was curious since I didn’t see a spare on the roof. The other reason being that there’s room for a lot of gear under the floor if you put the spare elsewhere.