Crescent City, Putnam County, Florida, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Nice build. So how does it pull behind your JKU? is it heavy? And what shell did you use for the top?
I got a M214 that I am using for my tagalong trailer. We are lloking for a "camper" to sleep in. You have done some great Ideas here.
It's 100% steel, so it is heavy around 2000 lb fully packed. The nice thing is, it is very sturdy, low maintenance and it will last for ever (and it's bear proof). The JKU has no issues pulling it, as it feels like any other load trailer. The Timbren Axles make the trailer ride very smooth both on road and off road. We took it out for the first time down in south Oregon about two weeks ago and was very please with it. We found a few things we liked and dis-liked. The sleeping arrangement was as expected sleeping in a camper. One of the things we liked is that we could sit up on the bed with our feet on the floor and take our shoes off. We also liked the ease to use water tap and the large amount of counter space. One of the things we didn't like is the kitchen storage area. I need to come up with a better organisation ideas for the kitchen.

Thanks for the questions!!

Enthusiast I

It's 100% steel, so it is heavy around 2000 lb fully packed. The nice thing is, it is very sturdy, low maintenance and it will last for ever (and it's bear proof). The JKU has no issues pulling it, as it feels like any other load trailer. The Timbren Axles make the trailer ride very smooth both on road and off road. We took it out for the first time down in south Oregon about two weeks ago and was very please with it. We found a few things we liked and dis-liked. The sleeping arrangement was as expected sleeping in a camper. One of the things we liked is that we could sit up on the bed with our feet on the floor and take our shoes off. We also liked the ease to use water tap and the large amount of counter space. One of the things we didn't like is the kitchen storage area. I need to come up with a better organisation ideas for the kitchen.

Thanks for the questions!!
Happy to see you had a smooth ride with the Axle-Less!

Reactions: jcgraves3

jcgraves3

NorthWest Region Member Rep's Portland OR
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Hi Mike, thanks for reaching out. Yes, It's still in Oregon (in storage). I plan to camp in it at the Overland Expo on July 8. If I don't sell or trade it by July 13th, I will have to bring it to FL. It was built for West cost, so my hope is that it sells before I leave. I found some more photos of it..

IMG_20201231_103821521.jpg

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi Mike, thanks for reaching out. Yes, It's still in Oregon (in storage). I plan to camp in it at the Overland Expo on July 8. If I don't sell or trade it by July 13th, I will have to bring it to FL. It was built for West cost, so my hope is that it sells before I leave. I found some more photos of it..

View attachment 234596
Bring a “For Sale” sign to The Expo and demo it out during the expo.

jcgraves3

Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Hi Mike, thanks for reaching out. Yes, It's still in Oregon (in storage). I plan to camp in it at the Overland Expo on July 8. If I don't sell or trade it by July 13th, sI will have to bring it to FL. It was built for West cost, so my hope is that it sells before I leave. I found some more photos of it..

View attachment 234596
Bring a “For Sale” sign to The Expo and demo it out during the expo.
Will do. I plan to post in OB also.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

View attachment 234596
What makes you say it was built for the west coast?

jcgraves3

Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ

View attachment 234596
What makes you say it was built for the west coast?
Living in OR, when building it, I was thinking of the various technical trails I would encounter. I built this trailer with that in mind. 1. All metal body to feel safe from possible bear attacks and various weather elements 2. Low profile (no RTT) and offset rims to keep the tires in the wheel well for tight trails and low center of gravity when driving off camber. 3. Axle less for traversing complex geological structures along the trail. 4. Minimal number of moving parts to break when you are miles up in the mountains. 4. Rugged built with basic parts (nothing fancy).

The East Coast has some of the same terrain, but there's less opportunity for dispersed camping and trail exploring. Most of what is available is designated off road dirt trails that are well used and some are technical. Most East cost camping requires reservations with limited campsites which are typically not to difficult to get to with a trailer. If you're lucky enough to reserve a site.

If I was building an East Coast overland trailer (with a Florida perspective) I would probably have 1. A RTT. The camper shell would be to hot. 2. Wide tires that would traverse over sand easier. 3. Open truck bed, so I can put fishing gear kayaks, canoes and other water toys. 4. I would keep a standard axle and spring setup.

BIPOLAR BEAR

Rank 0

Contributor I

Tennessee, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Sadler
Ok I really need to know what kind of topper this is and who makes it. I love your build! Other toppers I have been seeing , do not have this height. I have eyes on all kinds of materials to make, but hesitant until I can find this exact topper. PLEASE HELP!!!

jcgraves3

Investor

Influencer I

First Name
John
Last Name
Graves
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJJ
Ok I really need to know what kind of topper this is and who makes it. I love your build! Other toppers I have been seeing , do not have this height. I have eyes on all kinds of materials to make, but hesitant until I can find this exact topper. PLEASE HELP!!!
Hi Bipolar Bear,

Thanks for your interest in the military camper. It came off a retired city truck. It's a heavy duty steel truck topper made by the Reading company. Heavy-Duty Truck Caps | Reading Truck

Cheers and let me know what you find..

Reactions: Sparksalot