2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Build

• HTML tutorial

Hillbilly Sportscar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos
Member #

Great write up! It’s helpful to see the growth of your Gladiator, step by step.
Have you done anything yet that needed a rear locker?
I am currently pricing a rear locker or a detroit true trac. I am kinda leaning towards a true trac for simplicity. Some shops are saying like $2000 for an ARB and install. If I start spending that I'm getting another Rubicon.
-Cody

Reactions: Ubiety

Hillbilly Sportscar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos
Member #

Here is a better pic of my rack set up for now. I keep the rack low so when I put stuff under it and lock the tailgate you can't get to it as easily. Thinking about a best top soft topper. Also going to add side and rear awnings and an axe and shovel mount to it.
IMG_7773.jpg

Hillbilly Sportscar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos
Member #

Finally got my axe and shovel mount on the rack. I've had this mount for a good 5+ years. It is a smittybilt and I would not recommend it, but it gets the job done for now. Also, I bought the rack and mounts of craigslist for $200ish.
IMG_8073.jpgIMG_8074.jpgIMG_8077.jpg

Hillbilly Sportscar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos
Member #

The most recent thing I did was add Air Lift 100 air bags to the back of the Jeep. The rear swats some when completely loaded. I plan on upgrading the sway bar as well. IMG_8099.jpgIMG_8100.jpgIMG_8101.jpgIMG_8131.jpg

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Great build and thanks for sharing! I am looking hard at the JT or possibly a JL / JK to upgrade to and build for overlanding use, also becoming a secondary vehicle. My current Jeep, a 95 YJ is very built but has become more suited for rocks -trails, but not for highway or long distance slabs to the trails anymore. I'd like something with more space and comfort so I can entice the Mrs. to go on more outings and replace our aging GMC Yukon. Your JT build looks to be the best fit to accomplish everything! My Jeep is primarily used only for recreation, and with my work schedule as of late, not enough time to get out as often as I wish. Fortunately, I have a work issued vehicle so the Gladiator wouldn't mile up much and last a long, long time.

Have you been happy overall with the Gladiator? Has it been well suited for trail use, overlanding and the long highway hauls to get to the trails or even a daily driver? What would you do over or change? I am truly leaning on the Rubicon model with the tow package despite the $$$ so I don't have to add lockers or 4:1 transfer case (as it is already provided from the factory) and can modify as you did as time and $$ permits.

Looking forward to crossing paths sometime. Again, nice build and thanks for sharing. I'm in the dreaming phase at the moment but plan on pulling the trigger on a different platform this spring. Been looking hard at the 4Runner, Tacoma and Jeep JK or JL prior to the JT Gladiator. I'm a Jeep guy and the Gladiator was my wife's suggestion...gotta keep mama happy!

Hillbilly Sportscar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos
Member #

Great build and thanks for sharing! I am looking hard at the JT or possibly a JL / JK to upgrade to and build for overlanding use, also becoming a secondary vehicle. My current Jeep, a 95 YJ is very built but has become more suited for rocks -trails, but not for highway or long distance slabs to the trails anymore. I'd like something with more space and comfort so I can entice the Mrs. to go on more outings and replace our aging GMC Yukon. Your JT build looks to be the best fit to accomplish everything! My Jeep is primarily used only for recreation, and with my work schedule as of late, not enough time to get out as often as I wish. Fortunately, I have a work issued vehicle so the Gladiator wouldn't mile up much and last a long, long time.

Have you been happy overall with the Gladiator? Has it been well suited for trail use, overlanding and the long highway hauls to get to the trails or even a daily driver? What would you do over or change? I am truly leaning on the Rubicon model with the tow package despite the $$$ so I don't have to add lockers or 4:1 transfer case (as it is already provided from the factory) and can modify as you did as time and $$ permits.

Looking forward to crossing paths sometime. Again, nice build and thanks for sharing. I'm in the dreaming phase at the moment but plan on pulling the trigger on a different platform this spring. Been looking hard at the 4Runner, Tacoma and Jeep JK or JL prior to the JT Gladiator. I'm a Jeep guy and the Gladiator was my wife's suggestion...gotta keep mama happy!
Hi Rodger,
I will say this is probably my favorite Jeep I have owned (it is actually my 10th Jeep). The longer wheel base makes for a better highway ride. The bed makes carrying camping gear so much easier. I love trucks and jeeps so I got the best of both worlds. It is longer than a Wrangler (I have bottomed the Gladiator out a few times).

If you can swing the Rubicon go for it. I will say I am not a fan of only using lockers while in low gear which impacted my decision to get a sport. Ive owned two JK Rubicons and for the price you can't beat what they come with. Swapping Gears and adding lockers is around $5K from what I priced. I loved having the 4:1 T CASE in the Rubicon.

Side Note- JK's are sooooooo much cheaper to build with wayyyyy more aftermarket available due to their production run. However, the 8 speed auto of the JT/JL is so much better than the 5 speeds in the JK's. It legit feels like you have 100 more horsepower because you're always in the power band.

If you buy a Gladiator people will snap their necks to look at it. Everyone has an opinion and will tell you they love it or hate it. Like straight up have had strangers approach me numerous times saying one or the other.

Im in San Jose if you can come check the Jeep out in person we can set something up. Also feel free to contact me if you have more questions (dealing with sales people and dealerships is the worst).

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Many thanks for the most helpful information and reply. You raise many valuable points and your observations - opinions are most welcome as you have much experience and have owned - driven many other Jeeps ; exactly the input I am looking for. Are you going to the meet up this Sunday in Pleasanton? I look forward to taking you up on your offer and checking your rig out sometime. Stay safe and healthy!

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

Hi Rodger,
I will say this is probably my favorite Jeep I have owned (it is actually my 10th Jeep). The longer wheel base makes for a better highway ride. The bed makes carrying camping gear so much easier. I love trucks and jeeps so I got the best of both worlds. It is longer than a Wrangler (I have bottomed the Gladiator out a few times).

If you can swing the Rubicon go for it. I will say I am not a fan of only using lockers while in low gear which impacted my decision to get a sport. Ive owned two JK Rubicons and for the price you can't beat what they come with. Swapping Gears and adding lockers is around $5K from what I priced. I loved having the 4:1 T CASE in the Rubicon.

Side Note- JK's are sooooooo much cheaper to build with wayyyyy more aftermarket available due to their production run. However, the 8 speed auto of the JT/JL is so much better than the 5 speeds in the JK's. It legit feels like you have 100 more horsepower because you're always in the power band.

If you buy a Gladiator people will snap their necks to look at it. Everyone has an opinion and will tell you they love it or hate it. Like straight up have had strangers approach me numerous times saying one or the other.

Im in San Jose if you can come check the Jeep out in person we can set something up. Also feel free to contact me if you have more questions (dealing with sales people and dealerships is the worst).
Well may man, I pulled the trigger and will be eating Mac-n- Cheese for a while...thanks for your input and observations. I went to "look" with my wife on Saturday and we couldn't help ourselves. Al lot of haggling and such, but we came home with a loaded up 2021 JT Rubicon Gladiator. I hIMG_1277.jpgope to meet up sometime soon and to the many mods to come...once my wallet recovers.

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I really like the Gladiator and almost pulled the trigger....ended up with the quad cab Ram because I needed more bed space and towing capacity. Really came down to the wants-vs-needs dilemma.....really "wanted" the Jeep, but pulling a travel trailer and hauling lumber/rock/construction stuff necessitated the longer bed Ram

GirlGoneRoad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Tina
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Thanks for the write up of your transformation. I’m looking at a Gladiator and I’m having a hard time swallowing the price of the Rubicon. My 2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon JK was stolen and trying to decide which way to go. I’m definitely following what you are doing. Without being able to do the work myself, no space to work (I live on my boat) is it feasible to do a cost effective build out of a Sport to a close second to the Rubicon with using an outfitter? I haven’t seen anything close to a $31k Gladiator. You got a great deal.

Hillbilly Sportscar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos
Member #

Thanks for the write up of your transformation. I’m looking at a Gladiator and I’m having a hard time swallowing the price of the Rubicon. My 2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon JK was stolen and trying to decide which way to go. I’m definitely following what you are doing. Without being able to do the work myself, no space to work (I live on my boat) is it feasible to do a cost effective build out of a Sport to a close second to the Rubicon with using an outfitter? I haven’t seen anything close to a $31k Gladiator. You got a great deal.
Girls gone road, rubicons are like $50-$60k. You can find gladiators in the $30’s if you look. For about $40k into mine I can get lockers that run in high gear. The problem is I don’t get the transfer case or the electronic sway bar disconnects. I am kicking myself because I bought my last rubicon jk used for $31k (remember I’m talking sticker price and not with taxes and registration tacked on). They say if you are planning on going up to 37’s get a Rubicon. If you plan going bigger get a sport because you will be swapping axles. IMO $50k-$60k is too much to spend on a Jeep.

Roger 2486

Rank V

Explorer I

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

After having my JT for two weeks and just having to slab it down to Arizona unexpectedly...and putting on 1200 miles, I’m happy with the upgrade but I’m still having heartburn over the price. I couldn’t agree more; obscene the amount the JT goes for and my dumba$$ paid, but it is nice.

Hillbilly Sportscar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos
Member #

Here are the newest updates to the Jeep. I have just been doing stuff to the rack and interior (also made a load bar for the bed). I moved my switch panel to the top of the dash and added a Voswitch cell phone and tablet panel. The tablet makes long drives much nicer for the passengers.IMG_8951.jpgIMG_8953.jpg