RaD Overlanding

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Kwapich
Hello all, gonna try to share some pictures and my build process with everyone. I am always looking for cool ideas so if you have any please feel free to pass along!

Background on the truck:
I bought it new in 20. I think she had about 5 miles on the odometer. It has a 6.75' bed, plow/tow package. It also has upgraded suspension in the rear to slide in a camper.

My wife and I bought a truck bed tent last year and had the basics to overland. However, with a bone stock truck and stock wheels, I was not comfortable doing a lot of trails, mainly because we had nothing for recovery other than a 3" x 30' tow strap. We love the outdoors and we found that with the truck bed tent and the equipment we had it took about 45 mins to setup camp (way to long for the type of trips we want to take). Long story short.....we decided to spend some $ and build the rig.

1st thing I did was bought bigger tires. Truck is now sitting on 35s mounted on 20"wheels. I have about 10.75" to 11" clearance on the diffs, so hopefully that will be sufficient enough to get us down most trails. We arent looking to rock crawl or anything like that, we just want to be able to make it to so.e remote campsites with great views an 0 crowds!

Next I started to work on the bedrack. I have it just about complete (building it out of scrap steel I have around my shop). Currently having the side plates cut out. Once those are done, I can paint it all and install it on the truck. 1 of the things that was of great importance to me was being able to use my tonneau cover with the rack installed. So I had the rack complete a week ago, till I tried to install the cover......I forgot to make accompadations for the 2x2 sq tube, so the cover wouldnt fit, ugh. So, being me i had to figure out a good solution, but the solution had to be quick, easy, and relatively painless. I added some "extensions" to the rack plates (that set on the bed sides). Reinstalled the rack....cover fits!!

I am hoping to have the rack complete and painted by the end of next week.

I have already purchased a Smittybilt XL Overlander tent (2nd Gen) and the XL 270 awning.

I am pretty sure I have my design for the bed/kitchen system. The kitchen pullout will be on the driver side (60" locking slides). I also plan on building a bed slide to go over the kitchen box, so I can easily access the 10" or so, of space that I should have between the top of the drawer and the cover. On the passenger side of the bed, I will have my fridge/slide. I am thinking that behind the fridge (between the cab and the fridge) i will have 2 batteries, inverter, charger etc for accessories.

Im thinking of fabricating some type of a "hitchswing arm" that I can carry extra water etc., on a folding table that i made last year.

Again, all ideas are welcome, and thank you for taging along with me on this build.

Rick

Attachments

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I dig it, also I don't see any Powerstroke badging so I'm guessing it's a gas engine (good thing in my book)?

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

RaD Overlanding

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Kwapich
I dig it, also I don't see any Powerstroke badging so I'm guessing it's a gas engine (good thing in my book)?
Thanks. Your correct gas engine. I contemplated getting the diesel when I ordered it, glad I didnt, with diesel these days! Now that i am going to be overlanding I'm glad I went with gas, since I feel diesel might be hard to find in some of the remote places.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Thanks. Your correct gas engine. I contemplated getting the diesel when I ordered it, glad I didnt, with diesel these days! Now that i am going to be overlanding I'm glad I went with gas, since I feel diesel might be hard to find in some of the remote places.
I worked in the diesel industry for a bit, 10 years as an HD truck tech (4 of that with Caterpillar) and 1 year in light duty performance parts. And yeah after my time working on em and selling parts for em, it's gassers for me.

Is the engine your pickup the new 7.3L gas v-8?

RaD Overlanding

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Kwapich
I worked in the diesel industry for a bit, 10 years as an HD truck tech (4 of that with Caterpillar) and 1 year in light duty performance parts. And yeah after my time working on em and selling parts for em, it's gassers for me.

Is the engine your pickup the new 7.3L gas v-8?
No it's the small one I think 6.2?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
6.2l is a beast. I've had one as a service truck, and own a 18 f250.

Rotten exhaust headers were the only issue. But the salt belt has been extra salted recently.

Don't fear the gear.

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

RaD Overlanding

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Kwapich
Been away for a lil while, cuz we were out enjoying the wilderness! Been on a few small trips. Hoosier NF, and then up north just south of Traverse City along the Manistee River. Things are well with everything that has been done. Every trip, I find something else to add that will be useful.

Heading to the Ozarks in a couple weeks. I know the trails are tight for a full size rig, but we are visiting family, so not sure how much exploring we will do. Plan on staying a night in the Mark Twain NF, on the way down. Should be a blast

Attachments

Reactions: Lemon_Prince