First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
Hi guys and girls,

After several years of saving, researching and debating, I finally did it and got myself a 4Runner. I was able to get it with the exact options I was looking for and have plans to add a few things. I didn’t wait long to get it out on the trails and took it wheeling with less than 700 miles on the odometer. I was blown away by its capabilities and am excited to see what adventures are to come. IMG_0498.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
I have added a few items to the inventory, mostly recovery gear, I like to be prepared. I got all of it off of Amazon, the D-rings, hitch receiver shackle and recovery strap are from a company called Rhino USA and seems like some well made stuff. The Smittybuilt air compressor is easy enough to use and nice to have when I need to air back up. I have two minor complaints about the compressor, the first is the gauge and the second is that you have two run back over to the compressor to shut it off or have someone else work the compressor when the tire is at pressure. Finally I got an ARB quick deflator, it was great and took less than 5 minutes to air down all 4 tires. IMG_0672.JPG

Attachments

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
I have made my first major purchase for the truck, CBI rock sliders with top plates, powder coated black. Unfortunately they have about a 10 week wait time and so it will almost be Christmas by the time I get them.

-A few pics from Ft. Fisher State Park

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
Nice rig, Brian. Love the 4Runner. .... Enjoy.

Seems to me, a Forum Moderator would have moved this to the appropriate section. I'm wondering if anyone is monitoring these forums?
Thanks dude. It’s been fun getting out and using it.

I’m not sure about the moderator thing.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Nice looking ride, I am on the fence over a Tacoma or 4Runner. What made you decide on the 4Runner after doing your research?

Looking forward to following your build.

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
Nice looking ride, I am on the fence over a Tacoma or 4Runner. What made you decide on the 4Runner after doing your research?

Looking forward to following your build.
They are both great vehicles, but for me the 4Runner worked better for my family, car seats fit in great, with little to no adjustment to the driver seat needed (I’m 5’ 11”). The cargo area is plenty big (I do not have the slide out tray), you know its going to retain its value and its just a bad ass truck that is built like a tank and is going to last a very long time. I was also willing to have to go to the gas pump a little more to get those things in return. The Tacoma is a heck of a truck though and if I didn’t have the family I would have thought long and hard between the two. I hope that helps, if not let me know and I’ll answer any specific questions you have.

Reactions: Marman

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Looks great. I ended up going with a 2020 T4R ORP so will be watching your thread for ideas. I installed RSG sliders this last weekend as well. Looking forward to watching your build.

Thanks,

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Building a T4R is expensive and confusing. It's not a Jeep. If you change anything on the suspension you will be forced to make other mods, which equals more money. Once you start down the modification road you need to be committed.

EVERY OUNCE COUNTS! Find flight of stairs. Walk up 3 levels. Then put on a 100 pound back pack and do it again. Which one was harder.

We love ours. Fully built! I have the recipie.

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
Building a T4R is expensive and confusing. It's not a Jeep. If you change anything on the suspension you will be forced to make other mods, which equals more money. Once you start down the modification road you need to be committed.

EVERY OUNCE COUNTS! Find flight of stairs. Walk up 3 levels. Then put on a 100 pound back pack and do it again. Which one was harder.

We love ours. Fully built! I have the recipie.
One of the main reasons I went with the TRD PRO is that the Toyota engineers already did their magic to it. I'm hoping that means I will need to do very little to it. What made you decide to modify your suspension? Tire size?

I would love to put some 32s or 33s on it, but I understand that's not easy to do without a body mount chop and some other things. I would like to pick your brain sometime about your rig and the choices you made.

Reactions: Stickman

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres
One of the main reasons I went with the TRD PRO is that the Toyota engineers already did their magic to it. I'm hoping that means I will need to do very little to it. What made you decide to modify your suspension? Tire size?

I would love to put some 32s or 33s on it, but I understand that's not easy to do without a body mount chop and some other things. I would like to pick your brain sometime about your rig and the choices you made.
I just put 255/80R17's(33x10.50) on my stock SR5. I am getting slight rubbing at full lock under flex. I wonder if it would better with TRD Pro Suspension that sits an 1" higher.

Reactions: Brian Root

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
1. Body mount chop ( kit available on line) $45+/-. A welder will charge you about $150 for the work.

2. Upper Control Arms. I went with Fabtech.

3. Three (3) inch suspension lift w/ adjustable coil overs with resivoir up front and taller springs and resivoir shocks in the rear. I went with dirt logics.

4. One (1) inch diff drop (not required but will allow your CV axle joints to articulate better with out constant stress on the joint.

5. One you go up in tire size your RPMs will be off and your truck will search for gears all the time. If you live in a hilly area you will need to think about gear set upgrade to at least 4.56. If your going to pull a 2k + pound trailer this is a must. May even consider 4.88s if trailer heavier. The gear change is matched to your tire size and RPMs desired (power / fuel economy). Seek out an expert to do the work! I went with Yukon 4.56s. I pull a 3500 pound Geo Pro trailer. I should have upgraded to 4.88s.

6. Stage 1 front fender chop. See YouTube. It's a do it yourself job. Easy. Take your time. This will give you a much better approach angle and will eliminate all tire rubs in the front.

7. Remove front mud flaps and cut plastic inner where you find it rubbing. Usually done in tandem with body mount chop. See YouTube.

8. Tire size. With the above mods you can easily run 295-70-R17 with no rubs. I'm running 285s.

Why did I upgrade my TRD suspension. The simple answer is that I destroyed it and a brand new set of stock tire size BFG KM3s doing a bucket list trip to Deadhorse, Alaska this past summer. The roads were trecherous and the pot holes came in herds! Since I had to change it anyway, I went bigger / better.

Stay away from wheel spacers. Waste of time and money. Dangerous. Will stop the rubbing on your UCAs, but will rub finder well when under flex in a different area.

Since your suspension is brand new you might be able to do a leveling kit. Can't guaranteed it won't rub.

No rubbing under ANY conditions with my set up. I just ran Imogene pass. Performed perfectly.

I'm also running a full Gobi rack and full cbi armor. No rear seats. Built custom cargo boxes to fill the area (3 sheets of plywood). My empty weight with two (2) adults and two (2) dogs is 5540lbs.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

You don't have to turn the compressor off when switching to a new tire. I've used mine dozens of times and I turn it on once , air up my tires then turn it off. No problems with mine or any of the units my friends own.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
You don't have to go crazy but you did pay a premium for the PRO suspension. Maybe you can sell it and recoup some money if you decide to go aftermarket... Here is what I went with...

-Eibach PRO kit with 8295 OME rear springs for carrying 500 lbs daily- has factory rake
-Durobump bumpstops front and rear
-JBA upper control arms
-stock size BFG KO2's- cuz I have no interest in re-gearing at this time. Or doing any of the other crap needed for bigger tires. I take my time and get through every thing I want to with nary an issue. Vehicle is so capable
-RCI skids
-C4Fab sliders
-Stock Trail wheels- can't beat them
-Firestone airbags ordered- one of my dirt bikes is very heavy and I feel I need a boost when I carry that one.

This setup has served me well for my use and was not a ton of money. I carry a Eezi-awn Blade tent permently mounted to the roof and carry a dirt bike on a bike carrier most of the time also. Sometimes tow a bunch of bikes. 2016 Trail Edition- same vehicle as a PRO. YMMV.

Reactions: Brian Root