Rank IV

Advocate III

Tigard, Oregon, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Reid
Member #

I’m finally getting to build up my already capable Outback for some overlanding adventures. I just upgraded my wheels & tires, I kept it simple with classic black steel wheels and wrapped them in the amazing BFG KO2’s. I stuck with my factory size 225/65r/17 until I do a lift kit. The KO2 is such an amazing tire and so much more capable off-roading.
I also just finished my DIY unistrut flat rack, it’s definitely overkill but I love having unlimited mounting and tie down spots along the c-channel.
Next on my list is build a drawer/cooler kitchenette setup in the back.

Attachments

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looking good Anthony! FYI a lift makes no difference on what fits the 5th gen.

Reactions: MiamiC70

OBSki

Rank III

Contributor III

California
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Wski
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (Ret.)
Looking good! How’s the ride, handling, and mpg’s with those new tires?

Reactions: AntWookie

AntWookie

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Reid
Member #

Finally finished my DIY wind deflector for my rack. Built it out of a free piece of aluminum composite and bolted it to the bottom of the rack.
This is version-1 and so far it has worked amazing the last couple weeks. No more crazy roof vibration at freeway speeds.

Attachments

Fozlander

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Annandale, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Bielawski
Thanks! The ride is not bad, definitely more road noise, and lost a little MPG. But the trade-off of the capabilities of the KO2s is totally worth it.
That's good to hear. Do you notice any difference in handling since you now have a significant increase in unsprung weight with steel wheels and heavy tires? I wonder how the on-road handling is since that is what gets you to the trails.

Cheers!

AntWookie

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Reid
Member #

Thanks! The ride is not bad, definitely more road noise, and lost a little MPG. But the trade-off of the capabilities of the KO2s is totally worth it.
That's good to hear. Do you notice any difference in handling since you now have a significant increase in unsprung weight with steel wheels and heavy tires? I wonder how the on-road handling is since that is what gets you to the trails.

Cheers!
Steering is a little heavier feeling but it’s not bad at all, and the Outback is still as nimble as ever on and off road.

Reactions: Fozlander