Hunterown

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sanford, NC, USA
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Owen
Finally Some Pictures. More will be taken and put up when I get back to the US.
I love it!!! I am starting to build out my 2019 Trail Boss now.... Of course this is after a manufacturing defect causing my transfer case to fail, rear window leak, and the dreaded 8 speed shutter..... but were running good now!

Thank for the photos. It really helps trying to understand what the possibilities are!

Reactions: SandBadgerFG5

Hunterown

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sanford, NC, USA
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Owen
Can you expound on your 8-speed shudder experience? I'm curious as to what you were experiencing.

The problem: It started at about 44K on the truck. I saw the RPM needle floating between 2-3 RPM and would feel what seemed to be the truck lunging forward or spudder. Then while traveling at 45-60 MPH it would sound and feel like I had just hit the rumble strips on the side of the road. I took it in for the rear window leak (bad seal from the factory), and had a tech go on a test drive. With in the first 4 min in the truck he stated that I have an 8 speed transmission and it was shuddering.

The Fix: Chevy took my truck for 24 hours.... They flushed the transmission and re filled it with "blue label". I have put about 300 miles on it since and the shudder is non existent and the shifting is smooth as butter now!

"The issue seems to stem from “moisture content in the transmission fluid.” As such, the old GM transmission liquid is swapped for new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP fluid."

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Thanks good to know. I only have 35k on my '17 with the 8-speed. But, should it happen in warranty I'll take it in, if not I'll flush it myself.

thanks!

Reactions: Hunterown

Gordo_K

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Slaton
Member #

Question for you and other full size rigs - I am assuming those are steps rather than rock sliders on the sides? Were you planning on changing those out for sliders?
Cheers,
Gordon

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

So sticking with the theme of making things harder on myself, I decided to do a trail boss build instead of the Toyota or Jeep route. I only spend about half the year in the US, so every time I’m home I am trying to add to the Rig. Next step will be suspension. I’m genuinely interested in some input as the best route to go. I’m looking for something in line with the Icon stage 3 suspension or similar. Currently the truck has the following:

-33x12.5 Toyo Open Country ATs
-Fab Fours Front bumper
-Light pods and bar in the bumper
-ProComp 6-Switch Kit w/touch panel
-Warn 10k winch with spydura synthetic line
-Voodoo Mid height bed rack
-CVT Rainer RTT
-ARB Awning
-ARB dual compressor
-ARB 60L fridge
-Bed power management system
-Lion Energy Safari LT generator
-2X 100W solar panels
-Waterport 3.8 g

Wants:
-Icon Stage 3 suspension
-Decked Box for bed
-Hot water system
-Mountain Hatch Tailgate Cover
-Rigd Mega Carrier spare tire

Any suggestions?
Love the Rig!

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Question for you and other full size rigs - I am assuming those are steps rather than rock sliders on the sides? Were you planning on changing those out for sliders?
Cheers,
Gordon
So I thought my stock side steps were simply that, but after putting a massive dent in them instead of my body I believe they'll function as rock sliders as well. While both Trail Overland and myself have been geeking out about the NFAB rock sliders, the aluminum stock ones aren't bad. I'll probably keep mine on until either I need to replace the current from abuse or after I replace the exhaust system and rear bumper.

Massive caveat, if you're doing light roads with little need for steel rock sliders like my current adventures on the East Coast, then you don't need to replace them at all and could save for different upgrades.

Gordo_K

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Slaton
Member #

So I thought my stock side steps were simply that, but after putting a massive dent in them instead of my body I believe they'll function as rock sliders as well. While both Trail Overland and myself have been geeking out about the NFAB rock sliders, the aluminum stock ones aren't bad. I'll probably keep mine on until either I need to replace the current from abuse or after I replace the exhaust system and rear bumper.

Massive caveat, if you're doing light roads with little need for steel rock sliders like my current adventures on the East Coast, then you don't need to replace them at all and could save for different upgrades.
Thanks. I figured I'd leave them on until I need to take them off since something between the body and the rocks is better than nothing. I was considering sliders since most I've seen can also be used as a jack/lift point which could be handy.

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Thanks. I figured I'd leave them on until I need to take them off since something between the body and the rocks is better than nothing. I was considering sliders since most I've seen can also be used as a jack/lift point which could be handy.
I might have to test out whether or not I can jack her from the stock steps. Hadn’t thought about that capacity use.

SandBadgerFG5

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Holtville, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Nice work on your rig. Glad to see another TrailBoss. Your doing a lot more than I plan, but I'm getting some great ideas from you. Thanks. Your pics are a bonus and your rig looks really cool. Hope to see more as you keep building, as well as some out in the field. When I get started I'll try and get some of my own shared.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I might have to test out whether or not I can jack her from the stock steps. Hadn’t thought about that capacity use.
I wouldn't do that. The stock steps I have are bolted to the body. If a slight bump can dent these steps, as I have already done, I think a hi-lift jack would really put a dent as you try to lift a couple thousand pounds. These full size trucks are about 6k pounds, and lifting at the center of rig (between the tires) means you're lifting a good deal of that weight. Take a look under your body to see how these steps are bolted to the body.

I would recommend getting the Hi-lift tire adapter. The whole point of jacking up a rig is to get something under the tire, or if the tire is flat, you can still mount to the tire lift it and stick a few rocks, or better yet a Jack-stand, under the axle.

At any rate, I know for sure the stock steps are not strong enough, as they are only mounted to the body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceman.Actual

Member I

North Carolina
First Name
Nino
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Nice seeing another trailboss on here getting the overland treatment! Just picked my 2020 custom trailboss about 2weeks ago and already hitting the trails. Keeping an eye on this build for sure!

Reactions: RoarinRow

CrookedSoulTX

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, Texas, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Y
Member #

I just picked up a 2020 Trailboss and am starting a build as well. Anxious to see how these rigs turn out
Nice, I actually like this platform more than I thought I would. I hope your build is one you enjoy.
It will be a slow build. Hopefully getting a rack and RTT by the end of the month.