Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rowley
Member #

So sticking with the theme of making things harder on myself, I decided to do a trail boss build instead of the Toyota or Jeep route. I only spend about half the year in the US, so every time I’m home I am trying to add to the Rig. Next step will be suspension. I’m genuinely interested in some input as the best route to go. I’m looking for something in line with the Icon stage 3 suspension or similar. Currently the truck has the following:

-33x12.5 Toyo Open Country ATs
-Fab Fours Front bumper
-Light pods and bar in the bumper
-ProComp 6-Switch Kit w/touch panel
-Warn 10k winch with spydura synthetic line
-Voodoo Mid height bed rack
-CVT Rainer RTT
-ARB Awning
-ARB dual compressor
-ARB 60L fridge
-Bed power management system
-Lion Energy Safari LT generator
-2X 100W solar panels
-Waterport 3.8 g

Wants:
-Icon Stage 3 suspension
-Decked Box for bed
-Hot water system
-Mountain Hatch Tailgate Cover
-Rigd Mega Carrier spare tire

Any suggestions?

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

subscribed. That's a lot of hardware on a newer truck. It'll be interesting to see how you can stuff the 10k winch in there. Most winch bumpers for these newer rigs give the rig an overall "fat-lip" look, and seriously reduce the approach angle. Maybe the newer models fixed this so the winch can be tucked up in tighter...
My '17 has that issue.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
subscribed. That's a lot of hardware on a newer truck. It'll be interesting to see how you can stuff the 10k winch in there. Most winch bumpers for these newer rigs give the rig an overall "fat-lip" look, and seriously reduce the approach angle. Maybe the newer models fixed this so the winch can be tucked up in tighter...
My '17 has that issue.
What bumper are you running on your 17? Pics?

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I'm running the stock bumper. I was referring to how the newer models don't allow much room behind the bumper for a winch, thus the fat lip when a winch is installed.
I'd like to modify my stock bumper to have a winch hidden behind it, but that will certainly take a bit of ingenuity and welding, and then repainting the bumper.

TrailBossTrauma

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rowley
Member #

My '17 has that issue.
So I’m running the Fab Fours Matrix, and they did a pretty solid job at “hiding” the winch and not pushing the weight too* far forward. There’s a winch tray now that extends behind the front skid plate, and then bumper attaches in front of it. Overall it’s a pretty solid set up. I’m still trying to add pictures but keep getting errors

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So I’m running the Fab Fours Matrix, and they did a pretty solid job at “hiding” the winch and not pushing the weight too* far forward. There’s a winch tray now that extends behind the front skid plate, and then bumper attaches in front of it. Overall it’s a pretty solid set up. I’m still trying to add pictures but keep getting errors
How difficult is it to get to the winch if you need to see the winch cable/rope?

Last edited:

TrailBossTrauma

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rowley
Member #

How difficult is it to get to the winch if you need to see the rich cable/rope?
It’s pretty easy to access, there are two cutouts in the bumper that allow to access the clutch or rope.

I guess to put it easily, I mounted the winch before mounting the bumper but was able to wire it after the bumper was mounted up, so pretty solid access.

Reactions: RickLB

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

It appears that bumper is only for the 2019 models, based on options on their website:

TrailBossTrauma

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rowley
Member #

So sticking with the theme of making things harder on myself, I decided to do a trail boss build instead of the Toyota or Jeep route. I only spend about half the year in the US, so every time I’m home I am trying to add to the Rig. Next step will be suspension. I’m genuinely interested in some input as the best route to go. I’m looking for something in line with the Icon stage 3 suspension or similar. Currently the truck has the following:

-33x12.5 Toyo Open Country ATs
-Fab Fours Front bumper
-Light pods and bar in the bumper
-ProComp 6-Switch Kit w/touch panel
-Warn 10k winch with spydura synthetic line
-Voodoo Mid height bed rack
-CVT Rainer RTT
-ARB Awning
-ARB dual compressor
-ARB 60L fridge
-Bed power management system
-Lion Energy Safari LT generator
-2X 100W solar panels
-Waterport 3.8 g

Wants:
-Icon Stage 3 suspension
-Decked Box for bed
-Hot water system
-Mountain Hatch Tailgate Cover
-Rigd Mega Carrier spare tire

Any suggestions?
Finally Some Pictures. More will be taken and put up when I get back to the US.

Attachments

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Nice ride! If it was my money I would look for something other than Icon. Not the most reliable and their past is disgusting. YMMV.

TrailBossTrauma

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rowley
Member #

Nice ride! If it was my money I would look for something other than Icon. Not the most reliable and their past is disgusting. YMMV.
I ended up with the Fabtech Kit with the dirt logic coils and shocks. They're getting built now, and I think will end up a little happier with the setup. When I get back to the US it will be going on in the next few weeks.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I ended up with the Fabtech Kit with the dirt logic coils and shocks. They're getting built now, and I think will end up a little happier with the setup. When I get back to the US it will be going on in the next few weeks.
Congrats and it's your money but again I couldn't get past icon's past and they will never see any of my money.....you have a very nice truck. Look forward to pics of you using it when you get back. Be safe.

tagtrailboss

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lockport, IL
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Grady
Nice to see another full size rig! Im assuming you used the 14" rack from voodoo? Would you be able to tell me the measurement from bottom of rack to tailgate? Trying to see if i could throw a bike in the bed while also keeping the rack low profile to not totally kill MPGs...

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

As a rule I usually hate Fab Fours because of some of the tragic stuff they do to Jeeps and some of the 3/4-1 tons. However, that bumper looks outstanding on your truck, and tucks nicely, avoiding the "fat lip" as Wile_ put it.

It looks like you've got yourself a really capable, great looking rig - and it's not another Jeep or Toyota (I say as a Jeep guy, lol)!!! A little more tire on those same rims so they don't have the rubber-band look and you'll be there.

-TJ