First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
2019 RAV4 - The #BabyYota Build Plan

My 2019 RAV4 is far from an "Overland Rig" but it’s a massive difference from my 12 year old Prius. My goals are humble: get back out into nature and explore more of the Pacific North West. While I don't expect to rock crawl, I do hope to access camping spots less travelled.

This thread is ultimately for me and functions as my inspiration, wish list, priority alignment, and budget expectations. To my future self, here's how she stands at the end of 2019:

RAV4.jpg

The following is my current list of priorities:

1) Yakima Skyrise Rooftop Tent (2 Person)

Exploring roof top tent options is what originally led me to this community. My ground tent fits a queen size air mattress with lots of room and I can fit a lot of my gear in my Yakima skybox. I love the idea of rolling with a roof top tent when it's just me out and about. The Yakima Skyrise is a good compromise for the factory bars since Yakima and Thule have yet to offer after market options.

• Budget: $879.99 - $1,099

2) Yakima SkyRise Annex for the 2-person SkyRise Tent

The annex feels like a luxury. But what the hell, I may as well include it here.

• Budget: $219.00 - $279

3) Tires - All Terrain T/A KO2 LRE / Set of 4 (255/55R18 BFG)

My short time on this forum reveals tire upgrades are necessary. My local dealer already offers this option and shopping around locally hasn't revealed any better deals. I also have loyalty to the dealer since they replaced my Prius' hybrid system for labor when it crapped out at > 125K miles.

• Budget: $1,217.00 (installed)

TODO: Will a spare fit? Add the cost of a spare.

4) 2" READY LIFT

My local dealer offers this option and it has been tested with Toyota safety sense. Important because this remains my daily driver.
Is this high enough?
Do I need it if I'm not rock crawling?

• Budget: $960 (installed)

5) Sliders

Sliders appear necessary when encountering rocks. Do I expect to do this type of Overlanding? Probably not.

• Budget: Unknown

TODO: research the slider options for 2019 RAV4

6) Comms: 75-822 PORTABLE/MOBILE CB RADIO
CB radio appears to be utilized by the U.S. Northwest crew and is useful for my daily commute when Portland traffic turns to shit (LOL). A portable CB option feels like a great option and the Midland 75-822 appears to be a well rated choice.

• Budget: $124.95

TODO: Antenna upgrade needs? Also HAM radio options.

TODO: get saving laddie. No Gibson Les Paul for you!!!

Viva Cascadia!
Gary

malacandro

Rank I

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Abraham
Member #

2019 RAV4 - The #BabyYota Build Plan

My 2019 RAV4 is far from an "Overland Rig" but it’s a massive difference from my 12 year old Prius. My goals are humble: get back out into nature and explore more of the Pacific North West. While I don't expect to rock crawl, I do hope to access camping spots less travelled.

This thread is ultimately for me and functions as my inspiration, wish list, priority alignment, and budget expectations. To my future self, here's how she stands at the end of 2019:

View attachment 132076

The following is my current list of priorities:

1) Yakima Skyrise Rooftop Tent (2 Person)

Exploring roof top tent options is what originally led me to this community. My ground tent fits a queen size air mattress with lots of room and I can fit a lot of my gear in my Yakima skybox. I love the idea of rolling with a roof top tent when it's just me out and about. The Yakima Skyrise is a good compromise for the factory bars since Yakima and Thule have yet to offer after market options.

• Budget: $879.99 - $1,099

2) Yakima SkyRise Annex for the 2-person SkyRise Tent

The annex feels like a luxury. But what the hell, I may as well include it here.

• Budget: $219.00 - $279

3) Tires - All Terrain T/A KO2 LRE / Set of 4 (255/55R18 BFG)

My short time on this forum reveals tire upgrades are necessary. My local dealer already offers this option and shopping around locally hasn't revealed any better deals. I also have loyalty to the dealer since they replaced my Prius' hybrid system for labor when it crapped out at > 125K miles.

• Budget: $1,217.00 (installed)

TODO: Will a spare fit? Add the cost of a spare.

4) 2" READY LIFT

My local dealer offers this option and it has been tested with Toyota safety sense. Important because this remains my daily driver.
Is this high enough?
Do I need it if I'm not rock crawling?

• Budget: $960 (installed)

5) Sliders

Sliders appear necessary when encountering rocks. Do I expect to do this type of Overlanding? Probably not.

• Budget: Unknown

TODO: research the slider options for 2019 RAV4

6) Comms: 75-822 PORTABLE/MOBILE CB RADIO
CB radio appears to be utilized by the U.S. Northwest crew and is useful for my daily commute when Portland traffic turns to shit (LOL). A portable CB option feels like a great option and the Midland 75-822 appears to be a well rated choice.

• Budget: $124.95

TODO: Antenna upgrade needs? Also HAM radio options.

TODO: get saving laddie. No Gibson Les Paul for you!!!

Viva Cascadia!
Gary
Don’t forget to add recovery/safety gear to your list (ignore the rest if you have it). More boring, but drastically improves life when needed. Get a D shackle attachment for your tow hitch, Grab a combo snatch strap/toe strap from Amazon, get a first aid kit, foldable shovel, Pair of gloves, and the basic tools. Grab a life straw, and a few basic survival things that stay in your car at all times. Be sure your jack still lifts your car high enough with the new tires and lift.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Don’t forget to add recovery/safety gear to your list (ignore the rest if you have it). More boring, but drastically improves life when needed. Get a D shackle attachment for your tow hitch, Grab a combo snatch strap/toe strap from Amazon, get a first aid kit, foldable shovel, Pair of gloves, and the basic tools. Grab a life straw, and a few basic survival things that stay in your car at all times. Be sure your jack still lifts your car high enough with the new tires and lift.
Excellent. All very important items to research. My education continues.

Thanks for sharing.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

You're on the right track!

IMO I would put the tires, recovery equipment, rack and armor at the top of the list and the RTT at the bottom. The RTT is cool but it won't help you get to, or more importantly, back from awesome spots. :)

This is one of my favorite builds in progress.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Reactions: AutomaticBluez

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
You're on the right track!

IMO I would put the tires, recovery equipment, rack and armor at the top of the list and the RTT at the bottom. The RTT is cool but it won't help you get to, or more importantly, back from awesome spots. :)

This is one of my favorite builds in progress.
Fantastic. That is inspiring. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: JCWages

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
I understand the loyalty thing but the price on those tires is kinda high. They generally run $215-$225 each and install should only be $80 or so. It wouldn't hurt to check your local Discount Tire. They price match too. So I regularly check Walmart and Amazon and ask Discount Tire/America's Tire to match.

Fair point. Especially since I will want a spare. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JCWages

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Maybe skip the bfgs all together , I think there’s a lot better tires out on the market for the same or less money . If you drive a lot really take tire road noise into consideration. All unibody rigs have a tendacy to transmit a ton of road noise and certain tires make it a lot worse . Also look at tire weight , a few pounds saved on the tires can lead to better mpgs.
Another thing to toss in the rig is a tire repair kit and get a good one with quality handles on it , last thing you want is the handle breaking and the metal rod going into your hand .
and don’t forget to share some pictures of your adventures But also don’t make the whole trip just about taking pictures really sit back and enjoy where you’re traveling and taking all the beauty we have a lot here in the Pacific Northwest to look at.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Maybe skip the bfgs all together , I think there’s a lot better tires out on the market for the same or less money . If you drive a lot really take tire road noise into consideration. All unibody rigs have a tendacy to transmit a ton of road noise and certain tires make it a lot worse . Also look at tire weight , a few pounds saved on the tires can lead to better mpgs.
Another thing to toss in the rig is a tire repair kit and get a good one with quality handles on it , last thing you want is the handle breaking and the metal rod going into your hand .
and don’t forget to share some pictures of your adventures But also don’t make the whole trip just about taking pictures really sit back and enjoy where you’re traveling and taking all the beauty we have a lot here in the Pacific Northwest to look at.
I thought the same thing and then looked up his tire size. There really weren't many decent options.

Reactions: AutomaticBluez

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Good thoughts, especially for a daily driver. I’m still researching and learning what options I have available. This community is a great resource and jumping off point.

Self sufficiency is also key as I learn. I’m a software guy just getting a head for this hardware.

Thanks for the insight.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you play around with tire size a little it will open some more option . In the size your looking for your choices are limited but there are still some good ones . EC74599F-72CB-4216-9D5F-C0612559EA26.png
and stepping up one size has a few more options FCC94796-EFE7-4AF0-AE34-85FEB7320068.pngD333A3ED-0AA0-4553-AACF-9BD13F064CBB.png

I know this may sound silly but is it possible to step to a smaller size rim and then just sell off your tires and wheels as a combo to recoup some of your money? The more actual tire you have the better you’re off road ride will be the more traction will be available to you.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
If you play around with tire size a little it will open some more option . In the size your looking for your choices are limited but there are still some good ones . View attachment 132166
and stepping up one size has a few more options View attachment 132168View attachment 132167

I know this may sound silly but is it possible to step to a smaller size rim and then just sell off your tires and wheels as a combo to recoup some of your money? The more actual tire you have the better you’re off road ride will be the more traction will be available to you.
Interesting thoughts. I’ve only had the RAV4 for about a month with 2K miles.

Thanks,
Gary