Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Hello, Friends!

I have only had my Rav for about 7 weeks now, but I have been kindof a test rat for a lot of various upgrades.

I am coming from a 2002 4Runner that was pretty kitted out for or collective hobby.

20180908_082024-800x600.jpg

I sold it for some various plans my wife and I thought we were going to undertake (an Airstream travel trailer), but ended up getting into a new Rav4 when we decided to stick to regular life. My wife has a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro with a few mods (lift and MTs mostly), so I knew I could still play with that if I really wanted to get wild on the trails. But, I am honestly getting pretty excited to see what the new Rav will do!

[Pics forthcoming!]

So, here are some of the main things I've done:

1) ~30.5" Goodyear Duratrac tires (215/85r16) with a full-sized matching spare. 215-width is as wide as will [...kinda] fit in th stock location, and this is about the only 215-width size available in all terrain. They are quite tall, but only baaarely rub at the lower front lip of the front wheel wells at full-lock. It hasnt been enough to make me trim, but I suspect it will get worse when I take her to some trails. But, now I have 5 matching wheels and tires! Given the Rav's complete lack of sound deadening, they are indeed louder than I'd really like (these are about the most aggressive "all terrains" I have seen, and are as loud as some previous MTs Ive owned). They seem to also be the main source of fuel mileage reduction, having lost about 2 mpg or so (weight and friction). However, I am overall excited about them, and will surely love them once I get a chance to get some sound deadening in there!

Screenshot_20190620-195449_Chrome-600x1233.jpg

Tight squeeze of that full-sized spare! I keep my batter jumper, jumper cables, and ARB tire repair kit in the wheel.

20190621_180632-800x600.jpg

2) 16" Wheels. In this case, I am running 16x6.5" wheels; the narrower width is to accomodate the narrow 215 tires and still have some sidewall bulge for airing down. Wheel selection in widths less than 7" is very small, so I settled on some that I had to paint black myself, and then run hub-centric spacers to get an offset I wanted. The spacers are 38mm (1.5") rear, and 32mm (1.25" front), for total offsets of +4 and +10, respectively. I re-torqued them at 100 miles-they werent loose, but I was able to get a little grunt out of about half the stufs. I wanted 16" wheels to maximize sidewall, which aids in ride comfort (especially off road), and gives more room for airing down on the trails. I have about the same amount of tire sidewall as a factory 5th gen 4Runner.

Screenshot_20190620-195433_Chrome-600x1233.jpg

3) Readylift 2" / 1.5" Lift kit, plus an additional ~1.68" rear lift from 25mm spacers made for the 4th gen Rav4. Yes, 4th gen rear spacers fit! I wanted the extra rear lift to accomodate the weight of my hitch, bike rack, tools, hi-lift jack, heavier spare, and recovery gear over the rear axle. Even lifting the rear ~3.2" over stock, I am sitting at about 2.2" over stock in the rear, and about 1.75" over stock in the front (air compressor and such). I also removed the anti-sway bars, which should also help a good bit with how she behaves off road!

If I could do it over again, I'd have used the 35mm rear spacers instead of 25mm, because Id like a bit more lift and the rear driveline angles are nowhere close to reliability limits.

4) Ceramic window tint and AVS window vent shades. The vent shades allow me to keep the windows cracked while parked with no exposure to rain or prying hands. Between the mild air circulation and the tint, I can get in my vehicle at 2pm here in Florida and it isn't more than 100 degrees or so inside, instead of the 120+ you'd expect. These vent shades are stick-on, as opposed to tucking into the window channel, but I dont even notice anymore.

20190617_032115.jpg

20190616_131202-800x600.jpg

5) Curt hitch + Bike Rack. The hitch went on very easily, and I was super happy with the ~$160 I paid for it. Seems to work as advertised. With the lift, it sits about 11" off the ground. Departure angle is moderately effected, especially with the rack, which is part of what inspired the lift.

I have seriously considered mounting a jerry can holder (or, well, making one) on the tire carrier. It has rated for 105lb and my bike is only 39ish (5" fat tires will do that lol), so I have some wiggle room. Of course, at 30+ mpg with a 14gal tank I still have pretty solid range, but it could be nice knowing I could stretch that to almost 600 miles if I ever really needed to.

52615.jpg

6) I already mentioned my tools (I have done 4 full suspension jobs with what is in my vehicle's tool bag!), and recovery gear (a pretty comprehensive kit left over from my 4Runner). I have the hi-lift and shovel mounted on the roof, and just got the traction boards mounted up there tonight as well. Not sure the boards will stay up there permanently, but we'll see.

20190620_194415-800x600.jpg

7) And finally, my air compressor. As often as I futz with tire pressures on my car and bike, I was really missing having a hard-mounted compressor like in my previous 4Runner (pictured above). Obviously, I have a good bit less room now⁷, but even after removing the compressor from the tank, I chickened out when it came to drilling holes in the body to run power to the rear. So, I mounted it under the hood! I'll have to come up with something a bit more permanent, but for now it's secure enough. It has juuuuust enough power without the tank to use my compact impact wrench to rattle off one lug nut at a time, but its still less tedius than turning them off by hand. And, it should refill all 4 of these tires in maybe 6 minutes or so. I built a 4-way spider inflator / deflator a couple years ago to make that part pretty simple.

I am going to experiment with doubling the hose length (20 to 40ft of 1/2" air hose) to effectjvely double the "tank" size to 0.4 total gallons between the compressor and tool. I had one lug nut (of 20) that wouldnt come off until I added about 5-10 ft/lb of manual torque with a wrench on the outside of the socket with an additional wrench. So I figure a small bump in air capacity might help with those first few taps of the internal hammer. If that shows promise but isnt a huge change, I might add a small 1/4 or 1/2 gallon actual tank under the hood as well.

20190619_193144.jpg

I'm going to take her out to some trails this weekend, so hopefully everything goes well!

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Took her out a bit today! Definitely limited by ground clearance more than anything; between the aggressive tires, the lift, and the removed anti-sway bars, never once did the ABS have to kick in to move power between the tires, while still rubbing the belly, rockers, hitch, and even front bumper several times!

A little flexage!
20190622_162059-800x600.jpg

This hill is steeper than it looks; my rav is on level ground at the top.
20190622_162318-800x600.jpg

Airing back up! I only went down to 25 PSI since the compressor setup is new and I wanted to be able to drive to the gas station if it failed. But, it worked as expected, so I'll be going down to 15 PSI next time. And, all 4 tires from 25 to 50 PSI in about 5 minutes!
20190622_165105-800x600.jpg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

It looks great!

The ground clearance looks pretty tight. May some custom skids would be a good area to focus on next.

Reactions: Shamu

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Yeah, at the very least I am probably just going to buy the LP Adventure engine / trans skid plate. Even at 11 inches of ground clearance, I still rubbed the center. Otherwise, it was not that unlike doing the same trails in my 4Runner, heh.

I am also debating buying their front bumper protector, but we'll see.

Reactions: JCWages

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Had another good round! Actually got a chance to make "Dirt and Rock" mode work for me; coming back up this hill, fhe right rear started to break loose but was quickly caught. I heard the brakes, and my friend in his Jeep behind me saw it happen. But, momentum-wise, the action was pretty transparent.

20190623_114559.jpg

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

First sound-deadening panel!
20190624_180011-800x600.jpg

Almost done! I used about 22lbs of the material. I ordered 4 boxes at 25lb each, so I think Im going to have way too much.
20190624_182703-800x600.jpg

And one panel under the hood, because why not?
20190624_185405-800x600.jpg

I havent done any doors yet, but on the same stretch of highway this allowed about a 20% reduction in radio volume (33-35 down to 25-27) for the same aural perception of the music! I was going to have the doors professionally done tomorrow, but honestly this wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected, and was kindof a pleasant way to spent the evening. So, I might just save myself the $220 quoted and do it myself!

mk-Zero

Rank 0

Contributor II

Orange County, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
C
Cool, I like it! Looks like it does pretty well, too!
Can you actually jack it up with a Hi-Lift? I can't imagine what your jacking points on there would be. I see the tow hooks on the front, but I wouldn't think you would be able to safely support half the vehicle weight on one of those... Might be better off with just a bottle jack. Just a thought.

Reactions: WAYAWAY and Shamu

mk-Zero

Rank 0

Contributor II

Orange County, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
C
But then... how do you change that tire?
Would you jack up the entire side of the car from one wheel and change the other?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

With the scissor jack, which I might just replace with a pair of jack stands entirely. Between the lift and taller tires, the factory scissor jack isn't tall enough to work from any factory points anyways.

Reactions: mk-Zero

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Bottle jack time?
For just changing tires on the side of the road, sure, I'll concede a bottle jack is simpler option.

However, one can't safely get under the vehicle with just a bottle jack, so a jack stand would be a better emergency gear choice for someone who already has another lifting option. I can do any lifting I need with the hi-lift--far more than is possible with the bottle jack--and the jack stands would be a safer alternative than any jack for just supporting the veicle if that is a requirement (i.e. checking out underbody damage on the trail). Plus the aluminum ones I am looking break down for compact storage and only weigh 5lb each! .

(I am aware of the bottle jacks with built-in locking pins, but relative to my existing equipment they offer little of value over lightweight jack stands).

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The browser hadn't fully updated when I replied so I missed your photos of the Hi-Lift and wheel adapter. :)

But for others reading this thread here's a good jack comparison video by Ronny. He is wrong about using the Hi-Lift on stock vehicles because he forgot about the wheel adapter but it's still a good video.

Reactions: mk-Zero

mk-Zero

Rank 0

Contributor II

Orange County, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
C
Bottle jack time?
That's what I was thinking. But I hadn't thought about jacking up a wheel and then putting a jack stand in, sounds like a good solution!

To the OP, glad you have it all worked out, should work well! Got a link to the foldable jack stands you mentioned?

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

That's what I was thinking. But I hadn't thought about jacking up a wheel and then putting a jack stand in, sounds like a good solution!

To the OP, glad you have it all worked out, should work well! Got a link to the foldable jack stands you mentioned?
For sure! I almost bought a HiLift earlier in the year but at the time my wheels were sunk too far into the fenders to make the HiLift work without risking panel damage so I went with a bottle jack. I use the Maxsa traction boards as a base when needed in snow. When I get some real rock sliders on I will definitely get a HiLift to add to my toolbox. I get stuck a lot when snow wheeling. :)

Lindenwood's wheels poke enough to allow the HiLift to work well without the main bar hitting the fender.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Yeah, I had armor on all 4 sides of my 4Runner, and still found lifting from the wheel was much safer. Lifting from a slider carries a lot of risk of slipping, and lifting from the front or rear bumper carries a lot of risk of the vehicle and jack wanting to fall sideways (which actually has happened to me a couple times, but only when the vehicle was mayve an inch off the ground so no real hard). So yeah, regardless, I'll always lift from the wheel (especially since that is my only option now).

Of note, for a stuck vehicle, lifting from the wheel directly is actually a much faster and safer way to get boards / rocks under the tire, because you don't have to decompress the suspension.

Going to try to knock out the rest of my sound deadening today!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I've spent 5 total hours putting in 50lbs of sound deadening. About 20lbs went into the 4 side doors, 5lb on the under side of the hood, and the remaining 25lb on the entire surface under the cargo floor and the hatch.

Engine noise was the most surprising change, presumably from the hood dampening. Honestly, I really didn't mind the engine noise now that I think of it, so I am kindof disappointed that I almost can't hear it anymore even at 4000 RPM (I am normally gentle, but had to test). It sounds like driving a lexus--very muffled as opposed to that relatively "pure" angry 4-banger sound of a factory Rav.

Wind noise was also notably reduced, but tire noise from my aggressive Goodyear Duratracs is still quite pronounced, unfortunately. As an aside, these "all terrains" are louder than the Treadwright Mud Claws that I had on my Samurai, and honestly for that reason I wouldn't recommend them (I have had quieter MTs than this, even).

Still, overall, what before took a minimum radio volume of 33-35 out of 50, for example, now only requires about 20-23 for the same aural clarity. Turning it up to 35 at my normal commute speeds is actually kindof piercing now.

Bottom Line: especially with normal all-season or even milder all-terrain tires, I think this was absolutely a worthwhile mod.

20190625_162116-800x600.jpg

The deadening is not rated for external use, but I still have 50lb of it. So, in the next couple days I am going to experiment with removing the external wheel well liners and pasting the deadening mat against the wheel wells from the outside. We'll see if that helps with the tire noise.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Nice work!

I hate to tell you this, but Duratracs are notorious for getting really noisy sometime after 25k or so. Mine were fairly quiet for a hybrid AT until 20k and then they started humming. By 30k I hated them. :(

If you've had them less than 30days they may have a satisfaction guarantee....

Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

These Duratracs are about to go in the trash. I have owned 3 sets of MTs and none of them have been this loud. They are getting louder and louder. New tires are in the mail.

Also, if somebody wants a free set of 30.5 x 8.5 x 16" Duratracs to pick up in the Florida panhandle, let me know. You'll have to pick them up in Ft Walton Beach at Tires Plus, because I'm not bringing them home from there.