2019 Ram 1500

• HTML tutorial

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

Well I bought a new 19 Ram 1500. In a couple of days it will be leveled and 35s put on it. Any suggestions on roof racks or the next step to take?20180914_155106.jpeg

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

+1 on the tow hooks. Like the look of the 19 but somethings I just didn't really like. But each their own. I would still love it though.... It's a ram.

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

I should have elaborated, 35" tires will get you stuck eventually and usually sooner than later. Having recovery points is essential.

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have been trying to decide if I want to a camper shell with a roof rack on top and do a rooftop tent up there, or do a bed rack with the tent on top of that and the roof rack over the cab. Any ideas or suggestions?

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I have been trying to decide if I want to a camper shell with a roof rack on top and do a rooftop tent up there, or do a bed rack with the tent on top of that and the roof rack over the cab. Any ideas or suggestions?
I would plan out your bed configuration first and how you want to use it before putting a cap on. Just remember everything starts adding weight and your stock suspension will pay for it.

Reactions: Gothere

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
Depends on what you want to do. If you need the space, with coverage, then a camper shell and RRT is the way to go. If you pack light, and plan to need a low center of gravity, then get a storage system, and a low bed rack with a RTT. Just decide what you want to do and weigh your options.

EDIT: I agree with Chadlyb, and would offer an addition for that, try it out, just throw your stuff in the back and go camping. See how you use it, and plan for convenience upgrades. I thought I knew what I wanted, then I took a trip and it changed.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Depends on what you want to do. If you need the space, with coverage, then a camper shell and RRT is the way to go. If you pack light, and plan to need a low center of gravity, then get a storage system, and a low bed rack with a RTT. Just decide what you want to do and weigh your options.

EDIT: I agree with Chadlyb, and would offer an addition for that, try it out, just throw your stuff in the back and go camping. See how you use it, and plan for convenience upgrades. I thought I knew what I wanted, then I took a trip and it changed.
Also agree....thought I wanted to cap my rig but went the way of rack and the weight of the cap I used in an extensive rear bumper with Jerry can holders, high lift jack and spare tire. Plus eliminating blind spots . I like my choice because it works for me...find what you need then buy.20180726_185248.jpg

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks to everyone for giving me some good input. I have so many ideas and plans for the truck just trying to narrow down what I want. I know I'm going to do a bed system where a grill or cooking top slides out of the bed and for it to have storage. Possibly a fridge one fridge one day. So that's why I was leaning more towards the camper shell.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Gothere

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alabama
When I went camping for the first time, I realized that I would always need the back seats, or the room that the back seats took up. Because I'd either go with my fiance and our dogs, or with 3-4 people. So then I started figuring out packing the rear cargo area, that became a priority. I knew I didn't want to rely on the small 160z propane tanks, so I wanted to carry my smaller tank (2 gal). I came up with, 1st thing would be rear storage drawers, then rear tire carrier for stuff I can mount in the outside, and more interior organization, because on trips, the truck gets very messy.

Before that, I prioritized skid plates, winch, and front bumper. The trails around here are not hard enough for those to be a concern, so I rethought my game plan.

I really hope you keep us updated as you are the first 2019 Ram I've seen being built, and I will be following this thread closely. Good luck!

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

The biggest thing I am running into right now is that nobody has any products for them yet. Lucky me tho, I come from a background of building hot rods and old cars with my dad so we have a metal shop I can make some stuff. I have looked at making a bed rack system with cabinets on the side so I can put a fridge in and other stuff. Also, add a rooftop tent and canopies on the sides.

RatRod46

Rank 0

Traveler I

Update on the truck! The tires are rubbing so I am having to trim the front fenders. I have been trying to draw plans up for bed rack. Any ideas on a cool bed rack designs.