Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

Hey all!

So here's the thread for my 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 build. It is going to be my adventuremodile/overlanding rig. So far nothings been added to the truck but I have a handful of parts planned out. Hopefully in a couple months I will be heading out to Montana to pick up my GoFastCamper which I am excited about. For me it is the best option to suite my needs and what I hope to do! That is the main attraction, but additionally I am looking into Icon Stage 2 suspension (and similar), BFG K02s in 32-34 inch (still learning/looking into what will be overall best), and Fifteen52 or BlackRhino 17in wheels.

Those will be that main add ons in the beginning as they are arguably the most important. Other parts I have looked into will be the ADD front/read bumpers and small misc items. One project I want to try to design is a roof rack that attaches to the front of the GFC on the underside that will be extended over the roof. I have found another roof rack but it requires drilling into the cab which wold void warranty if any water happens to make it way into the cab from the drill holes. My overall goal is to keep it under all the warranties and still get the performance and functionality out of it that I want.

Below will be the photo of my truck stock and in the coming time I will update with progress pics as parts come in and such! I look forward in sharing this build with you all!

Attachments

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I look forward to this build. I'd put rock sliders high, very high, on your list as well as any skid plates you don't currently have. Long wheelbase vehicles tend to have breakover issues and sliders are extreamely helpful!

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

I look forward to this build. I'd put rock sliders high, very high, on your list as well as any skid plates you don't currently have. Long wheelbase vehicles tend to have breakover issues and sliders are extreamely helpful!
Ahh yes! I did forget about sliders. Rocky Roads set of supersliders or kicker rocksliders will be needed.
I do have a skid plate underneath the front bumper. I haven't actually checked the rest of the underside for more. Nor have I looked into some. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Ahh yes! I did forget about sliders. Rocky Roads set of supersliders or kicker rocksliders will be needed.
I do have a skid plate underneath the front bumper. I haven't actually checked the rest of the underside for more. Nor have I looked into some. Thanks for the info!
Definitely!

Ohh and double check those RR sliders. For my truck they mount to the frame AND the body. You don't want that. Stick to frame mount only or you risk damaging the body. There's another Ranger build in here and he just posted pics of another brand that's worth looking into. There are also universal kits from Chassis Unlimited that are pre-cut and can be welded together.

Reactions: Marman

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Really looking forward to this build. If you haven't yet, check out the Ranger 5G site for information on just the Ranger.

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

So little update! No big parts have come in yet, GFC will hopefully be later this year to pick up. However part of the camping gear came in so I am excited about getting to use it all. Took the Ranger up into the mountains for some exploring of camping spots before the snow became an issue. It did very well (only very rocky trails and snow) on the trails, once we get into deeper snow we will see how well it does. The new tires/wheels along with the suspension will help with this too. Speaking of which the Icon Stage 2 is planned to be the next big purchase when the funds are there! Also @JCWages the RR sliders for the Ranger do mount to the frame and body, so thanks for the heads up! I have looked around more and ShrockWorks has a set out there that (from the product page) only mounts to the frame and are cheaper than the RR in price! Not much to update but I will include some basic truck photos and a few spots we came across today. Also a beautiful Idaho sunset. Take care!

Attachments

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

The new Ranger is very nice. This is going to be a great build. I can feel it.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I am in for this build despite the fact you are getting Icon suspension. Just can't get past their past but it's your money.

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

Nice truck, is this the 2.0 Twin turbo Diesel or the 2.3L Turbo Petrol motor... not quite sure what ‘flavour’ engines you lot in the states get.
2.3L. They do not offer the diesel in the states yet. The Colorado has Chevys Diesel engine and was the main point I was looking into Colorado’s at first.

I am in for this build despite the fact you are getting Icon suspension. Just can't get past their past but it's your money.
Yes the suspension is a good chunk of change but I haven’t found another set up that gets me the same benefits like the increase travel, height, and overall drive performance. I’m not looking for just a lift kit.

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

First DIY addition was put on today. Borrowed the idea from the Tacoma for a bed rail up front. So bought a Toyota rail, cut to size, drilled holes, RTVed (overkill) the holes and slapped it on. Once the GFC is installed I’ll mount my truck axe with some quick fist clamps up there for easy out of the way storage. Also have plenty of rail space for other stuff I think of/get ideas from others to mount. Didn’t mind drilling through the bed, it’s an addition that’s out of the way and adds functionality. Let me know what ya think!

Attachments

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

Finally happened! Installed the Icon Suspension this past weekend and I really enjoy the way its changed the look of the truck. And I am excited to get out and use the thing and test it out. To my eye the Ranger looks like its too high in the front so I will have to mess around with the adjustment here soon, any good tips to make it easy to level besides going around with a tape measure? Also added the rotopax on a plate I rigged up with the lock for the rotopax. Next up will be either rock sliders or wheels/tires, these stock tires are doing well enough for now. Also looking into front/rear bumper for options! Also toying with the idea of fabing a metal storage box for the left hand inside the bed area. Have a good one!

IMG_4089.jpgIMG_4088.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Finally happened! Installed the Icon Suspension this past weekend and I really enjoy the way its changed the look of the truck. And I am excited to get out and use the thing and test it out. To my eye the Ranger looks like its too high in the front so I will have to mess around with the adjustment here soon, any good tips to make it easy to level besides going around with a tape measure? Also added the rotopax on a plate I rigged up with the lock for the rotopax. Next up will be either rock sliders or wheels/tires, these stock tires are doing well enough for now. Also looking into front/rear bumper for options! Also toying with the idea of fabing a metal storage box for the left hand inside the bed area. Have a good one!

View attachment 126373View attachment 126374
Dude, looks great, if not entirely too clean. We're gonna have to fix that this weekend!

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

New suspension can take a day or two to settle and a couple thousand miles to really break in. Now you can speed things up if you take it offroad and have some fun. :smilingimp:

If it doesn't level out you may need to reduce the mount of preload on the coilover to drop the front a little.

Reactions: NV Badlands

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

New suspension can take a day or two to settle and a couple thousand miles to really break in. Now you can speed things up if you take it offroad and have some fun. :smilingimp:

If it doesn't level out you may need to reduce the mount of preload on the coilover to drop the front a little.
We didn't have much time with a lift so we had to guess for the most part. But I will be able to adjust more when I re torque after 100 miles. It will be put to somewhat of a test this weekend.

Reactions: reaver and JCWages

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

Finally! Got the email my GFC is complete! So I’ll be picking it up in Fedurary and I’m stoked! Hopefully the snow isn’t too deep this time of year around Yellowstone, might spend a night or two out there. Can’t wait to share it with y’all!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Finally! Got the email my GFC is complete! So I’ll be picking it up in Fedurary and I’m stoked! Hopefully the snow isn’t too deep this time of year around Yellowstone, might spend a night or two out there. Can’t wait to share it with y’all!
Nice dude. Can't wait to see it!

HoosierT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fishers, IN
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Turner
Member #

So jealous, that's gonna be sick.

Reactions: WalkerTexasRanger

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Does your Ranger have that most annoying “feature” of shutting the engine off at every stop sign or light?