Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The impression in the article was the vehicle was specifically expensive because it had been imported to Australia, and would be less expensive in the States.

But, good on them for pushing the 2.0T format to such a "manly" platform. Though, I can see why folks think it is a little gutless in a 4000+lb truck, especially in a market where the 4Runner's 275hp feels slow to a lot of folks.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
The Ranger will get the 2.3l EcoBoost. The current version of the engine puts out 280hp and 310 torque. To start it should be plenty of power attached to the 10 speed auto. I imagine it should get ok gas milage to. EB engines are known for power but not great mpg's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Lindenwood

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I'm stoked to see it and check it out. I sold my 05 F150 4x4 for the WK2 and although I love the Jeep, I'm planning on going back to a truck soon.

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
A lot of people say the EB are powerful (true) but don't get great gas MPG. I'll argue they do. I have a 4x4 3.5L EB with the Max Tow package and 3.55 locking rear end. I've added 1.75" in the front to levelish it and fit the 33s. Will sticking 35's affect MPG? On every single vehicle. Will driving it in boost do that? Every time.

The 10 speed comes with 5 modes, one of them being ECO, and while I drive in Normal most of the time, the ECO and normal control the electronic wastegate to limit boost pressure buildup (improving MPG but slowing down the truck), and the 10 speed transmission works pretty fluidly in the background to optimize power.

After 10,000 miles my average is 19.1 MPG with stock tires. For a big truck that I drive mild-medium, that's impressive. My Tacoma averaged 15.6 with those same heavy 33's.

More power = worse MPG || UNLESS || Less power = engine works harder.

The 3.5L works hard if you push it, but not really if you don't.

--
All of that to say I think the 10 speed + 2.3L in the ranger will probably offer similar MPG as the f150 with a much smaller footprint, and still a peppy experience.

My 3.5L Tacoma v6 with the 6 speed transmission not only got worse MPG after modding a little, it was a dog. It badly needed a regear. BADLY.

--
One more note. I chose SL and P tires, or a C Load. I had E Loads before, and it greatly added unsprung weight. Which is why people say they get bad MPG with a tire size upgrade.

1. Larger diameter messes up your metrics calculations.
2. Heavier tires add unsprung weight.

Those 2 factors add more to the (I lost MPG) than any single other thing I've been able to determine.

Reactions: jscusmcvet

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
I agree, however, I do think the Ranger will do better than the F150 in MPG. At least in gas form. I am anxious to see if and what diesel motor they put in it. I wonder if the F150's diesel would fit. I don't know how big it looks in the engine bay to say it would fit in the Ranger. Still, I think the gas Ranger 4x4 will average 25 MPG hwy. We'll see...

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
Still, I think the gas Ranger 4x4 will average 25 MPG hwy. We'll see...
Perhaps, but my point was that once you "overland" it by bigger, more agressive tires, lift it, and weigh it down with gear it's likely to do just as well, if not worse than a full size.

The biggest benefit, however, is trail size. We've been on some trails that got narrow (black gap road in Big Bend for example), and having a full size rig is a minus, not a plus.

Having a 36 gallon gas tank, however, is a massive plus if you've ever been to Big Bend.

But back to your point. I hope you're right. I was downright disappointed by the mid-size MPG**. I hope Ranger does better.

Diesel ZR2 might be the best of both worlds at the moment, just not a Chevy guy.

**Mid size MPG does indeed matter (for all those who say it's a truck, MPG doesn't matter), because it increases cruising range.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
I see what you are saying, I was under the impression that the Ranger was going to be sitting at a good height and I also thought would have 33" high tires on FX4 models. With just a 2" leveling kit and LT275/65 20s Firestone Wilderness M/T we are averaging 13mpg with no added weight with a 5.0 F150 and less than that when loaded. I would hope the Ranger would get no less than 20 mpg loaded...I any case, I don't think 2.3l EB will be the only engine choice for long.

Reactions: Jason Jackson

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
no less than 20 mpg loaded...I any case, I don't think 2.3l EB will be the only engine choice for long.
A Diesel Ranger would be awesome.

Other than the price premium for it, a Diesel Ranger will likely accomplish all of that, just like the ZR2 has done for the Colorado. Tons of torque, good MPG, factory ready to have some fun. Not to mention good tires from factory (Duratracs for ZR2, no doubt KO2 for Ford). DUAL LOCKERS! Likely Ranger will only have rear, but not a problem, I'm done some stupid stuff with a rear only, it's not a hindrance most of the time.

Not to mention the Bronco :)

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
I wish Ford would reveal the Bronco already! Both the Ranger and the Bronco are going to be a big hit. I like the competition that is bringing more to the table for the customers.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I love the idea of a Raptor Ranger. But in all honestly I feel like a well optioned FX4 package would be what I gravitated towards. It will be cheaper and should have the rear locker. Thats enough for me.

But I am really holding out for the Bronco. If the rumors are true that it will have a solid front axle, I would be excited to try and be an early owner.

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

I dunno. The Colorado diesel runs a 10s 0-60, and can't even hit 80 at a quarter mile (17s+). I'm not saying it has to be a race truck but I personally can't drive a truck that's not fun to drive. Diesels just aren't fast, anything with a "Raptor" badge should be fast across the desert and they will be better off with a petrol Ecoboost vs diesel. Just my opinion though, I know most love diesels for whatever reason even though the math doesn't work out (you pay such a premium and routine maintenance is much higher) and CAFE laws makes diesels much less productive and less reliable than the older "real" diesels.

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
I have a feeling if the Raptor does come to the U.S. it will have at minimum the 2.7l EB. Dont forget the 3.5l EB does come in the Explorer, I can't imagine the Ranger engine bay is any smaller. I would like to see the FX4 Level II make its way back with a more rock/trail hillside/mountain side focus as apposed to the high speed focus of the Raptor.

Reactions: jscusmcvet

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
I agree with you Mogwai. I sold my last truck because it was tedious to drive. It performed well off road and looked plenty mean, but I make TX > TN and back commutes and it was rough, small, and gutless. Looked good tho....

For a daily, and let's be honest, most of us can only afford 1 vehicle per adult, I'd prefer less capable off road and more creature comforts for my 99% pavement time.

When I feel like wheeling nowdays I just go with friends and ride/spot. A lot less stuff breaks for me like that :)

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

let's be honest, most of us can only afford 1 vehicle per adult, I'd prefer less capable off road and more creature comforts for my 99% pavement time.
I was always in that mindset but I started thinking about how much I spend on cars/upgrades on top of the payments and realized I could totally have dedicated rig. Now I have best of both worlds. Got a bastard Jeep, a solid axle WJ Grand Cherokee that is for adventures and my Audi A3 is for comfort and economy.

I wonder how long it will take for Ford to announce the US Ranger Raptor after the launch of the Ranger. I'm ready for this segment to heat up. Nissan should be making moves with the Ranger before too long.

I actually saw a couple of Rangers at a rest stop on my way back from Overland Expo West . Probably the worst photos I have ever taken but my phone was zoomed in a lot and bouncing around

20180520_170420.jpg 20180520_170429.jpg

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
Whoa, the tiedowns outside the bed. I always actually loved this item, needs to be on more trucks!