Launch Member

Contributor II

Dalton, NE, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Eckhardt
Member #

I'm thinking about going on the Black Hills trip with you guys. I'm a super novice and this would be my first trip. Basically I have a reliable lifted Suburban with off road tires, some camping gear, and basic hand tools and that's about it (No recovery stuff or communications except cell phone). I was curious if this is a good opportunity for me. I'm in Sidney, Ne so about a 5 hour drive up. I have a friend with a Hummer that might be interested in going also. I'd be bringing a couple of my kids. Checking to see if this is a good opportunity to go with some experienced guys. Let me know your thoughts.
Steve

Nathan Z

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Volga SD
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Zacharias
Member #

I\'m thinking about going on the Black Hills trip with you guys. I\'m a super novice and this would be my first trip. Basically I have a reliable lifted Suburban with off road tires, some camping gear, and basic hand tools and that\'s about it (No recovery stuff or communications except cell phone). I was curious if this is a good opportunity for me. I\'m in Sidney, Ne so about a 5 hour drive up. I have a friend with a Hummer that might be interested in going also. I\'d be bringing a couple of my kids. Checking to see if this is a good opportunity to go with some experienced guys. Let me know your thoughts.
Steve
Steve, I think this would be a great opportunity for you, my brother brought his stock GMC 1500 on dura tracs on our last trip and did ok (only one big scratch ). We have a great kid friendly group and we would be happy to help you with recovery ECT if necessary. I think we'll probably be using a mix of CB radios and cheap walkie talkies, cell phones basically don't work out there. We generally try to keep our rigs in one piece, because we have to drive them home, we do lots of exploring and stuff like that. Scratches from branches on narrow trails are pretty common but as long as you are smart and use a spotter if things get rough you should avoid damage.

Eckroll

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dalton, NE, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Eckhardt
Member #

Thanks Nathan! Sounds like what I'm looking for. I might have a previous engagement my wife reminded me about. I should know for sure this week.

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

I would like to join you guys down there been looking forward to events in this area. how many people have confirmed do you have going?

Nathan Z

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Volga SD
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Zacharias
Member #

I would like to join you guys down there been looking forward to events in this area. how many people have confirmed do you have going?
I believe we have three rigs and around 12 people from eastern SD going for sure.

Nathan Z

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Volga SD
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Zacharias
Member #

Well, That should be alot of fun then! Just to confirm are we camping in lead, or staying in hotels?
We plan to camp at a cabin so some with be in tents but we will all have access to the bathrooms and kitchen ECT. You can camp with us or do a hotel in Lead either one. My phone # is 605-651-2748, you can text me about any questions.

jeepin.cherokee

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Minot, North Dakota
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Malmrose
Member #

Service Branch
US Air Force
Hi all. Ken notified me about this trip and I should be able to make it as well. I would be traveling down in my 99xj along with Ken. Ive never done this type of offroading with a group so you could call me a beginner.

dkr83

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fort Wayne, IN
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Rosselli
Family trip planned from Indiana to Moab, and before our final overland trip on the Rimrocker Trail from Montrose, CO to Moab we are stopping for a couple days in the Badlands. Any chance you'll post your GPS coordinates after the trip that we may check out?

Nathan Z

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Volga SD
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Zacharias
Member #

Family trip planned from Indiana to Moab, and before our final overland trip on the Rimrocker Trail from Montrose, CO to Moab we are stopping for a couple days in the Badlands. Any chance you\'ll post your GPS coordinates after the trip that we may check out?
Check out "Sheep mountain table" near Scenic SD, it's got some amazing views.

Nathan Z

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Volga SD
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Zacharias
Member #

Just so everyone is aware, the black hills is having a lot of rain and flooding so the trails and forest service roads are closed. We will just have to play it by ear, and possibly do some traveling to find places. We will probably make plans day by day but we'll still be based out of Lead.

Sand Squid

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Manny
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

UPDATE:

Hi OB family!

We are keeping an eye on the weather. The Rally still on and we will start Friday 30MAY in the morning until Monday. We know some roads and trails are currently closed but we still have options in the area.

It will be a great opportunity to meet new members and family. If you have questions, please give me a call (605) 350-2919.

Thanks

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

UPDATE:

Hi OB family!

We are keeping an eye on the weather. The Rally still on and we will start Friday 30MAY in the morning until Monday. We know some roads and trails are currently closed but we still have options in the area.

It will be a great opportunity to meet new members and family. If you have questions, please give me a call (605) 350-2919.

Thanks
Hey, You get your truck figured out?