2018 Wrangler JL Overland Built

• HTML tutorial

Laerte de Pontes

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brasil
Member #

I am waiting for the new Wrangler JL with Diesel engine to be released to start a built for an overland trip starting in United States, ship it to Europe to cross from England to the Alps in Switzerland and Italy, then ship it to Asia for an Australian/ New Zeland trip and finish it in the Middle East: Dubai/ Oman/ Jordan and Saudi Arabia. I just wanted to know if anybody has any experience with the legal specifications in Europe, in terms of tire sizes, vehicle height etc.

If you guys have any information to share, I would appreciate. This is a trip that will take 2 years to be finished and tha planning is long. The built will be essencial and I have few companies in US to design parts of what will be needed for off grid/ long trip case.

Thanks, Laerte.

Reactions: Westsroadshow

Josey Wales

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

El Paso, TX, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Davey
Member #

Lived in Europe for 3 years and driven my JK from Estonia all the way down to the southern edge of Italy.
Best advice is keep it at least decently roadworthy. Always by the vignettes at the borders (essentially a one stop toll for the country). And watch for speed cameras. A lot of countries are littered with speed traps (Estonia, Austria, Italy)
Vehicle height isn’t a huge issue. If you lift it more than two inches you won’t be able to get it into most garages so there’s that to consider. Also don’t use any wheel spacers or slim down the fenders. German police will ticket you if your tires/wheels extend past the “body” of the vehicle.

Sorry if that was kind of jumbled but I’ve put about 50,000 European miles on my JK and checked off every country here with it so please let me know if you need anything!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Laerte de Pontes

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Brasil
Member #

Hi Josey,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am doing a lot of research as I am planning to ship this car from US, to Europe, Asia and then Middle East. I just don't want to get into unexpected problems... I really appreciate your message, great help.

All the best,

Laerte