Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Murray
Last Name
Kolz
Member #

Hey everyone been watching these forums for a while and decided that it was finally time I posted a build thread of my 2018 Tacoma. I bought my Tacoma on April 12, 2018 with the intention to get out and explore the beautiful country we live in. Most all of the modifications I have put on and plan to put on have been selected with function fallowed by form (why can’t it look as good as it performers. Over the first year and a half I collected most of the parts I was planning on putting on the truck when I could get a deal on them, but this meant that I had parts that couldn’t go on the truck right away and ended up sitting in my garage for over a year.

When the COVID19 stuff hit March and my company put us on leave for 4 weeks I decided it was finally time to get around to installing everything I had sitting around. With the help of a coworker I trusted to help me, we installed the Icon suspension. I had IMO the best shop in Denver mount the tires and do the BMC and mount the tires and wheels for me. This is only the start of the build and there many more things in the works.

If you like the rig you can follow my Instagram @Colo.taco

Here are some pictures from when I got it to where it is today:
8A2399D4-69C9-46A6-A9E9-22B4041B9199.jpeg
31F0D984-1ECA-46A3-BCA6-B15D0DE14FAA.jpeg
F50E7F8F-FA02-4DF4-BB71-FEB1D7211981.jpeg
12A4D784-7223-473B-91B8-FB6BE807744E.jpeg

Truck:
2018 TRD OR DCSB 4x4

Suspension: 16-UP 0-2.75" STAGE 6 SUSPENSION SYSTEM W BILLET UCA (ICON STAGE 6 TACOMA)

ICON 05-UP TACOMA EXT TRAVEL 2.5 VS RR CDCV COILOVER (58735C)
ICON 05-UP TACOMA BILLET UCA WITH DELTA JOINT (58550DJ)
ICON 05-UP TACOMA 0-1.5" REAR 2.5 VS RR CDCV PAIR (57805CP)
ICON 96-UP TACOMA/00-06 TUNDRTruck:
2018 TRD OR DCSB 4x4

Suspension: 16-UP 0-2.75" STAGE 6 SUSPENSION SYSTEM W BILLET UCA (ICON STAGE 6 TACOMA)
ICON 05-UP TACOMA EXT TRAVEL 2.5 VS RR CDCV COILOVER (58735C)
ICON 05-UP TACOMA BILLET UCA WITH DELTA JOINT (58550DJ)
ICON 05-UP TACOMA 0-1.5" REAR 2.5 VS RR CDCV PAIR (57805CP)
ICON 96-UP TACOMA/00-06 TUNDRA 1.5" ADD-A-LEAF KIT (51100)

Wheels and Tires:

Rotiform SIX-OR matte black
BFG KM3 in 285/70 R17

Armor:

• C4Fab TACOMA FRONT LO-PRO WINCH BUMPER (C4 Lo-Pro Bumper)
  • C4Fab TACOMA ROCK SLIDERS (C4 Rock Sliders)

Lighting:

• Baja DesignsSquadron Sport Fog Lights (Driving/Combo) Amber
  • Rigid D-SS-Series Ditch Lights on CBI 3rd Gen Tacoma Ditch Light Brackets
  • Baja Designs 20" S8 (Driving/Combo) Amber - Lo-Pro Bumper
  • Switchpros SP-9100 mounted with PowerTrays under hood and SDHQ Dash Panel
Recovery:

• Smittybilt X20 10K with Synthetic Rope
  • Factor55 Fairlead
  • Factor55 Prolink
  • Gator Jaw Synthetic Soft Shackles (2)
Misc:

• @MESOChrome Delete
  • TRD Pro Grill
  • C4Fab TACOMA MID HEIGHT BED RACK (C4Fab Mid Hight Bed Rack)
  • Free Spirit Recreation - FSR Roof Top Tent
  • Goalzero Yeti 500 with Boulder 50

Future Mods:
UpTOP Overland Roof Rack
UpTOP Overland Bed Rack
Onboard Air
and a lot more!

It’s a work in progress and there’s a lot more I want to do. Lots more to come and thanks for following along.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Looks great! May I ask did you have to do anything extra beyond the lift to fit those tires?

Murray.kolz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Murray
Last Name
Kolz
Member #

Thanks man! I did have to do a little to fit. I had a local shop the the body mount chop and along with that they did a bit of plastic trimming and a few parts of the plastic had to be heated and bent a bit bout it’s mostly all still there. They fit at full stuff too so it’s not bad.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Awesome! I’m looking to go that route in a year or 2. Going to go skinny first until I can afford some new wheels.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Hey I have a question. If you had to pick between a lift, sliders or full skids which would you put on your truck first? I’m kinda in that point at the moment and I’m juggling between the 3.

Murray.kolz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Murray
Last Name
Kolz
Member #

Well the first thing I would ask is what you plan on doing. I fully specked out my build before I ever bought one peace. If you want to get right out and hit the trails the stock Tacoma can really get you a lot of places. So in that case sliders are great to protect yourself. I also didn’t want to put on too much weight tell I had the suspension to handle the extra weight. If your not going to hit hard trails then a lift and tires are a great option to get you to a few more places that you might not make it with stock. Skids are great to protect yourself. If you want to get right out I would go with skids though because with anything you want to protect the important parts under your rig! What skids sliders and suspension are you looking at?

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Well the first thing I would ask is what you plan on doing. I fully specked out my build before I ever bought one peace. If you want to get right out and hit the trails the stock Tacoma can really get you a lot of places. So in that case sliders are great to protect yourself. I also didn’t want to put on too much weight tell I had the suspension to handle the extra weight. If your not going to hit hard trails then a lift and tires are a great option to get you to a few more places that you might not make it with stock. Skids are great to protect yourself. If you want to get right out I would go with skids though because with anything you want to protect the important parts under your rig! What skids sliders and suspension are you looking at?
So yes I’ve specked out everything so far as well. The only thing is the skids, sliders and lift are all next but I’ve not decided upon an order. I’ve got a loose date scheduled for the lift in mid-November. But I have the money for CBI full skids or Victory 4x4 sliders right now. So that’s why I brought up the question.

My whole build plan is here but it’s not final.

Attachments

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
And to answer your question about my plans. I just finished a trip to Land Between the Lakes and the Tacoma had no issues. And we got into some of the worst trails there. Thankfully everything out here near me that I’ve looked into is fairly tame compared to the majority of things I plan to do out west. So I could potentially get away without the armor for now but the piece of mind is quite nice.

Murray.kolz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Murray
Last Name
Kolz
Member #

Damn solid list there man looks great. I’m all for the CBI skids that the plan of my build too also for the pro grill take a look at running 4 tacos they are great guys and have good prices.

Murray.kolz

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Murray
Last Name
Kolz
Member #

Yeah some of the trails out here in CO can get sketchy fast without notice so protecting your truck is always a good idea. But I rolled everywhere for over a year with just a stock truck

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Yeah some of the trails out here in CO can get sketchy fast without notice so protecting your truck is always a good idea. But I rolled everywhere for over a year with just a stock truck
Awesome! Then I think I'm gonna focus on the lift and rear springs then. The sag in the rear is driving me nuts when fully loaded for trips.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Nice mods. Similar Tacoma but a 2017. First install was a pair of RCI sliders just in time for my first trip to the Moab AO (my TJ was Code 3 after local shop shenanigans, eventually repaired by myself). Stock truck handled the easier trails without issue. The sliders did pay for themselves when the rear tires slid off a rock and the rear part of the slider prevented the pax side from smacking into a rock (truck had less than 10k on the odometer).