Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

So I bought a 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and I’m coming from a 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE. I made the switch mainly for reliability. So building an overlanding rig all over again!

As of right now I am planning on getting (in order)

Front Runner Slimline II Full Roof Rack
Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 2 lift kit
BFG KO2 tires in 285/70/R17
CBI Off-road Sliders

I already have a CVT RTT, Maxtrax, NOCO battery jumper, snatch straps, ARB portable 12v air compressor.

This is my LR3 that I still have

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Nice 4Runner. I really like the new KO2s, mine are stock size on the TRD wheels, they’ve been great.

Funny you mention the reliability, that’s why I sold my Jeep and got the 4R.

I went with the short slimline rack and am very happy with it, I’m sure you’ll love the full rack. I thought long and hard whether to go with the full rack, I don’t think you can go wrong.

I’ve ordered a gobi ladder for it as well to make loading up a little easier.

Reactions: TN_4Runner

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

I love my Land Rover but it’s just a pain in he ass to try and find people that’ll work on it. It’s either a 30 minutes drive and get charged a lot or a 1.5hr drive to save some money. It’s a beast off road and I will miss the center and rear locking diffs but I will not miss the air suspension.

I’ve actually been looking at the TRD wheels. They look really nice and I’d imagine they would be cheaper than aftermarket ones?

I love Front Runner and am excited to get the new rack (not excited to drill into the truck)

I just ordered a GOBI Ladder a day ago. Was the install really simple? Solid build quality? I’d love to see some pictures of your setup if you’ll post them!

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I’m not sure if the TRD wheels are cheaper, I got a decent deal on them from the dealer when I bought the 4Runner. I do like them a lot though, nice offset and really nice quality. I’d definitely recommend them, but don’t have experience with any after market wheels to compare to.

I had a frontrunner over the bed on my Titan and was super happy with it, so when I sold the truck I decided I’d get the same rack for the 4 runner. Hauled a few thing since on it and am happy with it. The Strachit straps are awesome, I love the carabiner vs the hooks and really secured the pack boxes well. I mounted eye bolts on the rack for tie down points and am happy with it.

After doing the install of the rack on mine, I don’t think I would worry too much about the drilling. The factory mounts aren’t anything fancy, so as long as you take your time you’ll probably be fine. I put a lot of silicone under the spacers and around the bolt holes on the factory mounts. It was more open to the elements than I’d expected, so drilling doesn’t seem as extreme.

I’m expecting the gobi ladder in the next couple weeks, so will definitely post some pics.

I’ll grab some pictures of the wheels, rack etc as well

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

I’m not sure if the TRD wheels are cheaper, I got a decent deal on them from the dealer when I bought the 4Runner. I do like them a lot though, nice offset and really nice quality. I’d definitely recommend them, but don’t have experience with any after market wheels to compare to.

I had a frontrunner over the bed on my Titan and was super happy with it, so when I sold the truck I decided I’d get the same rack for the 4 runner. Hauled a few thing since on it and am happy with it. The Strachit straps are awesome, I love the carabiner vs the hooks and really secured the pack boxes well. I mounted eye bolts on the rack for tie down points and am happy with it.

After doing the install of the rack on mine, I don’t think I would worry too much about the drilling. The factory mounts aren’t anything fancy, so as long as you take your time you’ll probably be fine. I put a lot of silicone under the spacers and around the bolt holes on the factory mounts. It was more open to the elements than I’d expected, so drilling doesn’t seem as extreme.

I’m expecting the gobi ladder in the next couple weeks, so will definitely post some pics.

Awesome! That’s good to know about the silicone and I’ll make sure that gets done. I just ordered the Gobi rack on the 29th so I’ll be waiting the 4-6 weeks. Next will be the roof rack from front Runner. It’ll be a slow going build. It’s nice seeing and hearing what other people are doing. [emoji869][emoji869][emoji869]

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

Nice mods.... are you going to add a bumper or keep it stock?

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

So, I’m negligent in my updating! The ladder is great, small touch point at full open on the rear door. So I moved the rack forward a bit (within the “play” of the mounts, and it all clears now. For cost, convenience, I would definitely grab the ladder with the rack. Loaded up a couple pack boxes and some construction gear and it was great being able to get up on top to secure the load.

Reactions: TN_4Runner