graybaker

Rank III

Advocate I

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Gray
Last Name
Baker
Hey all, I thought it would be fun to document the progress of my blossoming overlanding Forester 2.5i.

My first task was building a bed for the back of the car to sleep in. It's comprised of two pieces that connect with bolts but can stack in my trunk if I need to carry passengers in the back seat. I am considering removing my backseats, however, to allow my 6'1 self more head space.
IMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0586.JPG

Now, I'm waiting on a shipment of Toyo Open Country A/T3s and Black Rhino Boxers 17"s to come in, should be installed next week!
Updates to follow! -2/19/21

Attachments

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

I’m on Anderson Design & Fab (ADF). Solid build, made in the states out of Oregon, and reasonably priced for the quality. If you can spring for it check out 4x4 Ironman. Their long travel off-road suspension is killer, so I’ve been told. With all the weight you’re riding around with I’d recommend you look into upgrading your springs. King Springs are proven (I’m impressed with mine) and the aforementioned Ironman setup also comes with heavy duty springs.

graybaker

Rank III

Advocate I

San Francisco, California, United States
First Name
Gray
Last Name
Baker
Second trip is in the books! 15 days, 7 National Parks, 4 states, 2 people, 1 cat! It really helped me work out the kinks in the build so far in terms of logistics, comfort, and organization. I think I'm going to build a new, lower sleeping platform so I can actually lift my head. I also want a roof rack instead of the box in hopes it will be a liiiittle more fuel efficient but let me know if that's foolish.

I also made an awning out of a PVC pipe, a 1"x2" and a tarp. It didn't work great in high winds but I don't have a real awning to compare it to. Might swap the heavy duty tarp with a tent footprint for weight and durability. The next rig upgrade is going to be a window tint for privacy and then a 1.5-2" lift.

IMG_8687.JPGRemoteMediaFile_6684751_0_2021_03_14_16_20_34.JPGIMG_0800.JPGIMG_0802.JPGRemoteMediaFile_6684773_0_2021_03_17_11_28_00.JPG

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

dombardales

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Beach
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Bardales
I'm thinking about getting a foz, but have 1 concern: the approach angle. Not sure what kind of roads/trails you've been on so far, but any major issues with scraping due to the relatively large overhang?