Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
there is the option of a single tire trailer with a 2 point hitch..... keep it aluminium and very light.
I had one like this behind my TA in the 1970s.... but way smaller.

View attachment 116434

or, just to get the imagination rolling..

View attachment 116435
Billybob, where did you find the info on the one wheel trailer. I was looking for info about a week ago for one of the forums, and couldn't come up with anything.

WolfWings

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oakview, MO, USA
First Name
Wolf
Last Name
Member #

Did some measurements of the idea of the 'exo cage' style roof rack based on the fender and rear trunk anchor points; would end up being a bit over 4'x5' in size; Could fit a 2x2 grid of the 24-gallon action packers lid-down easily with room to spare, so I think I'll aim for a cargo basket sized for that with a bar in between the front/back pair and hooks sized to drop through the existing padlock holes on the handles to lock things in place. If not using bins the hooks will make good tie-down points.

Now... to track down someone in the KC area that can fabricate that. XD

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Did some measurements of the idea of the 'exo cage' style roof rack based on the fender and rear trunk anchor points; would end up being a bit over 4'x5' in size; Could fit a 2x2 grid of the 24-gallon action packers lid-down easily with room to spare, so I think I'll aim for a cargo basket sized for that with a bar in between the front/back pair and hooks sized to drop through the existing padlock holes on the handles to lock things in place. If not using bins the hooks will make good tie-down points.

Now... to track down someone in the KC area that can fabricate that. XD
Nice, I talked to someone in my area about finding fabricators to do obscure jobs at a local Overland Bound event this weekend (he is wanting bumper armor for a Mercedes ML320). Here are my ideas for finding someone who will do some good quality work:

Suggestion 1: If you have a dirt track or an amateur drag strip near where you live - head out on a Saturday race night and walk around the pit area between heats or pre-race and talk to some folk. A lot of those guys are full time mechanics that build their race cars in their free time. They will also have a lot of experience with building roll cages. Essentially building a roll cage on the outside of a car should be super easy for them. Since they probably don't do as much custom fabricating in their day-to-day they will probably be able to squeeze it in with less of a lead time and at a more reasonable price. It will help them to keep on racing.

Suggestion 2: Hot Rod shops, classic car restorations, custom motorcycle shops. These shops will be pretty good at pipe bending and metal fab. The classic car guys will have done work to build parts that they can't find anymore. A hot rod shop that is worth it's salt has built a rat rod or two and will be able to make something work. A good custom motorcycle shop will have done motorcycle frame work. The downside of these options are it will probably take them longer to work it into their schedule and will likely cost more.

Suggestion 3: Machine shops or specific custom metal fabricators. A lot of these guys are going to be sheet metal guys who do a lot of stuff like industrial machine installation and repair. The shops around me do a lot of stuff like repair tractor parts or farm implements. You can always give it a shot as it is the most obvious option - but you will probably have to try a bunch of different shops to find one that is willing to do something outside of their typical MO.

Suggestion 4: See if you can get in touch with a local trade school that has a metal program. Probably will be your cheapest option. If you can find an instructor who hasn't had the life sucked out of him yet (teaching will do that) - they might be able to work it into their program.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Nice, I talked to someone in my area about finding fabricators to do obscure jobs at a local Overland Bound event this weekend (he is wanting bumper armor for a Mercedes ML320). Here are my ideas for finding someone who will do some good quality work:

Suggestion 1: If you have a dirt track or an amateur drag strip near where you live - head out on a Saturday race night and walk around the pit area between heats or pre-race and talk to some folk. A lot of those guys are full time mechanics that build their race cars in their free time. They will also have a lot of experience with building roll cages. Essentially building a roll cage on the outside of a car should be super easy for them. Since they probably don't do as much custom fabricating in their day-to-day they will probably be able to squeeze it in with less of a lead time and at a more reasonable price. It will help them to keep on racing.

Suggestion 2: Hot Rod shops, classic car restorations, custom motorcycle shops. These shops will be pretty good at pipe bending and metal fab. The classic car guys will have done work to build parts that they can't find anymore. A hot rod shop that is worth it's salt has built a rat rod or two and will be able to make something work. A good custom motorcycle shop will have done motorcycle frame work. The downside of these options are it will probably take them longer to work it into their schedule and will likely cost more.

Suggestion 3: Machine shops or specific custom metal fabricators. A lot of these guys are going to be sheet metal guys who do a lot of stuff like industrial machine installation and repair. The shops around me do a lot of stuff like repair tractor parts or farm implements. You can always give it a shot as it is the most obvious option - but you will probably have to try a bunch of different shops to find one that is willing to do something outside of their typical MO.

Suggestion 4: See if you can get in touch with a local trade school that has a metal program. Probably will be your cheapest option. If you can find an instructor who hasn't had the life sucked out of him yet (teaching will do that) - they might be able to work it into their program.
ALL VERY GOOD SUGGESTIONS. The yellow pages also list Fabricators under Welding.

Reactions: Sasquatch SC