Rank VI

Influencer I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Roaming
Last Name
Lost
Member #

Kinda of a tech nerd. I’m curious what you guys use when you’re on trips and what not.

I use kinda the usual suspects:
Yelp
Google maps
Gaia GPS ( still getting use to this one )
Airbnb / hotels tonight ( on other trips )

What are you guys using?

danrhiggins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, co
Member #

My two favorites are Earthmate (I have an inReach/Garmin GPS/satellite messaging unit) and for road trips, inRoute.

Earthmate is great because you can download pretty much the whole Western US to use offline. Then it changes the amount of detail as you zoom in. Much easier to read than Gaia. I upload GPX files from Funtreks and elsewhere, save favorite "way points" (really just landmarks or points of interest) such as mountains, photo spots, etc. I use it on my iPhone and iPad.

inRoute is like Google Maps on steroids. Lots of functionality. Too much to list here. But for a couple of examples - easy addition of plenty of waypoints including layovers (hours to days) at each waypoint. Charts that show weather (precip, wind, temp), elevation and even "curviness" along your route based on either distance or time traveled. But, like Google Maps, it needs to have a data connection.

Cummins_Powered

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Gaia for topo maps and GPS tracking.
Torque to monitor vehicle parameters (coolant temp, intake temp, trans temp)
Fuelly for tracking gas usage and price (plus other routine service)
iOverlander is a new one i am trying out. Has campsites and such, looks like it will be useful.

roaminglost

Rank VI

Influencer I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Roaming
Last Name
Lost
Member #

Gaia for topo maps and GPS tracking.
Torque to monitor vehicle parameters (coolant temp, intake temp, trans temp)
Fuelly for tracking gas usage and price (plus other routine service)
iOverlander is a new one i am trying out. Has campsites and such, looks like it will be useful.
ah ive heard of the iOverland app before I gotta look into that more.