Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Is there anyone coming from the Albany, New York location or passing by? I plan on leaving around 4am Wedneday heading to Wilkes Barre Walmart, hopefully meet up with everyone else.
Awesome, we'll see you there! You're sort of down the middle when it comes to the routes I think the other people meeting us will be taking. I'd imagine the other people will be taking 81 and 84. We'll have a nice little group when you get here though.

@Hank Outdoors
@Yota 4X4
@MolangiNaeda
@tobyjefe

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Is there anyone coming from the Albany, New York location or passing by? I plan on leaving around 4am Wedneday heading to Wilkes Barre Walmart, hopefully meet up with everyone else.
I am leaving from Syracuse. Are you taking the thruway to 81s or taking a more direct route?

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

tobyjefe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tobin
Member #

From the North - Wed.7th
My wife and I are leaving NY (along with @Yota 4X4 ) early Wed. morning and meeting up with @Wawa Skittletits in Scranton PA then heading south to Flagpole Knob VA for camp and to hit a bit of dirt. Then heading the rest of the way Thurs.

@tobyjefe are you convoying with us too? Anyone else from the Northeast that you know of?

See you all there!!!
not sure when my girlfriend and i will be leaving boston area but plan to be in Scranton early Wednesday morning and possibly coming down Tuesday to make it an easier drive. then will be traveling with the group to Flagpole Knob VA to camp.

James Hacknauer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Niskayuna, ny
Member #

My route is predicated on when I leave. If I get out of the house at 4am then 81 is the route. Not direct by more enjoyable. If I leave later then a direct route. I do plan on leaving at 4am and with luck I will run into others....I will be monitoring channel 16. Safe travels!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Just in case someone I haven’t already communicated with is planning on meeting us in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest, I changed the camp location for Wednesday night in the first post.

We have a nice group heading down but if anyone else is planning on meeting us in Pennsylvania or Virginia please let me know.

Trailspin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Hello everyone! Even though Expo is still a couple months away there's already been a lot of discussion about who's leaving when and from where so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get this thread started. Ultimately the goal is to have as many of us rolling into Expo together so that we can camp together. This thread will be focused on those of us planning to arrive on Thursday but I'd gladly add a Friday folks variant.

As it stands there are two planned routes coming down from the northeast/mid atlantic. Please know that things can change slightly this far out but here are those plans thus far. If you have different plans please discuss it with me in DM and I'll add it to the thread.

We will be using the OB comm channels for the caravans and from the Rally Point.

CB 16
GMRS 15

Northeast Caravan

My plans for this caravan are to turn the drive down I-81 into a two day thing to include some trail riding and camping in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. If you want to meet up at these places or along the way please mention it so that we know to expect you and can plan accordingly.

Wednesday 8AM.. meet at the Walmart in Wilkes Barre (2150 Wilkes Barre Township Blvd, Wilkes-Barre Township, PA 18702)

Wednesday afternoon.. hit a bunch of trails in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest

Wednesday night.. camp next to Puffenbarger Pond in Virginia (Lat: 38.51001 Lon: -79.18415)

Thursday 3PM.. meet at Papa's and Beer Mexican Restaurant (1000 Brevard Rd, Asheville, NC 28806)

Mid-Atlantic Caravan

The plans for this caravan are to leave the Alexandria/Arlington area and will be headed up by @NovaBound and @sabjku. Their route will be I-95 I-85 I-40.

Thursday 630AM.. meeting spot TBD

Thursday 3PM.. meet at Papa's and Beer Mexican Restaurant (1000 Brevard Rd, Asheville, NC 28806)

Papa's and Beer (http://www.papasandbeerasheville.net/) is the meeting point for everyone regardless of where you're coming from. The plan is to leave the restaurant by 4PM to arrive at Expo before we will no longer be able to camp at 6PM. So who's making the trip?!

**** Rally Point ****

I set up a rally point for people coming from any direction. If you plan to caravan or simply meet us at Papa's and Beer, please follow the link and confirm your intentions.

https://www.overlandbound.com/event/2018-expo-east-caravan-meeting-point/

@Hank Outdoors @Jeepsies @JRElaxED @dziner @Cpol @Yota 4X4 @Ian McAdorey @WE ROME @MolangiNaeda
Am hoping to make it! This is TeamHuntAdventure. We might plan on leaving from Nashville on Wed afternoon, camping close that night. is anyone camping close on wed pm?

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hello everyone! Even though Expo is still a couple months away there's already been a lot of discussion about who's leaving when and from where so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get this thread started. Ultimately the goal is to have as many of us rolling into Expo together so that we can camp together. This thread will be focused on those of us planning to arrive on Thursday but I'd gladly add a Friday folks variant.

As it stands there are two planned routes coming down from the northeast/mid atlantic. Please know that things can change slightly this far out but here are those plans thus far. If you have different plans please discuss it with me in DM and I'll add it to the thread.

We will be using the OB comm channels for the caravans and from the Rally Point.

CB 16
GMRS 15

Northeast Caravan

My plans for this caravan are to turn the drive down I-81 into a two day thing to include some trail riding and camping in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. If you want to meet up at these places or along the way please mention it so that we know to expect you and can plan accordingly.

Wednesday 8AM.. meet at the Walmart in Wilkes Barre (2150 Wilkes Barre Township Blvd, Wilkes-Barre Township, PA 18702)

Wednesday afternoon.. hit a bunch of trails in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest

Wednesday night.. camp next to Puffenbarger Pond in Virginia (Lat: 38.51001 Lon: -79.18415)

Papa's and Beer (http://www.papasandbeerasheville.net/) is the meeting point for everyone regardless of where you're coming from. The plan is to leave the restaurant by 4PM to arrive at Expo before we will no longer be able to camp at 6PM. So who's making the trip?!

**** Rally Point ****

I set up a rally point for people coming from any direction. If you plan to caravan or simply meet us at Papa's and Beer, please follow the link and confirm your intentions.

https://www.overlandbound.com/event/2018-expo-east-caravan-meeting-point/

@Hank Outdoors @Jeepsies @JRElaxED @dziner @Cpol @Yota 4X4 @Ian McAdorey @WE ROME @MolangiNaeda
@Yota 4X4

w2wlds

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairfield, IA, USA
First Name
RK
Last Name
C
Member #

Indeed. Been going since they started even before the Biltmore. If this is your first one, you might feel overwhelmed with the vendors. Soooooo much to buy, soooooo little money yet some great discounts. Camping is great and meeting new people from all over, with a common love, appreciation for exploration, is awesome. And the classes are great, if you choose them, if you are looking to become more educated on all things offroad and travel. At the end of the day, you get out of it what you put into it. You don't need to do overland experience or buy a bunch of shit to have an awesome time!!! Its about the attitude and mindset.

Cheers
Outwardbound,

Newbie here so I would appreciate some advice for attending Expo East.

When does the line start at the gate or the campsite?
How close is the campsite to the vendor areas and main common area?
I assume bicycles are allowed?
How many folks go to this event?
Am I going to get any sleep? :)

thanks in advance

Sharkbait4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA, USA
First Name
Zack
Last Name
Campion
Member #

Hi everyone. I'm new to overlanding and am planning to drive to Expo East from Richmond, VA. Right now I'm not sure if I will be there on Thurs or Friday, but I will be there. I'm really looking forward to it and yes @outwardbound , I am overwhelmed!
i will be coming up from the Norfolk area thursday sometime let me know if you want to meet up outside of Richmond.

Reactions: outwardbound

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Outwardbound,

Newbie here so I would appreciate some advice for attending Expo East.

When does the line start at the gate or the campsite?
How close is the campsite to the vendor areas and main common area?
I assume bicycles are allowed?
How many folks go to this event?
Am I going to get any sleep? :)

thanks in advance
I have actually not going this year. And I've never been to the venue this year as it is the first time they're holding it in VA. Usually though, there will be an entrance to get into the entire event and it's all self contained, so yes, the line will likely be at the gate wherever people check in. Bicycles are allowed. There will be hundreds and maybe a few thousand people at the event between the campers and day visitors.

And for yourast question, I've never gotten good sleep. In spite of quiet hours, they are not enforced.

Reactions: dziner

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Ok, well... nothing went as planned, leaving very much later than I wanted to. Headed down, in about an hour, so I will see you all down there tomorrow. Early AM.

Taking 91-84-81 for the main route down. Expect to be in Arrington around 2 am... sigh.