VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys I have 2018 Chevy silverado z71 4x4 and I'm starting a build. I've noticed with a lot of research that the aftermarket for this truck in overlanding equipment is really lacking. So I'm going to post up my truck and what I've done so far and what I add in the future but if there's other silverado owners on here that would like to post there trucks on this thread with ideas and info that would be great to.

So far I've got my suspension and wheels and tires done. I went with Fox racing 2.5 remote resi coilovers in the front with cognito motorsports upper control arms and fox 2.0 in the rears. It leveled the truck and I went with method NV bronze wheels in a 17 with Nitto ridge grapplers in a 295-70-70 size that comes out a little taller than a 33.
Now I'm looking at ideas for bed racks or bed bars to mount a rtt. I've contacted front runner and they make a bed bar system I could use just wondering if anyone has used anything else.Resized_PIC_20180531_233521963_7363.jpeg Resized_PIC_20180531_233436155_2098.jpeg 20180531_223230.jpg 20180531_233355.jpg Resized_PIC_20180531_233521963_7363.jpeg Resized_PIC_20180531_233436155_2098.jpeg 20180531_223230.jpg 20180531_233355.jpg

Traveler I

Texas
Sharp truck! The front runner each is legit. I wanted a tonneau cover as well so I could lock my stuff up underneath my RTT and I found the Undercover Ridgelander Tonneau. Thing is awesome. It comes with roof rack bars on top of it that make it easy to mount an RTT, bikes, fishing poles, skis etc etc. check that out!

Reactions: VST

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Thanks for the info that's an awesome bed cover! I'm actually thinking of going that route with a rtt or I just started looking around craigslist and found a few older model slide in pop up campers similar to the four wheel campers slide ins but for a lot cheaper. Not sure which route I want to go now?

Traveler I

Nor Cal
I'm following this thread because I am interested in the same. I own a 2017 Chevy Silverado. I also want a rack system but I honestly do not know the first thing on which one to get first.

I do need to level my truck though first before I buy a rack along with buying the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires.

Edit: I just noticed that you have the tires I want! I am still trying to decide what rims would look good with my Blue Chevy though. I am definitely not buying black.

Nice looking truck!

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
I'm following this thread because I am interested in the same. I own a 2017 Chevy Silverado. I also want a rack system but I honestly do not know the first thing on which one to get first.

I do need to level my truck though first before I buy a rack along with buying the Nitto Ridge Grappler tires.

Edit: I just noticed that you have the tires I want! I am still trying to decide what rims would look good with my Blue Chevy though. I am definitely not buying black.

Nice looking truck!
Thanks! The fox coilovers aren’t the cheapest route for leveling but they ride great. And so far the Nitto ridge grapplers have been amazing not very loud and great off road. You can’t go wrong with methods and I went with the bronze because I didn’t want black either.

OnMyWaypoint

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Union City, California 94587, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Calub
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WE6ABC
Nice truck, Polax! Please update us on how you like your suspension. I have a 2.5" front and 1" rear leveling kit on mine right now and am still researching on suspension kits.
I own a 2017 Silverado 5.8' bed. I used to have the Undercover Ridgelander Tonneau cover on it until I decided to put a Leer truck cap. (still have the tonneau cover). The cool thing about the Ridgelander Tonneau is the tracks to place a roof rack.
Going with the truck cap and a Decked drawer system, I now use the truck bed to sleep. My daughter, wife, and I sleep comfortably.
Good luck in your decision. Keep us posted. I hope to learn from all of you.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
The Fox has been great so far haven’t done much off-road yet but all around they ride better than the stock suspension. I added the conginito uca’s And cut the stock bump stops off to get a little more down ward travel. The ride is firmer feeling but I wouldn’t say it’s harsh or rough it’s definitly valued better to soak up bumps.

Reactions: OnMyWaypoint

OnMyWaypoint

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Union City, California 94587, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Calub
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WE6ABC
Thanks. A true suspension kit is on the list of things to do. You did a 2.5" lift. Any rubbing at full turn? I get an ever so slight rub with mine and I'm running 275 70 18 Terra Grappler G2 tires.

Thanks again for the update.

The Fox has been great so far haven’t done much off-road yet but all around they ride better than the stock suspension. I added the conginito uca’s And cut the stock bump stops off to get a little more down ward travel. The ride is firmer feeling but I wouldn’t say it’s harsh or rough it’s definitly valued better to soak up bumps.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Thanks. A true suspension kit is on the list of things to do. You did a 2.5" lift. Any rubbing at full turn? I get an ever so slight rub with mine and I'm running 275 70 18 Terra Grappler G2 tires.

Thanks again for the update.
No rub so far and I’m running 295-70-17 Nitto ridge grapplers

Reactions: OnMyWaypoint

silveradoproject28

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Albuquerque
Member #

I have a 2016 1500 crew cab with 5’8” bed. I’m just starting my build. I have 17 inch wheels, 285/70R17 KO2s and a level kit on the way. What’s the next step? I’m thinking front bumper because the stock one kills the ground clearance.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
I have a 2016 1500 crew cab with 5’8” bed. I’m just starting my build. I have 17 inch wheels, 285/70R17 KO2s and a level kit on the way. What’s the next step? I’m thinking front bumper because the stock one kills the ground clearance.
I’ve been looking into bumpers to but everything I’ve seen seems to be big and bulky I’m kinda looking for a pre runner type

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
I might just go with mazzulla skid plate for the front it gets rid of the black plastic piece giving more ground clearance and a nice skid plate for the center of the bumper. Also anyone on here running any pod lights I’m looking for some mounts to put behind the hood on the cowl.

Traveler I

Nor Cal
Nice truck, Polax! Please update us on how you like your suspension. I have a 2.5" front and 1" rear leveling kit on mine right now and am still researching on suspension kits.
I own a 2017 Silverado 5.8' bed. I used to have the Undercover Ridgelander Tonneau cover on it until I decided to put a Leer truck cap. (still have the tonneau cover). The cool thing about the Ridgelander Tonneau is the tracks to place a roof rack.
Going with the truck cap and a Decked drawer system, I now use the truck bed to sleep. My daughter, wife, and I sleep comfortably.
Good luck in your decision. Keep us posted. I hope to learn from all of you.
Were you at the meet on Saturday? Love your set up on your truck.

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

Mine is a 2011 Silverado. You are correct, there is not alot of aftermarket support for "Real" off road equipment for Chevy trucks. I am glad I built mine, but I wouldn't do it again. Hence, my new 4Runner. I have about $45K into mine and a lot of it was fabrication. But I would say anybody resonable could do. I will try to link the YouTube link to it's walk around but I may lack the likes. If not, you can search for "Silverado Expedition build overland truck" and it will give you a lot of ideas hopefully. Oh, and i would cosmoline those shocks!!!! I have the EXACT same ones and they were rusted after 1 year. It was a huge disappointment.

40158213_10211930922420832_871621260050694144_o.jpg 40071896_10211930921140800_1916548715397513216_o.jpg 40125315_10211930919820767_5623391489422786560_o.jpg