2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Diesel

• HTML tutorial

adventureresearch

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Salmon Creek, WA
Member #

Just bought a 2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Diesel! The wifey and I made a deal - if I got rid of the motorcycle I could get a truck. And so with a heavy heart I will be forfeiting my adventure motorcycling. However, I am excited to engage in weekend overlanding (and longer trips as time permits)!

I would like to retain the use of my bed, so a trailer build is likely to be in the works. In the meantime I may end up with a rooftop tent and truck cap/canback to get me by.

More to follow!

Attachments

Out_and_Back_Again

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Moscow, ID
First Name
Geoffrey
Last Name
Brown
I would look into getting a soft topper for the bed if you need access for hauling things. The soft toppers come off the bed really quick and easy.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I did pretty much the same thing. Sold my old Dual Sport/KLR650 that was decked out and got a new 2018 Colorado Z71.

This is by far the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. I feel like I have finally found something that is just right.

Anyways... I have been doing a lot of sitting around putting forth research and thought over the last few months on how I am going to go about getting the bed together (bought it on March 15th).

I need this truck for long daily commutes... work... and play. I also really need to be able to fit a sheet(or stack) of 4x8 sheets of plywood into the bed.

At first I was really looking at/loving the "Decked" bed system. With one of those in I can have a tonn of storage in the sliding drawers and the wheel wells would no longer be in the way of throwing sheets of plywood into the back. I would likely have to modify my tow package/bed extender to allow both sections to sit level with each other for those long boards and my fishing kayak. (I am too lazy to use a ladder rack BTW) lol.

Now... I recently discovered the Diamondback bed cover. They come in many layouts with hatches that open in many directions. With the base one you can put up to 400lbs on top. With the HD version you can put up to 2000lbs on top! It is designed to support multiple ATVs and has a ramp attachment for that.

Anyways, the diamondback system has many upgrades available for cheap. Including different toolboxes that can go under. There are tie-down points all over it and you can put on more if desired. It is basically like doubleing the amount of floor space you have for your truck bed. I am almost certainly getting one of these

adventureresearch

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Salmon Creek, WA
Member #

@slomatt

I love it! Absolutely no buyers regret. I actually got mine under a similar deal. For what you get I truly feel its hard to beat.

I get about 26 mpg on the highway, and my mixed driving is showing about 21 mpg provided I drive sensibly. The suspension is plush, and doesn’t roll in the corners during daily driving, but yet sucks up bumps phenomenally. Because it is a diesel its noticeably quieter during regular driving, but still gives a good exhaust note and plenty of torque when you get on it. The infotainment system puts Toyota’s to shame and I am anxious to see what apps will make their way into the CarPlay navigation arena since Apple announced they will be opening CarPlay up for third parties (GAIA?).

I haven’t had the opportunity to take it on any trails yet - but when I do I’ll make sure to post some pics/updates.

@great08

I am contemplating converting an S250 military shelter and building a custom offroad subframe for it. When I get to that point I may have to take a serious look at those DiamondBack covers.

Last edited:
Reactions: slomatt

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Good to hear that you are enjoying your truck!

Sounds like you are getting around the same fuel economy in your diesel ZR2 as I am in my gasser Z71. AKA awesome fuel economy! Especially for what your truck is set up for. My fuel economy would plummet if set up like that.

I have noticed that these trucks can get either waaay better or under the fuel rating based on driving habits and conditions.

I just commuted into work for the last few days in my wife's 4cyl 2wd front wheel drive Ford Escape and got an averaged 30.1mpg. My truck got 25.something mpg in the same conditions. Pretty good considering the extra weight, HP, 4wd, RWD, Size, and semi off-road tires my truck has. Less than a 5mpg difference... with a significant difference in capability and durability.

That being said her Escape has been pretty reliable at 136k miles... and I will be putting the miles on it over the next few years to keep around 100k mi off of my new truck. lol

Almost time to give the Escape and overhaul to keep it reliable.