2018 4Runner TRD Pro Build

• HTML tutorial

CragRat

Rank 0

Traveler I

New to the world of Overland. I have an open question and curious to see the responses. If you had $5,000 to drop into a 2018 4Runner TRD Pro where would you start and why? I'm seriously leaning towards a middle of the road suspension lift to start--

Looking for ideas from experienced Overlanders.

Cheers!

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First of all, great vehicle! Love the platform. How are you intending to use it? Fire roads, standard campgrounds, etc? Or are you looking to take on the more technical trails and remote exploring?

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
All pro off road sliders or something that will support the weight of the vehicle. You'll get nice suspension on the trd pro already. Other than sliders I tend to wait and see what I need the most and will find more useful. I bought a rooftop tent and AllPro apex rack for my Tacoma because I feel like I "need" them more than a upgraded suspension system. Honestly though the bilsteins that are on my 2017 Tacoma TRD off road don't really support the weight I'm carrying so that will likely be my next big upgrade. I don't do any extreme off roading either.

Like others and already said it depends on what you intend on doing. The trd pro is extremely capable right of the box. Spend the money on gas seeing what you like doing and go from there. Sorry I have to get back to shopping for a bunch of accessories I don't need. :)

Edit: Buy a freezer/fridge!

GoliathF350

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

309 North Garden Avenue, Siler City, North Carolina 27344, United States
First Name
Izzy
Last Name
H
Member #

All pro off road sliders or something that will support the weight of the vehicle. You'll get nice suspension on the trd pro already. Other than sliders I tend to wait and see what I need the most and will find more useful. I bought a rooftop tent and AllPro apex rack for my Tacoma because I feel like I "need" them more than a upgraded suspension system. Honestly though the bilsteins that are on my 2017 Tacoma TRD off road don't really support the weight I'm carrying so that will likely be my next big upgrade. I don't do any extreme off roading either.

Like others and already said it depends on what you intend on doing. The trd pro is extremely capable right of the box. Spend the money on gas seeing what you like doing and go from there. Sorry I have to get back to shopping for a bunch of accessories I don't need. :)

Edit: Buy a freezer/fridge!
It all depends on what type of trails you plan on going through, we need a little more info?

Izzy & Liz

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Tire and sliders, recovery gear, seat covers and floor mats,
Wait on the suspension until it’s not enough for what you need.
Very capable platform as is.

Reactions: Arailt

IRWaller

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Hope, PA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Waller
Member #

New to the world of Overland. I have an open question and curious to see the responses. If you had $5,000 to drop into a 2018 4Runner TRD Pro where would you start and why? I'm seriously leaning towards a middle of the road suspension lift to start--

Looking for ideas from experienced Overlanders.

Cheers!
1. Tires: BFG TA KO2 in a Plus Zero Size (265/75/R16) will get you 1 / Other options General Grabber ATx / Falken Wildpeak AT/3s (same size I rec. for KO2s)
2. Sliders: I like CBI Offroad's Slider
3. Portable Jump Starter (If waiting to go Dual Battery's)
That'll likely be it for a while... try it out to see if you need more...

4. Suspension: OME BP-51s and Leaf spring upgrade for rears to carry more weight routinely (Make sure you need this before dropping coin)
5. Dual Battery Setup & Wiring / Consider the ability to add solar to your system in future
6. Fridge? (I still use a Yeti/RTIC 45 type cooler)
7. Roof Top Tent (Alu-Cab Expedition Tent or a larger tent if more than 2 people) (Can take it off when not overlanding /camping and may not need to upgrade suspension for additional lift / weight -- unless rock crawling is your thing)

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainChallenge

MattyIce0317

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
Member #

Congrats on the 4Runner dude, they are awesome rigs. This is my build plan for my wife's '16 TRD Pro. My thought process is all about protection, a little more capability with more aggressive/larger tires, and recovery.

1 Pelfreybilt Sliders (shipped) ~$800
2 Toytec TRD Pro 2" lift ~$400
3 Tires 285/70-17s. ~$1000 these measure to about a 33x11.50x17, BFG KO2s, Falken WildPeaks, are decent all terrains
4 C4 Fab Bumper with light bar (shipped) ~$1200
5 Smittybilt X20 10k winch ~$600
6 Basic First Aid Kit, (Tourniquets, space blankets, bandages, hemostatic gauze, compression dressings, tweezers, sutures, trauma shears, SAM splint, etc) I know a few websites to order stuff from, pm me in you want.

thats about $4,000 there, the other grand I would put towards a recovery equipment if you don't have it (straps, tree savers, snatch blocks, max trax) then look at doing the tent/fridge/camping gear, roof rack.

For me personally in camp I utilize a ground tent, (its cheaper, plus I can leave it back at camp and go wheeling), I pack a cooler, as the longest trips I've been able to take are not over 72hrs, and I use a small coleman propane stove/grill combo to cook on.

Enjoy your Pro!

-Matt

Reactions: thejoking__explorer

thejoking__explorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver Co
Member #

I agree depends on what your going to be doing. I just took my stock 17 SR5P to moab and it did awesome! I did however learn what I NEED now. Sliders, tires and maybe a slight lift although I really didn't have any problems with clearance.

Attachments

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

The Pro comes with a decent TRD branded Bilstein 6112/5160 suspension, which gives it a 1" lift up front and 2" out back, so I'd focus on armor and tires.

Miller8152

Rank IV

Advocate III

Moorpark, CA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
I just got the wife a "2018 White 4Runner TRD Off-road Premium" (which has all the nice features) for her daily driver.

The first two major upgrades I did to it was rock sliders ($800) and Ridge Grapplers (hybrid MT/AT) 295/75 R17 on TRD Wheels ($2000). I will load some photos when I get a chance but it looks beefy. I am planning on adding the new TRD Fox shock (cost Unknown for now) which will essentially turn it into a Pro.

Reactions: Mike P