2018 4runner OR

• HTML tutorial

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Update: camping went pretty well. Roof rack is still water tight and came in handy. Lots of time traversing open pasture no issues very stable comfortable.

Sliders still on order, not worried at all about that. Biggest issue is going to be figuring out painting them..... thinking tractor implement flat black.

Future: going to an offroad park in the near future. Should have some cool pics. Other than sliders i am very happy with the setup now. Lots of room, lots of comfort, no question on if it will start.

Next 7 - 8 months 3/2 lift toytec, rear ladder, full size spare with like wheel.

Trips GA traverse

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Update: continued to map local sumter national forest roads.

I purchased a wind fairing and it b.c. worked great. MUCH better noise reduction and gained back most of the MPGs i lost. I was experiencing what could only be explained as a wind anchor holding me back. Very nice. Looks way better too. I will say it is a must unless you want to mount a light bar on the front under the rack.

I will continue to map forest roads and go camping...... one thing i noticed was the comfort i experienced. I was remarkably pleased with the 4runners performance and lack of rattles and squeaks.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Thank you for your service and welcome home!

I have a 2017 TRD Off road premium in silver. I did a 3” old man emu lift with spc upper control arms and put 285/70/17 KO2s on the factory wheel with no rubbing no trimming or adjustments AND got a great alignment. That trd pro wheel is only 7” wide. Your trd offroad wheel is 7.5” wide so you are better off sticking with that on larger tires. I recently switched to a 17x9” wheel with 285s. The extra width and offset required a major amount of trimming on the front fascia as well as a body mount chop and front mudflap removal. Good news is that I have room now for up to a 305,although the 285s have never left me wanting more tire. I have a build thread here and I am on t4r also.

Safe travels!

Reactions: DennisTheMenice

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thank you for your service and welcome home!

I have a 2017 TRD Off road premium in silver. I did a 3” old man emu lift with spc upper control arms and put 285/70/17 KO2s on the factory wheel with no rubbing no trimming or adjustments AND got a great alignment. That trd pro wheel is only 7” wide. Your trd offroad wheel is 7.5” wide so you are better off sticking with that on larger tires. I recently switched to a 17x9” wheel with 285s. The extra width and offset required a major amount of trimming on the front fascia as well as a body mount chop and front mudflap removal. Good news is that I have room now for up to a 305,although the 285s have never left me wanting more tire. I have a build thread here and I am on t4r also.

Safe travels!
Jelly of the lift. I am going to stay 275 or go to a 255 85 to prevent trimming. I have no wish for "big nasties" rolling on a 3+ inch lift.

2.5 - 3 is all i am going. I might plasti dip wheels... to get the full black on white.

Reactions: Louisiana Overland

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Update: well the wind fairing worked very well but it was still lacking. There was a 2 inch on either side still open to allow air in. So i filled the gap.

12x12 plexi glass
Gorilla 2 side tape
Tough trim guard
Plasti dip

The end product looks pretty good and now it sounds like the day i got it.

Alao installed my ARB breather kit. I installed it in the rear inside the jack and tool compartment. Will let you know how that goes.

Out of town for next 3 weeks ao no more updates.

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Update:

Lots of trail riding and mapping forest roads. To hot to camp, however, planning a trip in late July to the mountains. My dad pulled the trigger on a 2018 JLU Sport S manual No other options.

I tried to get him to get the anti spin but he didnt want it "dont need it if you know how to drive" plus it was a 2018 in june of 19.... so we recieved 3k off MSRP and 4k off if you factor in all the stupid dealer accessories. Then we negotiated in a factory trailer hitch and wiring. So i feel pretty good.

Sure i myself would want the Dana 44 and anti spin.... but it is a jeep and my dad loves it! He got so mad the last time we camped i had to get him unstuck, he sold his truck and a motorcycle to buy the jeep.

Mods:

Sliders are in and powder coated.
Ladder ordered
Mounting my tablet and phone
Red tow shackles
Cheap traction board for rack

Pics next week when i get them all installed.