2018 4runner OR

• HTML tutorial

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Well first like to say hello. New to overlanding and toyota in general. Just got off deployment and my first thing to do was buy a car. Seems like a wise purchase i know. However, my wife let my escape hybrid 185k miles sit for 5 months and the battery discharged completely. So it was 1500 to repair..... i opted for a new car. Been wanting a 4runner for a while but just couldnt justify the purchase. However faced with a bill of 1500...... i could!

Anyways i bought a 2018 TRD off road base cloth, KDSS, and thats it. Already started the mods. First hour i had it i had 275 70E 17 ko2s put on, coverking tactical seat covers, ordered CBI sliders, and rear orange boxx fabrication molli storage to both sides of the rear windows. Still waiting on the orange fab and CBI deliveries.

Overall my impressions are...... WOW. very simple to drive, smooth, plenty of power for me. Comming from hemi, and european cars in europe.

Next mods.

Simple lift until i figure out my needs wants. Bilsteins 5100 2 inch front 1inch rear.

Frontrunner roof rack full

C4 fab slimline front bumper
Winch smittybuilt

This is a daily driver so i need it to stay relatively simple.

Here is a pic.

20181216_091952~2.jpeg

MtnPwnd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mountain Home Idaho
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7IFA
I looked up CBI and they are based out of Idaho Falls, ID which is pretty close to me. They don't support the Sequoia but maybe they'd fab some stuff up for me if I brought it out to them. Nice looking build man. I'm also well versed in the deployments. I'm prior service but now go out to remote Alaska 9 months out of the year to do some work. Looking forward to the rest of your build my friend.

Reactions: DennisTheMenice

BrandonH

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

How are you liking the BFG KO2 275/70R17? I was looking into purchasing a set and figured I'd go with the stock size, but are you liking the bigger tire? Any issues with stock height? I have a 2018 Off Road as well

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

How are you liking the BFG KO2 275/70R17? I was looking into purchasing a set and figured I'd go with the stock size, but are you liking the bigger tire? Any issues with stock height? I have a 2018 Off Road as well
So far, i love them good road maners, quiet i replaced stock 1 hr after buying the 4runner so no basis vs stock. Averaging 17ish mixed driving mostly in town, rural roads. No rubbing in any direction.

Its a 32.2 inch tire so slightly taller than stock.

BrandonH

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

So far, i love them good road maners, quiet i replaced stock 1 hr after buying the 4runner so no basis vs stock. Averaging 17ish mixed driving mostly in town, rural roads. No rubbing in any direction.

Its a 32.2 inch tire so slightly taller than stock.
That's great to hear! Think I'm going to go with the 275s instead of the 265s then. Thanks! Also, I agree with your other post. I prefer the stock wheels vs the TRD Pro Black. The black looks good, but there's just something about those stock wheels that I like.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Truck looks Great sounds like you have quite a few projects in the works. Was the Reverse light new bulbs easy or a pain? I've done a few upgrades on my own 2018 TRD Off Road still plan on lifting up to 2.5" using a Old Man Emu BP51 Suspension Kit 2.5-3" Lift Kit Complete.jpg Emblem Rear Hatch 1.jpg Wet Okole TRD Seat Logo Covers.jpg Bushwacker.jpg Front Grille.jpg Rear Side View Driver Side.jpg (No KDSS)

Attachments

Reactions: Jeepinit

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Super easy no bolts just pop off the rear panel twist and replace. I got pretty cheap bulbs.... they are better than stock nice white output. Youncan spend major bank on lights.

Also i did the black out emblems to.
Did I miss it?? What brand lights did you use? Also, did you get your molli panels? I'm interested on how you arranged things on it.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Did I miss it?? What brand lights did you use? Also, did you get your molli panels? I'm interested on how you arranged things on it.
Ahhh, yes well the panels finally shipped friday and still havent showed up in fedex tracking ...... so no clue.

I used these lights......

Might upgrade the rears to perfect fits but for the price so far i like them.

Still awaiting the CBI sliders as well..... finaly decided to paint them with tractor paint flat black.

Also decided more or less on a toytech lift with UCAs. 3inch 2inch.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Ahhh, yes well the panels finally shipped friday and still havent showed up in fedex tracking ...... so no clue.

Still awaiting the CBI sliders as well..... finaly decided to paint them with tractor paint flat black.

Thanks. I will wait patiently for pics.[emoji41]

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Also added an ARB easy deflator and smitybuilt portable A/C.

Future plan, to mount my IFAC and First Aid kit, jumper cables, on pannels, along with knife 2 flashlights and a trash holder (dipers) i know total man rig.

Once my stuff gets back from Ft. Bliss. Stupid military has all my personal items from my deployment.

Also settled on the toytec lift 3/2 with UCAs for simplicity and price. Also becuase it allows to correct for the KDSS lean if present.

So far taken 2 trips into the national forest.... love the size, handing, ride, and confidence i have driving off paved roads.

Next week taking it for a 3 day trip on family land to sight in my rifles and camp. Lots of mud and technical terrain. Will report back with pics. I can finaly air down and up with no issues. Only missing a recovery option.... so not going to get to crazy.

Last edited:

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Back from trip. Went very nice plenty of time wheeling.

Three cool things.

1. At 7pm we rolled up and i promptly had to use 4hi...... well i looked back and my dad was taking my same path. He is in a 2wd F150. Needless to say he got stuck bad...... blocking the exit so i couldnt get to him. So LUCKLY i had just bought a set of xbull traction boards. I must say in 30 degree temps and road tires inflated to 50 psi they provided enough traction get a very heavy vehicle unstuck in reverse up a hill.

2. Using ARB EZ deflator is very easy and airing up using the smitybuily air pump is very quick and easy.

3. The 4runner was great very comfortable off road and then transitions back to on road vey well. Once aird down it provided a very smooth ride going cross country and the BFG KO2s provided plenty of grip in mud and hills.

Now it needs a bath.20190126_152224.jpeg20190126_152242.jpeg20190126_152232.jpeg20190126_090702.jpeg20190126_090701.jpeg

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

I have CBI’s on my 4Runner. Have not used them yet, but luv em. Super easy install!

Congrats on the 4 Runner!

Reactions: PatriotT4R

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I’ll be following your progress for sure. I did BFG ATs as well, I’ve really liked them. I did get the TRD wheels, mostly for a “factory” offset. Truly impressed with the capability of the rig.

I’ll be interested to see what you do for storage as well.

I’m going to start a simple cargo platform to manage the totes, cooler and dog

Reactions: Jeepinit